Topical Dutasteride Case Assessment Thread

PRIMEN

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So does it work as a standalone treatment without sides? Does it at least maintain hair? I get sexual sides from oral finasteride and full face of acne every time I try to use it, so I need at least something that works but don't mess that much with serum DHT.

44core

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would like to add liposomal dutasteride to my regime but can‘t find anything about a common formula. Just hearing about liposomal and DMSO but know nothing about the ratio and which kind of liposomes if that makes any sense. I would probably go with 0.1% and appreciate any help

hairDespair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've only done a couple of doses of the topical .05% @ 1ml and noticed some ball ache, which is odd. I did experience that years ago when first starting finasteride. Would come and go, but disappeared over the years. Surely it couldn't have that effect in such a short time if it doesn't go systemic to the extent of oral

Last edited:

hairsafelife

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am very interested in starting topical dutasteride .05% and would like to use it 1x 5-7 weeks just to test things out. I know in the past Mustang has had success using it once every 4 weeks.

What do you think is the least frequent amount of time you could have in between applications? I would like to use this as little as possible. Since the half life of dutasteride is 28 days, does this mean that even after one application topically, the bit that may have gone systemic, would remain until enough half lives had passed? I just don’t want this to build up in the body.

I’ve also read that the 28 day life is when dutasteride has reached steady state in your body which can take a bit of time. Does this mean that using it infrequently, say 1x every 5 weeks, cause it to be expelled from the body quicker than 28 days?

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am very interested in starting topical dutasteride .05% and would like to use it 1x 5-7 weeks just to test things out. I know in the past Mustang has had success using it once every 4 weeks.

What do you think is the least frequent amount of time you could have in between applications? I would like to use this as little as possible. Since the half life of dutasteride is 28 days, does this mean that even after one application topically, the bit that may have gone systemic, would remain until enough half lives had passed? I just don’t want this to build up in the body.

I’ve also read that the 28 day life is when dutasteride has reached steady state in your body which can take a bit of time. Does this mean that using it infrequently, say 1x every 5 weeks, cause it to be expelled from the body quicker than 28 days?
I have been using oral duta 0.5mg day and topically once weekly for 7 months from a pharmacy in the US, hair got flatter less volume and thickness, no change at front no thickening of weak thin hairs, then I took 2.5mg to 2mg of oral duta instead and used topically x3 times weekly 7 months later hair is EVEN thinner and flatter at the crown area, so depressing, my itch went away and shedding went down a shitttt load but still balding. I think it could be scalp T or I got some other type of balding other than just male pattern baldness. oral dutasteride just at 0.5mg day increases scalp testosterone by 100% and 2.5mg increases it by 150% or 200%, if you also use dutasteride topically you will block even more scalp DHT so then you will end up with 200% increased scalp T or more. T can be bad for hair too, there needs to be a balance between T and DHT, nuking all serum dht and scalp DHT hasnt done sh*t for me due to the huge spike in scalp T. im quitting topical now and only using the recommended 0.5mg oral duta everyday, otherwise my scalp T goes insanely high. and yes T can also be bad for hair trust me. the only side effect I have from dutasteride is my sperm oozes out dribbles out from my penis it no longer shoot out with force.

Last edited:

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi...I approached fueclinic.com and they seemed willing to ship topical dutasteride to the UK. I didn't go for it in the end so don't know if there are any Brexit/shipping issues but could be worth a try
I recommend that u do not add topical duta if you are already using it orally, studies say oral duta outperformed topical duta and mesotherapy, at least what moreplatesmoredates the youtuber said. you will end up spiking scalp T insanely high if you do which is bad.

hairDespair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wonder how much a topical adds to the scalp test spike if you're already using finasteride or dutasteride. From some study I found online regarding oral. Not sure if posted around here

"Scalp testosterone
levels significantly increased in all active treatment groups compared with placebo, increasing by 23%,
39%, 99%, and 222% with 0.05-, 0.1-, 0.5 and 2.5-mg
dutasteride, respectively, and 23% with finasteride."

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
well im giving up my fight with hairloss, in a year it has gotten so damn thin I dont even wanna try to save it, I have a weird type of hairloss even before using the medication, very slow growing hair and I mean VERY slow growing, it stays short and wont join in with the other longer hairs ever, the weird thing is that all the hair strands in the places where my hair is thinning out are very thick and healthy looking I have cut and pulled it to check, so they arent even miniturized yet im losing ground fast. I must honestly have some autoimmune disorder or some type of rare alopecia form not just male pattern baldness, my hairline is receeded thats how I know its also androgenetic.

