Topical Finasteride which "locks into the scalp to avoid systemic absorption"

baldboys

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
seens a bit scamy and without the fda there is no way of knowing if it really works.

Breyfogle

Established Member
Reaction score
Is 5-AR even inhibited at the follicle level? I didn't think it was.
Is there an expert on here who knows?

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
From my understanding, the only topical finasteride that's kinda, sorta worth talking about is the upcoming formulation from Polichem which is currently undergoing clinical trials. All other topical finasteride products derive almost all of their entire effect by going systemic. In other words, you're better off popping a pill.

Felipe302

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, we have to consider that those are among the best doctors in the field. A scam would be short sighted and would hurt more their credibility than anything.

If I'm not mistaken Merck intended to make a topical formulation of propecia at first, but ended up making a pill because their research indicated that patients preferred that way.

Some people smarter than me already said that finasteride had to go systemic to be able to work. I don't know, maybe they are right. But common sense tells me, why would polischem invest money in something that won't be used by anyone, in case it has the same sides? Same reasoning apply to H&W.

People will always prefer a pill, unless it's side effect free, the topical makes no sense, and investing time and money on it makes even less.

They claim their vehicle binds finasteride in the scalp if I understood it right, well I believe more in this approach than the polischem approach, which sounds like homeopathy, lol.

abcdefg

Reaction score
What is the timeline on the topical formulation by Polichem or those trial results? If the cost is reasonable maybe that is a valid approach. Viable ways to deliver topical drugs exists so its a bit odd we are all still floundering about trying to find any topical that works without going systemic.

g.i joey

Reaction score
why cant we have a SERM but for DHT... stopping the dht at the follicular level... that would be a godsend.

mr_robot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There is already a topical 5AR inhibitor, Alfatradiol which a study showed that it slowed down or stopped hair loss (in women) but did not result in regowth. Pantostin comes with 0.25mg/ml so a 3ml dosage would be 0.75mg, however how much of that actually gets absorbed into the scalp is anyone's guess.

Ideally what we want is something that blocks the DHT from attaching to the Androgen Receptor at the follicle, Vitamin E succinate was shown to block the AR for prostate cancer cells.

paleocapa89

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna go ahead and ask the same questions I asked on another hair loss site maybe someone here can answer it:

1: If this is something that you use every day for the rest of your live, what happens to the silicone particles that is in the solution. To my best knowledge silicone in not excreted from the body. Or is it sitting on top of your head and slowly releasing finasteride to your scalp? That would be good.

2: Is this study all they did? https://3pfizs243h34c09mn6s0ul69-wp...evaluation-finasteride-solution-DR-HASSON.pdf
If I understood it correctly they are basically guessing the systemic finasteride concentration based on an in vitro study and a mathematical formula?? They didn't even measure systemic finasteride concentrations by taking blood samples?

abcdefg

Reaction score
A lot of people would like to have an affordable version of finasteride that goes minimally systemic and acts as locally as possible. Its always what we wanted a way to locally shut down receptors just in the scalp or stop androgens just in the scalp. Twenty something years later and nothing exists yet.

Follisket

Established Member
Reaction score
Its always what we wanted a way to locally shut down receptors just in the scalp or stop androgens just in the scalp. Twenty something years later and nothing exists yet.

Which is precisely why I find this so hard to believe. For 20-something years people were looking for something just like this while science seemed to be unable to produce it - now something pops up just like that and no big deal is made about it within the scientific community?

jd_uk

Reaction score
This would be very interesting. Anyone who has info please post.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually....one major drawback. If pregannt women are not even allowed to touch a propecia pill then that is going to be a long time off it while you try to have kids/she is pregnant. Would be too risky having that on your head. Or even around kids?

jd_uk

Reaction score
Did some reading on this. It absorbs into the body just as if you had taken it orally. On top of that, like i said, yoi're walking aeound with finasteride on your head...potentially dangerous to others. Nothing to see here sadly.

Felipe302

Established Member
Reaction score
I sent them an email asking about it. They answered:

"Thank you for your inquiry. We are still working on the final details of the topical finasteride and should have more information in the next 6-8 weeks. Please contact us in the Spring and we will be able to answer all your questions."

Anyway, I read some posts on that Italian forum, and some guys claiming to be users of this topical are having side effects =/

Breyfogle

Established Member
Reaction score
Topical finasteride is only slightly better, and I have used it for over a year now.

But keep in mind, I only took half the dose (from Jan 2015 - Nov 1st 2015). Only in the last three months have
I used the full .1 ml dose, which equals one milligram oral (Propecia).

It is good. I'm in my forties, so I really didn't expect anything. But, for my right temple, I definitely got results!!

Still a Norwood three (was a four in 2013/2014.).

However, it has the same side effects. The only difference is liquid .1ml reduces scalp DHT by 80%. Oral reduces by 75%.

There's been government studies. Liquid is just as effective as oral. Personally I think it's a little better because it attacks DHT at the source.

But side effects are probably equal, as far as the prostate.

K9 you mean sexual sides or 'brain fog'?