Topical Magnesium for male pattern baldness via decalcification

RStGeorge

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just came across a review of transdermal magnesium and hair regrowth and found it an interesting read.

I am not convinced at this stage b/c there are no supporting studies, but the argument it makes is that topical magnesium acts to help decalcify deposits in the scalp.

It is a good (but long) read, so I would encourage others to check it out.

I would be interested on your thoughts on the logic behind the claims, and also if anyone is aware of any human studies done to test the efficacy of trans-dermal magnesium on hair regrowth for androgenetic alopecia.

whitecoatblackhat

My Regimen
Reaction score
A few years ago I used magnesium "oil" (it's not really an oil per se but has a weird oily texture to it) also known as magnesium chloride, every day for 3 months.

I used the supposedly purest magnesium chloride from the Zechstein Sea.

Didn't see any results from it, however, I used it only for 3 months.

The problem with magnesium chloride is that you can't leave it on the scalp for too long because it's really irritating.

Plus, it "feels" like it clogs the scalp so you can't use other topicals until you've washed it off.

So you have to rub it onto your scalp and wash it off after 30-60mins.

When I was doing the research about transdermal magnesium a few years back, I remember coming across empirical data which stated that the serum levels of magnesium weren't elevated after the application of topical magnesium.

I'm not sure about that though, as magnesium (depending on the form) has a low MW and it should be readily absorbed through the stratum corneum.

It's important to note that this research was done on the skin, not on the scalp. The scalp has a higher permeability than the rest of the skin on the body because the hair follicles act like little "channels". I'm in a rush now and don't have time to look for the data backing this claim but you can google it yourself.

Magnesium citrate might be a better alternative to magnesium chloride if you want to go the topical magnesium route.

However, I don't think it works.

Just supplement orally with magnesium and stick to other more effective topicals.

RStGeorge

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A few years ago I used magnesium "oil" (it's not really an oil per se but has a weird oily texture to it) also known as magnesium chloride, every day for 3 months.

Thanks @whitecoatblackhat for a well informed comment.

You may be referring to the following study which concluded that transdermal magnesium was not absorbed well through the skin, but it was actually well absorbed through the scalp.

I too have found it irritating on the scalp but on my forehead it removed all sebum.

I also noticed clogging of the pores on the scalp so need to clean it thoroughly before applying anything else.

I am just testing this and have only been doing it for a week, but I also apply topical dutasteride, finasteride and min.

Many thanks

whitecoatblackhat

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks @whitecoatblackhat for a well informed comment.

You may be referring to the following study which concluded that transdermal magnesium was not absorbed well through the skin, but it was actually well absorbed through the scalp.

I too have found it irritating on the scalp but on my forehead it removed all sebum.

I also noticed clogging of the pores on the scalp so need to clean it thoroughly before applying anything else.

I am just testing this and have only been doing it for a week, but I also apply topical dutasteride, finasteride and min.

Many thanks

I believe that was one of the studies I was looking at, yes. But there were a few more if I'm recalling correctly.

I'm not sure if magnesium chloride is the best choice for transdermal magnesium, though.

And I don't know why this is the sole magnesium variant sold online for the purpose of transdermal absorption.

I get it that it has a low MW (~95 daltons) but still doesn't make sense because you can't compound a leave-on formulation with it (especially for the scalp, maybe for the skin you can).

I've thought about adding magnesium citrate (which also has a low MW) to my shampoo/gel that I create myself from scratch but other more important active ingredients take precedence in my formula right now.

I might try it in the future.

I'm glad that you're using proven medications like topical dutasteride, finasteride and min.

And good that you have an open mind and are willing to experiment.

Keep fighting the good fight

Thor9

Established Member
Reaction score
I just came across a review of transdermal magnesium and hair regrowth and found it an interesting read.

I am not convinced at this stage b/c there are no supporting studies, but the argument it makes is that topical magnesium acts to help decalcify deposits in the scalp.

It is a good (but long) read, so I would encourage others to check it out.

I would be interested on your thoughts on the logic behind the claims, and also if anyone is aware of any human studies done to test the efficacy of trans-dermal magnesium on hair regrowth for androgenetic alopecia.

Check out this website, where the creator seems to have gotten results using magnesium oil (along with many other things):