Topical Finasteride/minoxidil = No Result?

zyzzalive

My Regimen
Reaction score
On minoxidil 5% twice a day for 2 years now. Topical finasteride (.5-.75mg a day) with minoxidil for 10 months now. Really no difference in situation after I started topical finasteride (from minoxidilmax).

Am I a non-responder? Should I try and get oral finasteride? Should I add RU to my minoxidil solution?
Im very desperate at this point. 24 y.o with diffuse Androgenetic Alopecia. Cant leave the house without a shitload of toppik on frontal parts. Toppik on crown looks unnatural since crown is so thin. Anyone here has a advice?

ButWhyTho

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
use 100mg ru a day in erh/pg vehicle. test this for 3 months. most of the ppl will notice reduced sheet within 1-2 month, regrowth is possible. minoxidil is weak mate

You understand that there has been no human studies done on RU?
It's a untested chemical whose adverse effects have not been documented properly...

Whereas there's been over 20 years reach on finasteride and it's well documented effect on hair loss.

zyzzalive

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive picked topical over oral since it was easy to get without prescription, was in military service so I didnt want offical meds.

ButWhyTho

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive picked topical over oral since it was easy to get without prescription, was in military service so I didnt want offical meds.

Well do you insurance through your military service? Why not simply setup an appointment with a dermatologist. You can usually even get consultations with hair transplant surgeons for free. They'll be to address your questions more succinctly. I'm assuming your in the states, but that might not be the case. Also what's the issue with being on finasteride and serving in the military?

use ru since 2012, no sides

used oral finasteride for 12 years, negative change of my body (gyno, libido, neg. coenesthesia). merk is not telling the truth.
Yes I agree that they're are risks associated with finasteride and that the studies drastically underreport the side effects. But there's no way to tell RU is safe simply based on anecdotal stories.

reyl

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
just say that i use ru since 2012 with no sides. everybody has to decide by his own if or not to go experimental. this was my own decision
And you should continue to stress that it was your own decision, because there's a reason why that chemical was abandoned and never picked up for mass marketing, let alone clinical trials. Finasteride is far safer in comparison.

zyzzalive

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I didnt want a official prescription. And im out of US btw. But now im out of service and thinking about oral finasteride, maybe it works better.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score

zyzzalive

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have you tried the technqiue similiar to someody's thread here https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...inasteride-results-7-mo-treatment-pics.44087/ just roling very lightly with 1.5 dermaroller before applying your minoxidil. There is also the option of oral minoxidil. I have no experience with topical finasteride so can't comment on that.

Thanks! So dermarolling everyday, light/no pressure for better absorption. And switchting to oral finasteride. Maybe throw in zix lotion now and then.

zinny999

Reaction score
On minoxidil 5% twice a day for 2 years now. Topical finasteride (.5-.75mg a day) with minoxidil for 10 months now. Really no difference in situation after I started topical finasteride (from minoxidilmax).

Am I a non-responder? Should I try and get oral finasteride? Should I add RU to my minoxidil solution?
Im very desperate at this point. 24 y.o with diffuse Androgenetic Alopecia. Cant leave the house without a shitload of toppik on frontal parts. Toppik on crown looks unnatural since crown is so thin. Anyone here has a advice?

What Norwood level are you? If you can tell us it will be easier to gauge what kind of chance and success you could have.

Oral finasteride is dangerous, it causes you organs to shutdown and stop making hromones essential for being Male.
You be no better cutting of your balls.
RU is better topical than finasteride, however Derm roller may also be an option before switching to RU or adding RU.

You need to give it 3 month for Dermroller to work though.

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride had in my case a pretty bad impact to my body and „in my case“ ru not. all the rest has everybody to decide or test by his own

and honestly, the misuse of the legal drug dutasteride over years as hair loss treatment, is not less dangerous as ru. both have its risks

ru was not abandoned due safety concerns, there was just no interest to spend the money. yes, human tests are open. the only we have, is a big ru user group that does frequently the needed blood analysis. my blood and as well my genetic analysis (yes, i spent the money) is still fine.

all above is valid for me only!

Well you should qualify your advice then instead of just telling someone to use ru and not finasteride. You have no idea why ru was abandoned, it very could have been safety concerns. finasteride has about 20 years of use without any real significant organic side effects where as we can’t say the same for ru which could easily cause heart failure, cancer, who knows.

And avodart isn’t “misused” it is used off label like thousands of other medications. It just means it hasn’t gone through the fda approval process for that specific purpose.

zyzzalive

My Regimen
Reaction score
What Norwood level are you? If you can tell us it will be easier to gauge what kind of chance and success you could have.

Oral finasteride is dangerous, it causes you organs to shutdown and stop making hromones essential for being Male.
You be no better cutting of your balls.
RU is better topical than finasteride, however Derm roller may also be an option before switching to RU or adding RU.

You need to give it 3 month for Dermroller to work though.

Norwood 3V, and diffuse. Already dermarolling

Tommybommy1363

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
ask me in 10 and 20 years again, i will give u my assessment, the last 6 years (on ru) went pretty well. no finasteride - better life.

however, finasteride is ok for some years, the problem is longterm. i assume you know PFS, happend to many longterm users (> 10y). me included (13y of use)

Your experience is n=1. Pretty much you get for ru is a bunch of n=1 (one of those n=1 reported dying from ru, many report pfs). We have no actual data so it’s anyone’s guess what risks this stuff carries. Hair isn’t worth that.

Propecia has large randomized control trials, the gold standard. We know the risks of propecia. Pfs is very unlikely to be organic, but even if it is real then against the sample size of millions it’s a pretty low risk.

Ninja Turtle

My Regimen
Reaction score
LOL at people recommending RU yet saying finasteride or dutasteride are poison. Remind me, which one’s are FDA approved and have a proven track record? Hop on dutasteride and Nizoral and forget HairLoss forever.

zyzzalive

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok I got 5mg finasteride from the Doctor. Cutting into 4ths or better splitting into 5ths?