44core

My Regimen
Reaction score
I recommend that u do not add topical duta if you are already using it orally, studies say oral duta outperformed topical duta and mesotherapy, at least what moreplatesmoredates the youtuber said. you will end up spiking scalp T insanely high if you do which is bad.
Do you know if there were any studys showing the scalp DHT different between oral and topical dutasteride? I can‘t imagine the topical inhibits up to 90% while oral just 60-70%

Last edited:

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you know if there were any studys showing the scalp DHT different between oral and topical dutasteride? I can‘t imagine oral inhibits up to 90% while oral just 60-70%
well if u look at the finasteride studies of topical finasteride, topical finasteride blocked more scalp DHT than oral...something like 50% was blocked topically and orally 40%, some studies probably show higher numbers for topical finasteride. so in the end topical DOES block more scalp DHT than oral which makes sense because you apply it directly to the scalp while oral it spreads throughout your system and finally reaches the scalp. but finasteride penetrates better into the scalp due to the small mouculer mass, while dutasteride has a much harder time to penetrate into the skin without needling because its over 500 daltons, but I have read people say that they have experienced side effects from topical dutasteride and some of them werent even dermarolling or stamping so it can infact go deep enough into the skin and even reach the blood without needling but it depends on the formula. im actually quitting oral dutasteride and gonna apply it topically only instead because oral hasnt really helped. also I cant shoot out my sperm anymore due to oral dutasteride.

Last edited:

44core

My Regimen
Reaction score
well if u look at the finasteride studies of topical finasteride, topical finasteride blocked more scalp DHT than oral...something like 50% was blocked topically and orally 40%, some studies probably show higher numbers for topical finasteride. so in the end topical DOES block more scalp DHT than oral which makes sense because you apply it directly to the scalp while oral it spreads throughout your system and finally reaches the scalp. but finasteride penetrates better into the scalp due to the small mouculer mass, while dutasteride has a much harder time to penetrate into the skin without needling because its over 500 daltons, but I have read people say that they have experienced side effects from topical dutasteride and some of them werent even dermarolling or stamping so it can infact go deep enough into the skin and even reach the blood without needling but it depends on the formula. im actually quitting oral dutasteride and gonna apply it topically only instead because oral hasnt really helped. also I cant shoot out my sperm anymore due to oral dutasteride.
well my broscience is saying less scalp DHT inhibition -> less results. But I always believed oral finasteride is more effective than topical (until it's liposomal maybe). It's irritating and hard to find info about the real value of scalp DHT. Every topical should be more effective in theory then but it just don't seem so.

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
well my broscience is saying less scalp DHT inhibition -> less results. But I always believed oral finasteride is more effective than topical (until it's liposomal maybe). It's irritating and hard to find info about the real value of scalp DHT. Every topical should be more effective in theory then but it just don't seem so.

Ye true it doesnt seem so, I have read many reddit posts about topical dutasteride and finasteride, many with mixed outcomes, but have honestly found MAYBE one with results from topical dutasteride on reddit so far, not counting mustangs spamming on every hairloss forum and reddit hes up to something, but as it stands right now, oral seems to be the winner here from what I have been reading. Topical isnt better. Studies say topical and oral finasteride are similar in effectivness, but the reality is that topical finasteride goes systemic due to its small moluculer weight and many say they get side effects just as on oral after some time on topical it just creeps up more slowly. Tbh im gonna keep up with 0.5mg oral dutasteride daily, and gonna use it topically once weekly thats it for me. If my hair continues to thin then so be it, im hoping 12mg of oral minoxidill will help me out along the way as im very early into treatment. tbh I see more people with results from topical finasteride than with topical dutasteride, I think the very reason could be because topical finasteride penetrates much better than dutasteride and the finasteride also ends up going systemic, not only that but most people are using topical finasteride than dutasteride, so it also makes sense that I see people with more results with topical finasteride.

