Topical Finasteride?

Thomas

Established Member
Reaction score
This has come up probably a million times in the past, but is propecia going to come up with a topical sollution? Also, can finasteride be absorbed topically? For example, by just making a powder of the pills and mixing it with a leave-in conditioner or any other type of sollution?

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
well there would need to be a vehicle simular to what's in minoxidil to penetrate the skin is my guess. Alcohol,PPG,Water. just crushing up some pills and throwing it in leave in conditioner would probablyjust be a waste. Then you'd have to find out if finasteride can even be absorbed through the skin. There's a possibility that what it breaks down to (molecule or something) is too big to get through the skin.

Thomas

Established Member
Reaction score
BadHairDecade said:
well there would need to be a vehicle simular to what's in minoxidil to penetrate the skin is my guess. Alcohol,PPG,Water. just crushing up some pills and throwing it in leave in conditioner would probablyjust be a waste. Then you'd have to find out if finasteride can even be absorbed through the skin. There's a possibility that what it breaks down to (molecule or something) is too big to get through the skin.

I thought the same thing and then read that women should not even touch finasteride because it can absorb through the skin. Maybe I will crush up one pill and mix it in with my Copper Peptide conditoner, since I have had 3 hair transplants it will be hard to tell if it is working, but I do still have a few of my native hairs on the top of my head which I can expeiment with.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
I remeber I asked the same question a while back. It turned out that people have tried it already and all you get is a white sh*t on your hair.
PS I think your probably going to need more than one pill per bottle of CP spray

outgrowth

Established Member
Reaction score
BHD, have u heard about ppl that already tried topical finasteride?

It seems to be a good stuff, because 1mg for the entire body can inhibit 70% serum DHT and 30% scalp. Topical then should be even more effective. That's what they do in Mesotherapy (inject fina, etc, under the skin), and it seems to give good results.

Reaction score
Its not that we want to be skeptical, but seriously if it was that simple, most of us would be doing it. Its really not easy as crushing the tabs and putting on the scalp hoping it will be absorbed, and will have a positive effect.

viperfish

Reaction score
I thought that this was already tested and they deemed that it was not effective. This is one of the reasons they choose to go with oral administration along with the ease of eating a pill everyday. I could be wrong??

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll give the same response that I always do when this issue comes up:

The results of the few topical finasteride studies that have been done have been all over the map. One seemed to work reasonably well with no apparent systemic absorption; another one didn't do ANYTHING AT ALL, despite topical application in a strong alcoholic vehicle (no local effects at all, no systemic effects at all); and others (including animal experiments) have worked sort of in between those two extremes, along with a certain amount of systemic absorption.

Bryan

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
does this mean revivogen probably doesn't work either?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

outgrowth

Established Member
Reaction score
well, i dont know.. for me, topical finasteride doesnt have a reason to not work.. anyone know a really good vehicle that can be used (besides ethanol, glycerine and ppg) ???

macdruid

Established Member
Reaction score
jimmystanley said:
does this mean revivogen probably doesn't work either?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

No, because Revivogen is not finasteride... and different chemicals work well in different ways.

G

WTF!

you are moving a thread on topical finasteride, yet leave a thread on hairloss T-Shirts and L-Arginnine??!!!!

madness!

viperfish

Reaction score
tynanW said:
WTF!

you are moving a thread on topical finasteride, yet leave a thread on hairloss T-Shirts and L-Arginnine??!!!!

madness!

Hey what is the matter with my L-Arginine post??? :p

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
tynanW said:
WTF! you are moving a thread on topical finasteride, yet leave a thread on hairloss T-Shirts and L-Arginnine??!!!! madness!
Cut them a break TW! General Discussions can include Hair Loss TShirts. Topical Finasteride is an experimental treatment, so it makes sense to put it in the ... errr ... Experimental Treatments section.

HairLossTalk.com

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
jimmystanley said:
does this mean revivogen probably doesn't work either????????

No. There is no similarity in structure between the fatty acid molecules in Revivogen and the finasteride molecule (which, after all, is an "azasteroid", a modification to the basic steroid structure). Just because one works (or doesn't work) topically says nothing whatever about whether the OTHER one works or not.

Bryan

Wanker

Reaction score
From what I uderstand merck has filed a patent for topical finasteride, so my guess is that it works if the proper delivery solution is used... There is a company that makes liposomal finasteride outside the US, here: http://www.lipoxidil.com/site/fina.php . Also I read an interview (I think with Dr Lee) that said it is effective but merck made a pill because they felt it would be prefered over a topical.

My only concern with a topical would be that the residue could contaminate things and maybe get into the system of pregnant women.

nobold

Reaction score
shosho said:
well, i dont know.. for me, topical finasteride doesnt have a reason to not work.. anyone know a really good vehicle that can be used (besides ethanol, glycerine and ppg) ???

DMSO?