Topical Pirfenidone

Digidako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been researching this chemical for some time now and I think it has its place within a hair loss regimen.

"Pirfenidone(AMR69) is an inhibitor for TGF-β production and TGF-β stimulated collagen production, reduces production of TNF-α and IL-1β, and also has anti-fibrotic and anti-inflammatory properties."
attachment.php
TGFB1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Pirfenidone (< 300 μg/mL) suppresses the proinflammatory cytokine tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α) by a translational mechanism in RAW264.7 cells, which is independent of activation of the mitogen-activated protain kinase (MAPK) 2, p38 MAP kinase, and c-Jun N-terminal kinase (JNK). Pirfenidone (250 mg/kg) potently inhibits the production of the proinflammatory cytokines, TNF-alpha, interferon-gamma, and interleukin-6, but enhances the production of the anti-inflammatory cytokine, interleukin-10, in mice [1]. Pirfenidone (< 10 mM) leads to reduced glioma cell density in concentration-dependent manner in LN-18, T98G, LNT-229 and LN-308 cell lines. Pirfenidone (< 5 mM) reduces TGF-β bioactivity by affecting TGF-β2 mRNA expression and processing of pro-TGF-β in CCL-64 cells. Pirfenidone (< 8.3 mM) inhibits the activity of recombinant furin and downregulates the expression of MMP-11 in a dose-dependent manner in LN-308 cells [2].

- - - Updated - - -

TGF is blocked, therefore hypercollagenses within the hair follicle is also blocked.
IL-6 is blocked, therefore it cannot activate AR transcription machinery in the absence of an androgen (see picture 2).
Block the androgen receptor with RU or CB.

- - - Updated - - -

AS you can see in the attached photo, IL-6 has the ability to cause activation of androgen receptor genes even when DHT is absent from the actual receptor site. This could explain why some people still experience hair loss even while on finasteride/dutasteride.

Attachments

• Androgenetic Alopecia.png
    Androgenetic Alopecia.png
    102 KB · Views: 444

Digidako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I found this thread you probably saw already. It is from 2007, perhaps you'll find it useful as it applies to your hypothesis?

http://www.regrowth.com/hair-loss-forums/topic/perifollicular-fibrosis/

Thanks for the link !
It seems i'm not the only one who has thought of Pirfenidone as a potential treatment option.

Based on the science it [Pirfenidone] seems like a great candidate, the only issue would be knowing how it functions at the level of the hair follicle.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have a graduate degree in the life sciences?

Digidako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you have a graduate degree in the life sciences?
Finished with an Honours (BMSc) in Neuroscience last year, currently completing my M.Sc in Neuropharmacology and molecular cell biology, and then off to the joint MD/Ph.D program. 8 more years but i'll get through it.

Calchas

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So what happened?
Did you try it out?
There's a gel formulation of pirfenidone used to treat skin ulcers.Perhaps that's the best option for topical application.