topical or oral

Tombolino

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am starting Avodart. I have done a couple of days of applying topically to scalp with Aloe

But worried I should really take it orally

dunno

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would go with the proven method instead of the unproven. Sure dutasteride may absorb through your skin, but in theory it should have the same affect as taking it orally. When it absorbs through your skin, it will circulate throughout your entire body through the blood system.

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
It does circulate the same way, but goes through the liver first. I do not see a topical working any different then taking orally. It may be a little weaker.

tamercoil

Reaction score
from what i have read in other forums, the difference between oral and topical is that with topical (if u leave it for 3 min) u wont have the side effects that u will have if it was taken orally.

nohairnodandruff

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, thats just people talking in the forums. For all we know, putting .5mg of dutasteride topically on your head for 3 mins could be equivalent to taking .25 mg of dutasteride orally, which if dutasteride taking in smaller doses would reduce the side effects.

I'd actually like to see a scientific study on this.

tamercoil

Reaction score
ya but it is based on a book called Double-A, a guy makes a mixture of dutasteride and aloe vera, and applying it topically