topical dutasteride / topical finasteride

jambri

Established Member
Reaction score
Is topical avodart an option? If not, why not? I think it ought to work locally, as other treatments do, i.e. fluridil, minoxidil.

If not topical dutasteride, then what about topical finasteride? Is there such a thing and if not, why not?

Curious to hear your responses...

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've commented enough times about topical finasteride that I'm not going to repeat my opinion again right now, but if you're looking for guidance in formulation, you may find the following helpful:

Rx MINOXIDIL 2% AND FINASTERIDE 0.1% SCALP LOTION
Minoxidil 2 g
Finasteride 100 mg
Propylene glycol 20 mL
Ethanol 95% qs 100 mL

Pulverize the required number of finasteride tablets and
mix with about 75 mL of ethanol in a covered container
and let set for a couple of hours. Filter through a paper filter
to remove the excipients. Add the minoxidil and
propylene glycol to the filtrate and mix well. Add sufficient
ethanol to volume and mix well. Package and label.

Can't get more simple than that.

Source: Paddock Laboratories, "Compounding for Scalp Disorders", Secundum Artem, 12(2).

G

Whoa! I didn't think it could be done.

What about with Dutasteride gel caps? Can that be disolved in the same compounds as with Finasteride concoction?

What about w/out Minoxidil?

Where do you get these ingredients at a pure form like pure minoxidil or pure Propylene Glycol?

...And the final culminating question????????

Can you crush up Finasteride (or Dutasteride Gel Caps) tablets and add them to the over the counter Rogaine solution or Dr. Lee's Xandrox's?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
There's at least 1 guy from one of the forums who achieved great results by crushing up six 5 mg proscar tabs and adding same to a regular old bottle of minoxidil.

Never tried it myself though.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Experiments with topical finasteride have a checkered history: the results have been all over the map. Sometimes it seemed to work fine, sometimes it worked just a little bit, sometimes it didn't work at all. It may depend to a great deal on the specific vehicle that's used.

I don't think topical dutasteride has ever been tested topically. At least, I've never seen any published results.

Bryan

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here's a link to that study of topical finasteride for hirsutism, which had mostly a local effect:

http://www.aace.com/pub/ep/finasteride.php

Here is the description of their formulation:

The pharmacokinetics of finasteride was analyzed to calculate the appropriate concentration of the medication in the cream. Fifteen tablets of finasteride (5 mg each) were triturated (ground into a fine powder) and then wetted with 2 mL of propylene glycol. The mixture was incorporated into Dermabase (Paddock Laboratories, Inc.) by levigation (that is, mixed evenly by high-speed mixer and gradually incorporated). The final cream contained 0.25% finasteride. The weight of the tablets was 2.3 g. The weight of the Dermabase was 25.7 g. The 30-g mixture was put into a tube. For 6 tubes, the contents were as follows: 90 tablets (weighing 13.8 g), 12 mL of propylene glycol, and 154.2 g of Dermabase.

Dermabase cream is sold here at $13.90 for a 1 lb. tub. You can buy a bottle of propylene glycol from the same place.

G

Dave001 said:
I've commented enough times about topical finasteride that I'm not going to repeat my opinion again right now, but if you're looking for guidance in formulation, you may find the following helpful:

Rx MINOXIDIL 2% AND FINASTERIDE 0.1% SCALP LOTION
Minoxidil 2 g
Finasteride 100 mg
Propylene glycol 20 mL
Ethanol 95% qs 100 mL

Pulverize the required number of finasteride tablets and
mix with about 75 mL of ethanol in a covered container
and let set for a couple of hours. Filter through a paper filter
to remove the excipients. Add the minoxidil and
propylene glycol to the filtrate and mix well. Add sufficient
ethanol to volume and mix well. Package and label.

Can't get more simple than that.

Source: Paddock Laboratories, "Compounding for Scalp Disorders", Secundum Artem, 12(2).

When it says ethanol, can you just use everclear? Or is there a place where you can buy pure ethanol?