Topical Finasteride 0.1% experiences/results

tom305

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to ask (especially those who are using it) about your experiences with topical finasteride (0.1% concentration or another).
Im using topical finasteride 0.1% (alone with nothing else yet) for 4 months now and I probably got some increased shedding due to it that started like 3 weeks ago (and probably still continues, although it might decreased a little, but I cannot say it stopped yet) and at the moment the overall situation is (even logically) obviously worse - front area and temples are more thinned and I visibly lost density at the back of head under the vertex, where the shedding was actually most active than at the top of the head (just to mention Im not applying finasteride under the vertex, Im using it just on the temples/top of the head and vertex). I have longer hairs so it is noticeable by touch. The topical finasteride I have is a pharmacy compound (it is a foam version, not liquid or gel version), I apply it once a day, I was recommended to apply twice a day, but when I apply it twice a day, I get oily hairs and itch, so I just apply once a day and my skin seems ok.
I have read quite a lot about finasteride shedding but nevertheless I want to ask if it is normal to shedding hairs basically everywhere on the head with topical finasteride than just in the areas where Im applying it?
I have also read about reflex hyperandrogenicity, but Im not sure what to think about it - I just think it is not my case.
I can also mention that I havent experienced any side effects so far.

I know that 4 months are probably too soon for finasteride, but as I said so far the situation is rather worse - I havent see any positive results so far, theres no sign of any new hairs growing yet, my hair fall during showering or during daytime is +- same like before (I lose around 30 or 40 hairs a day and around 130 or 150 hairs during shower) and I would like to ask about your experiences - for example how long does your shed lasted and how many hairs you have regrow? I would also appreciate any possible recommendations/advices.

I was also thinking about adding minoxidil to my routine (probably Rogaine 5% foam, I have tried liquid before and it was not good for my skin) - for example at the morning topical finasteride and at the night minoxidil, but I really hesitate to add it to my regimen at this time, because Im afraid of the possible minoxidil shedding it can cause, which could make my situation even more worse when Im just going through one shedding.

FilthyFrancis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would postpone the minoxidil until your situation gets more stable with finasteride. You know what they say: ride out the shedding for at least one full year before giving up on AA. Now, riding out a shedding is easier said than done. The reality is you have no guarantee what you are shedding now will come back stronger tomorrow, although odds are with you.

I must add that, at 0,1% daily, finasteride is going systemic for sure. Chances are sides will creep in slowly. You must be aware of this.

Lastly, it seems to me that shedding on topical AA is almost (if not always) certain. I can't really explain it but somehow, it seems all topical users (me included) went through a dramatic shed when implementing their regimen.

Last edited:

tom305

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would postpone the minoxidil until your situation gets more stable with finasteride. You know what they say: ride out the shedding for at least one full year before giving up on AA. Now, riding out a shedding is easier said than done. The reality is you have no guarantee what you are shedding now will come back stronger tomorrow, although odds are with you.

I must add that, at 0,1% daily, finasteride is going systemic for sure. Chances are sides will creep in slowly. You must be aware of this.

Lastly, it seems to me that shedding on topical AA is almost (if not always) certain. I can't really explain it but somehow, it seems all topical users (me included) went through a dramatic shed when implementing their regimen.
I have no doubt that 0.1% topical finasteride can go systemic also, but I think its still less chance to get side effects from it than from oral tablets, + Im applying smaller daily dose than that I was recommended in pharmacy as I mentioned above. Can I ask you what topical AA do you use? And how long did your shedding lasted?
Its been a month now since I noticed increased shedding and till this day I think it still continues, though not at that high extent like at the start, but I probably cannot say it stopped yet... Im shedding mainly longer "normal" (not any healthy according to appearance) to thin hairs and unfortunately as I said, front area and temples are at this moment worse than before I started with topical finasteride, hairs thinned and fell out in this area and my skin under hairs is more noticeable. No sign of any reduced hair loss or regrow so far...

