Topical Melatonin for Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia

RStGeorge

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Five clinical studies showed positive effects of a topical melatonin solution in the treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia in men and women while showing good tolerability: (1) Pharmacodynamics under once-daily topical application in the evening showed no significant influence on endogenous serum melatonin levels. (2) An observational study involving 30 men and women showed a significant reduction in the degree of severity of alopecia after 30 and 90 days (P < 0.001) based on questionnaires completed by investigators and patients. (3) Using a digital software-supported epiluminescence technique (TrichoScan) in 35 men with Androgenetic Alopecia, after 3 and 6 months in 54.8% to 58.1% of the patients a significant increase of hair density of 29% and 41%, respectively was measured (M0: 123/cm2; M3: 159/cm2; M6: 173/cm2) (P < 0,001). (4) In 60 men and women with hair loss, a significant reduction in hair loss was observed in women, while hair loss in men remained constant (P < 0.001). (5) In a large, 3-month, multi-center study with more than 1800 volunteers at 200 centers, the percentage of patients with a 2- to 3-fold positive hair-pull test decreased from 61.6% to 7.8%, while the percentage of patients with a negative hair-pull test increased from 12.2.% to 61.5% (P < 0.001). In addition, a decrease in seborrhea and seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp was observed.

RStGeorge

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why wouldn't oral melatonin work better?

Been looking for oral melatonin studies but can’t find any.

As per my other response, topical does not get into blood stream and thus has a very good safety profile.

I would in fact prefer oral as it is more convenient.

But what I have noticed with topical is that it has almost completely ceased hairs unduly falling out from my hair pull tests.

This happened to me within a week of first application

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

As per my other response, topical does not get into blood stream and thus has a very good safety profile.

But what I have noticed with topical is that it has almost completely ceased hairs unduly falling out from my hair pull tests.

That could only happen seemingly if it immediately re-set anagen or if hair loss is stress related. I have taken melatonin for years and I started again a couple of months ago when I heard about that study but my hair was already growing like great gonzo so I lack any way to evaluate it. I know in the mid-90's melatonin was considered a smart med and wonder "drug" but they hype died down except for sleep induction.

champpy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what percentage of melatonin they are using in the topical solutions?

I have a compounding pharmacy that said they will make it, but they need my dermatologist to inform them of the concentration

partysnacks

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There have been several studies over the years lead by the same guy, T.W. Fischer. One study used 0.0033% and I think the others are 0.1%. TripleHair's TH-16 is 0.1% I think. I actually tried 0.1% melatonin for a few days a while back but it made me too tired the next day.

inmyhead

Reaction score

You use some premade solution or make topical yourself?

RStGeorge

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use a spray designed for sublingual application. Its a sleep enhancement spray.

It describes its melatonin component as 12x, whatever that means.

Since I apply it topically it does not make me feel sleepy.

It however makes my scalp feel better.

I apply it at night and by morning it has dried and in fact makes my hair look thicker.

RStGeorge

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
From the above linked study:

Based on the positive effects of melatonin on hair growth, ASATONA AG (Zug, Switzerland) developed a topically applied cosmetic hair solution with a melatonin content of 0.0033%, which was intended to slow the hair's aging process and be used as an adjuvant treatment for Androgenetic Alopecia.

RStGeorge

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interestingly, oral melatonin has recently been made available over-the-counter in Australia.

Previously could only get it with a Dr’s prescription.

RStGeorge

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That could only happen seemingly if it immediately re-set anagen or if hair loss is stress related. I have taken melatonin for years and I started again a couple of months ago when I heard about that study but my hair was already growing like great gonzo so I lack any way to evaluate it. I know in the mid-90's melatonin was considered a smart med and wonder "drug" but they hype died down except for sleep induction.

That’s my theory too Janey.

Cannot see any other way for such voluminous hair loss to cease so quickly.

whymedamn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
OK we need more info on this.

Also on sides ... Why has this not been picked u yet by major websites? Like follicle thoughts ..

inmyhead

Reaction score

There is another study, but pics just plain suck.

1629367150260.png

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am on topical melatonin + other "natural" topicals (taurine, caffeine, l carnitine l tarate) since July and my shedding is greatly reduced

I will soon add topical glutathione and topical celecoxib ( a selective cox2 inhibitor)

Last edited:

RStGeorge

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So you don't have male pattern baldness?

I am an NW7 with diffuse hairloss on the sides and back.

I started losing my hair at 16 and am now 55.

Yes, I definitely have male pattern baldness, the worst kind.

However two years ago I started taking oral finasteride and one year ago started taking oral min as well.

I have since seen hairgrowth on my crown and mid-front section.

However my sides and back of hair continue to thin out. Every time I would pull my fingers through my side or back hair, I got clumps, and the thinning on this region of hair has become quite noticeable.

I don’t get hair falling out from my crown nor in the mid-front section.

So apologies if I wasn’t clear.

I am a severe diffuse nw7, who has made gains on my crown and mid-frontal (not on hairline, not yet anyway).

But now I have seemed to stop this massive hairloss from sides and back with topical melatonin.