Topical finasteride - Support for a Beginner

Timmy_17

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello

Long time lurker here! I was hoping I could ask for some help...

So i've recently taken the finasteride plunge (after a lot of deliberation) and am using topical (I really don't want to go down the oral route) for my diffuse pattern. I have a pre made solution from a place in the UK which i've just recently started using (min 5% and finasteride 0.05%)

To minimise the risk of sides, I have decided to microdose the topical solution. So far, to do that, I have been using only 50ml of the solution a day (as opposed to the 2ml recommended label dosage).

a) Is this a pointless exercise (is that dosage too low to see any kind of benefit)
b) Instead of reducing the dosage amount, would I be better off to reduce the frequency instead? (so apply the full 2ml every other day/two days instead)? The 'half life' is something that keeps cropping up so just wanted to get your view around the best way to approach this!

Sorry for sounding like such a novice and thanks for your help!

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical finasteride goes systemic just as much as oral finasteride does. But some say, and I’m not entirely sure about this, topical finasteride inhibits more scalp dht.

And yeah you can do it EOD, or MWF. Depends on what you can tolerate

jazz1

Reaction score

Timmy_17

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think
Topical finasteride goes systemic just as much as oral finasteride does. But some say, and I’m not entirely sure about this, topical finasteride inhibits more scalp dht.

And yeah you can do it EOD, or MWF. Depends on what you can tolerate
I think i'm starting to reverse my decision in that case and will probably look to discontinue using it

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think

I think i'm starting to reverse my decision in that case and will probably look to discontinue using it
Not to say that topical isn’t safer than oral. Topical is always better side effect-wise from what I’ve seen. My point was that it can go systemic just as much as oral.

-G-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not to say that topical isn’t safer than oral. Topical is always better side effect-wise from what I’ve seen. My point was that it can go systemic just as much as oral.

Is there a guide on recommended percentage when going topical?

I currently do 1mg every three days.

i seen some topics around 20% which is way more than the 1mg.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there a guide on recommended percentage when going topical?

I currently do 1mg every three days.

i seen some topics around 20% which is way more than the 1mg.
Since finasteride’s molecular size is small you don’t need to concentrate it that much. It’s not like topical dutasteride. I think most people do .25%. So around there. Try to get 1 mg, maybe slightly more, in like 3 ml. Depends on your balding pattern.

20% is insane lol

-G-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Since finasteride’s molecular size is small you don’t need to concentrate it that much. It’s not like topical dutasteride. I think most people do .25%. So around there. Try to get 1 mg, maybe slightly more, in like 3 ml. Depends on your balding pattern.

20% is insane lol

That is what I was thinking. 20% is insane.

Okay thanks! That makes sense.

balding101202

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you guys have concern about Finasteride being applied topically - I mean if someone would touch your hair or you would leave the residual on your pillow or something like that. I mean, not for other males, but for those that have children at home or wife pregnant etc. Also when you wash your hands after application, don't you introduce the tiny amount of it into water system? This is the only thing that really concerns me at the moment regarding topical route and why I am reluctant to start it.

Or is the residual concentration too low to worry about anything?

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use slightly lil more than .25 mg topical finasteride daily for 1+ years and dont think its helping. Less sides than oral finasteride