Topical Finasteride: Any Success Stories From It?

Suswang

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, all.
I was thinking about getting this compounded along with minoxidil.
Has anyone seen success from that?
(Perhaps I am not looking at the right threads for it?)
Thank you.

Also, I saw this in an article on this site regarding topical finasteride:
"In fact, it is one of the main reasons why several very effective topically applied treatments never make it to market. They’re systemically absorbed and are too dangerous to the system."
Does anyone know the source of that information?

MomoGee

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Definitely worth a try.

Now, as far as your question about systemic Finasteride, that's Hasson & Wong. Their topical
goes directly systemic, once it hits the scalp.

As a result, they are not being approved in the US market. That's what the holdup is about. They
are in Canada only, as far as I know.
They posted on their website that the transcutaneous drug delivery using their new gel will result in only 1/18 of the dose to go into circulation so systemic absorption is much less.

Do you have a source as to why you believe it goes fully systemic?

Having seen some studies on finasteride's inhibition curve, the 1/18 that does go systemic is enough to reduce serum DHT as much as the full oral dose, but point remains that a smaller amount of the drug will go into circulation.

Willy_Aer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah but the point would be to reduce scalp DHT without reducing the system level of DHT...and by that logic 1/18 would be enough to give sides driven by dht reduction.

Quest

My Regimen
Reaction score
This was written by a pharmacist, written with regards to the dosage.

They are doing 2.5%!!!!

That is 25mg/ml!!! Over time I find it

hard to believe that the patients would not get side effects. That is 5X the oral tablet dose for prostate issues!!!

In this article, they describe how it is a good delivery to target sites.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18161632

It hits more than five times the drug in skin. But that doesn't mean it doesn't go systemic though. (eventually).

this is why liposomal formulas for finasteride could be a godsend for those WITH sides. you don't need 2.5%. You could get away with .025% and see maintenance/possible regrowth (it's easy to conclude that those with sides would see the side we're after- hair regrowth.) Remember they recommend this every 3 days or so.

Desmond for example has taken .25 2x/week and has seen complete recovery from a nw3.5 > Norwood 1.5.

Do this topically and virtually eliminate any significant hormonal shifts.

Quest

My Regimen
Reaction score
I really like the sound of that. That's where my forehead is at 3.5++!! It sucks.

If I'm lucky enough to get a second chance (a big IF, that is), I'm probably going to
get it with Histogen. It's not that promising, but there are guys in my age bracket
getting results (very old).
have hope, you never know what the future holds!

Homie

Reaction score
"Having seen some studies on finasteride's inhibition curve, the 1/18 that does go systemic is enough to reduce serum DHT as much as the full oral dose, but point remains that a smaller amount of the drug will go into circulation."

Why would the 1/18th that goes systemic reduce DHT as much as a full oral dose where *100%* goes systemic? That makes no sense.

rupture

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"Having seen some studies on finasteride's inhibition curve, the 1/18 that does go systemic is enough to reduce serum DHT as much as the full oral dose, but point remains that a smaller amount of the drug will go into circulation."

Why would the 1/18th that goes systemic reduce DHT as much as a full oral dose where *100%* goes systemic? That makes no sense.
Oral passing through the liver ?

MomoGee

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Finasteride has a flat dose response. Essentially getting 0.05mg into you system is the same as getting 1mg