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I been on topical finasteride for 1+ year and not sure if its helping and looking into duta

drprepper123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Were you on oral finasteride before? What are the differences in side effects and results? Are you noticing a major difference?

tom305

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I have been on topical finasteride for almost 5 months and it seems my front area/temples thinned yet a little more. Shedding maybe stopped or Im not sure, I probably lose +- same amount of hair in daytime and in shower like before I started with finasteride, Im not seeing any reduced amount of hairloss at the moment.
I tried to take some photos - 2 first photos before are from like 1 year ago. Do not be confused (photos before and after are not swapped) - I also had some thinning on front area/temples in that time, but these 2 photos are taken in darker environment (I shooted them probably when I was after shower with dried hair), not in a well lighted environment like the after photos, so it will probably distorts the reality or you might also think from the photos that I was not even thinning on front top area/temples, but its just simply well taken photos from right angles/lighting where thinning or balding isnt perceptible - unfortunatelly I didnt find any better before photos where the hair status was more realistic.
But from the after photos taken under the light you can see that I have thinning on front/temples where I mostly apply finasteride, where the situation is paradoxically worst and where my skin shines through more and more.
I would like to ask what do you think - should I try to add microneedling to my regimen, or should I try to add Rogaine or should I just give it some more time (like 6+ months or so) to see if there will be some regrowth of the hairs I lost in the front area?
before 1.JPG

Attachments

• before 2.JPG
    before 2.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 456
  • after 1.JPG
    after 1.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 425
  • after 2.JPG
    after 2.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 431
  • after 3.JPG
    after 3.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 426
  • after 4.JPG
    after 4.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 438
  • after 5.JPG
    after 5.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 411

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
So I have been on topical finasteride for almost 5 months and it seems my front area/temples thinned yet a little more. Shedding maybe stopped or Im not sure, I probably lose +- same amount of hair in daytime and in shower like before I started with finasteride, Im not seeing any reduced amount of hairloss at the moment.
I tried to take some photos - 2 first photos before are from like 1 year ago. Do not be confused (photos before and after are not swapped) - I also had some thinning on front area/temples in that time, but these 2 photos are taken in darker environment (I shooted them probably when I was after shower with dried hair), not in a well lighted environment like the after photos, so it will probably distorts the reality or you might also think from the photos that I was not even thinning on front top area/temples, but its just simply well taken photos from right angles/lighting where thinning or balding isnt perceptible - unfortunatelly I didnt find any better before photos where the hair status was more realistic.
But from the after photos taken under the light you can see that I have thinning on front/temples where I mostly apply finasteride, where the situation is paradoxically worst and where my skin shines through more and more.
I would like to ask what do you think - should I try to add microneedling to my regimen, or should I try to add Rogaine or should I just give it some more time (like 6+ months or so) to see if there will be some regrowth of the hairs I lost in the front area?
View attachment 155688
Honestly you might as well just buy the topical finasteride/min mix if you're already using a topical and throw needling in there. Realistically you still have enough hair that if you can maintain/get minor regrowth you should be pretty okay long term. The main argument against min other then the shedding and lack of results for some users is the additional of a daily topical. You're already doing that with finasteride though, so why not?

Also the chance that if you can get some gains and hold that one of CB/SM hits the market and can add some additional benefit/gains in the next 2-3 years.

tom305

My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly you might as well just buy the topical finasteride/min mix if you're already using a topical and throw needling in there. Realistically you still have enough hair that if you can maintain/get minor regrowth you should be pretty okay long term. The main argument against min other then the shedding and lack of results for some users is the additional of a daily topical. You're already doing that with finasteride though, so why not?

Also the chance that if you can get some gains and hold that one of CB/SM hits the market and can add some additional benefit/gains in the next 2-3 years.
Well honestly Im a little afraid to add minoxidil at the moment because it can cause another shedding. I already had one (which Im unfortunately not sure if it still continues or not) and if minoxidil could cause me the next shedding, my front area will thinned a yet more. I decided to add microneedling 0.5mm 1x a week and I will probably give topical finasteride 1 or 2 more months and also I will see what microneedling can do.
But honestly what really worries me is that Im still losing ground after almost 5 months on topical finasteride - especially at the front/temples its still thinning (see the additional photo), but I was also losing hairs even at the back of the head where Im not applying it.
Do you think that this is normal and it just needs more time or how can I say for sure that this topical finasteride is not working for me? So far the situation is unfortunately just worse than it was before...

Attachments

• after.JPG
    after.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 415

tom305

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well so it has been almost 7 months in with topical finasteride and unfortunately the situation is again rather worse than before. My temples/top of the head thinned even more than the last time I posted the photos, especially the left and right temple is starting to be really bad (its again taken under the light like before, but my phone camera isnt very good). As shown on the photos, they are still thinning backwards - probably not receding, but thinning for sure, I can see my skin under hairs shines through even more backwards. I dont know if it will be clearly seen on photos, but it really isnt the same like before, there is some progress unfortunately for the worse.

