Topical immunosuppressant for transplants from other people?

Catpp

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi I don’t know if this sounds stupid to some of you but I was thinking
What if we could get a hair transplant from other people and use topical immunosuppressants so those hairs don’t get rejected?

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
A simple google search on this topic will tell you in a few sentences why this is a bad idea.

Organtransplants are life-saving, but finding well-matched donor organs can be difficult. Patients must also take immunosuppressive drugs for the rest of their lives to keep the immune system from attacking transplanted organs.

After an organ transplant, you will need to take immunosuppressant (anti-rejection) drugs. These drugs help prevent your immune system from attacking ("rejecting") the donor organ. Typically, they must be taken for the lifetime of your transplanted organ.

Monitoring is required because immunosuppressive drugs increase the risks of infection, malignancy, cardiovascular disease and bone marrow suppression. Some drugs have additional risks which require specific monitoring. Vigilance is needed as adverse effects may have atypical clinical presentations.

iCloud

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Extremely stupid idea. I know someone who has had a lung transplant and her quality of life is quite poor due to these drugs. Susceptibility to cancer (she has lots of skin cancer spots all over her body), serious stomach and bowel problems, susceptibility to fungal infections, and there are a lot of activities she cannot do because they are too dangerous because of the risk of infection. She spends a lot of her time in the hospital for check-ups, cancer treatments etc.
Since COVID-19, she has been pretty much confined to her house. She would not survive catching the virus.

Throwaway94

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is stupid. There's a reason cyclosporine A isn't really used topically either despite plenty of accounts of it aiding hair growth.

Ways to remove the dendritic cells from hair follicles are being developed so allogeneic transplants might be possible in the future.