Topical finasteride - I'll give it a go

hairsucks

Established Member
Reaction score
I know some of you guys don't think topical finasteride works or if it does it's because of it being systematically absorbed.

There is plenty people claiming great success with topical finasteride, some claiming it's better then oral finasteride.

I'm willing to give it a try because I can't take it internally anyway. for you who are interested, here is some more information.

I'm thinking about adding some finasteride powder to my 5% spironolactone cream. I've already added it to my tricomin and it seems to dissolve good enough.

http://www.hairsite2.com/waseda/antiandrocream/forum23summary.htm

http://www.hairlosshelp.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=10&threadid=74840

HairRebirth

Established Member
Reaction score
I stop finasteride too, and I would be willing to use some of the rest finasteride capsules to make such a thing...i.e. to put finasteride powder in my jason thin to thick sampoo or even in my rogaine ...but maybe its a silly thought... :$

I dont use spironolactone (never tried) and I decided not to use revivogen..so my only anti-dht weapon is nizoral....hope that rogaine will save my finasteride-hair...

hairsucks

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think it would be silly to put the finasteride in your minoxidil.

If you click in the second link, the guy is using 5x crushed finasteride pills in his minoxidil with good results. He's not the only person to claim this either.

Plus, Dr Klein has included finasteride in his promox as a small study showed it beneficial even at 0.1%.

Other makers are including finasteride in there solutions too like Sinere. I don't use minoxidil but I might try it again with added finasteride soon.

Apparently Merc did study on the effectiveness of topical finasteride against oral consumption but it proved less effective so they didn’t release a topical solution. :dunno:

hairsucks

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is the link of the triple-blind clinical trial from Dr Klein.

http://www.anagen.net/promox study.htm

Discussion

This study indicates that topical application of Minoxidil and Finasteride leads to better hair growth. Combination therapy was thrice as effective as any one of them. These results were documented in a triple-blind clinical trial using a subjective questionnaire, objective examination and close-up photographs. The findings are statistically significant. The study design and objective evaluation rule out observer bias, a common source of error in clinical trials. The two drugs have different route of action and combined use allows for a dual action. It may also be possible to reduce the dose of each drug, decreasing their individual side-effects.
Conclusion

A combination therapy of Minoxidil and Finasteride shows great promise in the treatment of hitherto difficult condition Alopecia androgenetica. It may potentially become the main stay therapy in this condition.

HairRebirth

Established Member
Reaction score
Personally, I stop finasteride cause I have serious sexual sides. If I use topical finasteride (and lets say that it works, which means that its beeing well absorded..) maybe I will continue have the same sides..so why to do that?

hairsucks

Established Member
Reaction score
HairRebirth said:
Personally, I stop finasteride cause I have serious sexual sides. If I use topical finasteride (and lets say that it works, which means that its beeing well absorded..) maybe I will continue have the same sides..so why to do that?

I stopped finasteride because of sexual sides as well. I'm going to try this topical finasteride anyway, If I get sides, I'll simply stop using it.

I'm mostly interested in this because people (who had sides from oral finasteride) have mentioned using topical finasteride with regrowth and no sides. Weather it's the fact that such a little amount gets absorbed I don't know.

It's just an experiment I’m going to try. I'm not saying it will work, I don't know if it will give me sides but there is one way to find out.

Here is a study on topical finasteride absorbtion from Tabriz University of Medical Sciences:

http://pharm-sci.tbzmed.ac.ir/Archive/S ... cts/12.pdf

Abstract: Topical finasteride formulation is one of the most effective treatments of
androgenic or male pattern alopecia. The effectiveness of these formulations strongly
depends on the penetration of the drug through scalps skin. In this study, we tried to
formulate finasteride topical formulation with suitable percutaneous absorption as well as
good appearance, consistency, spreadability, viscosity and stability. For this purpose, 14
formulations were prepared using different solvent systems and investigated in the case of
stability and physical characteristics. Three different formulations were selected for
percutaneous absorption studies. These studies were done by using standard Franz
diffusion cells and reverse phase HPLC method. In the second step, three penetration
enhancers (SLS, CTAB and transcutol P) with different percents (0.25, 0.5, 1 and 2 w/v %)
were added to the base formulation and the effect of them on the skin absorption of
finasteride were studied. The results did not show any skin penetration enhancement SLS
and CTAB in all percents whereas; transcutol P enhanced the transdermal absorption of
finasteride significantly. Optimum percent for transcutol P was determined 1% (w/v).
Trnscutol P with 0.25% concentration also increased percutaneous absorption of the drug in
the first sampling time (15min). Inability of SLS and CTAB in enhancement of the drug
penetration through the skin probably aroused from drug-enhancer complexation and
formation of micelles with low penetration ability containing the drug molecules.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say that, for me anyway, topical finasteride has not worked. It may be because of the low concentration I'm using (0.02% w/v or 1/4 crushed pill in 60ml), but anymore and I get side effects!

(Been using it for the past year)

pippo24

Reaction score
0.02% w/v or 1/4 crushed pill in 60ml),
that´s not 0,02%
A pill is 2,5 mg 60ml is about 60000mg so if i´m right your concentration was 0,0014%
So it´s no wonder it didint work

hairsucks

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah that is an extremely low dosage, and you say you get sides if you use more?

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, I can feel effects when I dissolve 2.5mg! I may have become hypersensitive to the drug. But when you look at it in different terms besides concentration you can see why.

If you dissolve 2.5mg into 60ml, you'll be getting dosed around 0.083mg per day. Factor in that we aren't too sure whether you can equate that to the same amount swallowed (due to destruction in stomach acid, differences with absorption through the skin) then anything goes..

larry70470

Reaction score
I reported on August 19th that I would try the home made version of 4 crushed Propecia pills to a new 60ml container of Rogaine. I apply this twice a day and also use the Rogaine Foam once a day. I also alternate between 2% Nizoral and Nano Shampoos. Its been 4 months and there is absolutely no new regrowth. Over the years I have tried most things that appeared logical, absolutely nothing worked for me.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Any update on this ?