Possibly good thing is that I objectively lose on average half less hair in the shower, for like 1.5 or 2 months I wont go over 100 fallen hair like before - it was around 120-150 or sometimes more and now its around 60-90 (I almost always try to count them to have some objective certainty), but honestly Im not sure if the hair loss itself isnt still at the same rate like before, just now when I lost quite noticeably density/hair, I just logically lose less hair now when I have fewer of them than before - Im really not sure. And then, subjectively it seems to me some of the not fallen hair are maybe stronger/darker, but I probably cant say that with 100% sure, its rather just my subjective feeling.
Well, actually I can see some small hint of regrowth in right temple (some small fuzz) and some smaller in left temple, but it has been there for quite some time with no progress, its mostly only seen when flash on the camera is turned on and when I take detailed zoom of it.
I know that maybe I should give it that 1 year mark, because maybe it all just need more time, but honestly this kinda makes me worry, when the situation overall is still getting rather worse even after 6+ months...

I got some vitamin supplements (D3, D2, zinc etc.), I use collagen drink with biotin and vitamin C 1x a day, Im doing dermaroll in temples/hairline 0.5mm 1x a week and use Nizoral 1x a week, but Im really seriously thinking about adding 5% minoxidil now, since I dont see any regrowth at least of the lost old hairs - even though Im still a little afraid of the possible next shedding from minoxidil.

Or what do you guys think I should do? Try to wait a little more or add the minoxidil directly? Or do you recommend some other consecution?

Attachments

• right temple.JPG
    right temple.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 336
  • left temple.JPG
    left temple.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 341

tom305

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well its starting to look really bad, so I will probably deploy minoxidil, even though Im also afraid about the next possible minoxidil shedding, which could make situation probably even more worse. Im really not sure if this is all part of finasteride process, but when I started with it I was something between Norwood 2,5-3 max. and now Im definitely NW3+, I almost cant believe how much more the temples/frontal top of head thinned and it seems like the vertex is thinning too (where I also apply topical finasteride)... I have read alot about finasteride, but do you guys think this is normal? Or I might not be a responder to finasteride? Just for info, the topical solution with finasteride I use from pharmacy is made from this foam (vehiculum) https://fagron.com/en/product/espumiltm its often used for minoxidil but it can be used for finasteride aswell

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well so it has been almost 7 months in with topical finasteride and unfortunately the situation is again rather worse than before. My temples/top of the head thinned even more than the last time I posted the photos, especially the left and right temple is starting to be really bad (its again taken under the light like before, but my phone camera isnt very good). As shown on the photos, they are still thinning backwards - probably not receding, but thinning for sure, I can see my skin under hairs shines through even more backwards. I dont know if it will be clearly seen on photos, but it really isnt the same like before, there is some progress unfortunately for the worse.

Possibly good thing is that I objectively lose on average half less hair in the shower, for like 1.5 or 2 months I wont go over 100 fallen hair like before - it was around 120-150 or sometimes more and now its around 60-90 (I almost always try to count them to have some objective certainty), but honestly Im not sure if the hair loss itself isnt still at the same rate like before, just now when I lost quite noticeably density/hair, I just logically lose less hair now when I have fewer of them than before - Im really not sure. And then, subjectively it seems to me some of the not fallen hair are maybe stronger/darker, but I probably cant say that with 100% sure, its rather just my subjective feeling.
Well, actually I can see some small hint of regrowth in right temple (some small fuzz) and some smaller in left temple, but it has been there for quite some time with no progress, its mostly only seen when flash on the camera is turned on and when I take detailed zoom of it.
I know that maybe I should give it that 1 year mark, because maybe it all just need more time, but honestly this kinda makes me worry, when the situation overall is still getting rather worse even after 6+ months...

I got some vitamin supplements (D3, D2, zinc etc.), I use collagen drink with biotin and vitamin C 1x a day, Im doing dermaroll in temples/hairline 0.5mm 1x a week and use Nizoral 1x a week, but Im really seriously thinking about adding 5% minoxidil now, since I dont see any regrowth at least of the lost old hairs - even though Im still a little afraid of the possible next shedding from minoxidil.

Or what do you guys think I should do? Try to wait a little more or add the minoxidil directly? Or do you recommend some other consecution?
Lol bro I lose 0 hairs in shower while on topical finasteride. I make my own solution. Your compounded finasteride seems garbage.