Last edited:

44core

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ye true it doesnt seem so, I have read many reddit posts about topical dutasteride and finasteride, many with mixed outcomes, but have honestly found MAYBE one with results from topical dutasteride on reddit so far, not counting mustangs spamming on every hairloss forum and reddit hes up to something, but as it stands right now, oral seems to be the winner here from what I have been reading. Topical isnt better. Studies say topical and oral finasteride are similar in effectivness, but the reality is that topical finasteride goes systemic due to its small moluculer weight and many say they get side effects just as on oral after some time on topical it just creeps up more slowly. Tbh im gonna keep up with 0.5mg oral dutasteride daily, and gonna use it topically once weekly thats it for me. If my hair continues to thin then so be it, im hoping 12mg of oral minoxidill will help me out along the way as im very early into treatment. tbh I see more people with results from topical finasteride than with topical dutasteride, I think the very reason could be because topical finasteride penetrates much better than dutasteride and the finasteride also ends up going systemic, not only that but most people are using topical finasteride than dutasteride, so it also makes sense that I see people with more results with topical finasteride.
which topical dutasteride are you using? and couldn't it be possible your T spikes are too high with that heavy dutasteride regime if you're still thinning?

I'm deciding between adding 0.5mg dutasteride per week / topical dutasteride / RU but it's hard lol

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
which topical dutasteride are you using? and couldn't it be possible your T spikes are too high with that heavy dutasteride regime if you're still thinning?

I'm deciding between adding 0.5mg dutasteride per week / topical dutasteride / RU but it's hard lol
for the first 7 months I was using murray avenues apothecary topical dutasteride once weekly and used it orally 0.5mg day hair got thinner, but its weird how it could spike T so much that I would go bald from it, my T isnt naturally high to begin with its actually on the lower side. DHT is worse for hair than T, my scalp itch on front and hairline even vanished while on a heavy dutasteride regiment and my shedding in shower eventually went down to 3-4 hairs from 35-50. so doubt scalp T is nuking my hair. I probably have another cause for my thinning hair than simply DHT/T, it could be many reasons. for one my hair has been growing super slow for years despite having THICK hair strands it just wont grow long in certain places anymore.

hairDespair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok, this stuff is definitely not for me. I took dutasteride for several weeks a while ago and noticed some chest tenderness and quit. Now after only a few weeks of this .05 topical(murray apothecary), same thing and now the top of the nipple on 1 side is really red and inflamed looking(also looks like some discharge because my shirt has a stain there). Years of finasteride has given me some mild gyno, but never anything like that. Coincidentally, the gyno is mostly on the same side as this irritated spot. So much for not going as systemic. Crazy that I had an even stronger reaction doing a few once a week applications compared to once a week oral for a bit longer than that. F that, never touching again

Last edited:

Baldingtooyoung

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
for the first 7 months I was using murray avenues apothecary topical dutasteride once weekly and used it orally 0.5mg day hair got thinner, but its weird how it could spike T so much that I would go bald from it, my T isnt naturally high to begin with its actually on the lower side. DHT is worse for hair than T, my scalp itch on front and hairline even vanished while on a heavy dutasteride regiment and my shedding in shower eventually went down to 3-4 hairs from 35-50. so doubt scalp T is nuking my hair. I probably have another cause for my thinning hair than simply DHT/T, it could be many reasons. for one my hair has been growing super slow for years despite having THICK hair strands it just wont grow long in certain places anymore.
But did your hai thicken up?
I am 8 months on dutasteride and my hair is thinner, i am below baseline and my regrowth is SUPER thin. On finas my hairgrowth was thicker...
Thinking about switching back

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
But did your hai thicken up?
I am 8 months on dutasteride and my hair is thinner, i am below baseline and my regrowth is SUPER thin. On finas my hairgrowth was thicker...
Thinking about switching back
Im not too bad. Bit thinner but without dutasteride i would have very thin hair today. My hairline looks the same and front 1,2 years later. One guy messaged me and said he thinned out for 2 years on dutasteride but then hair got thick...i cant even tolerate fina so cant even use it but dutasteride has shown in trials to grow more hair than fina so dont make any sense what you say.

Last edited:

Baldingtooyoung

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im not too bad. Bit thinner but without dutasteride i would have very thin hair today. My hairline looks the same and front 1,2 years later. One guy messaged me and said he thinned out for 2 years on dutasteride but then hair got thick...i cant even tolerate fina so cant even use it but dutasteride has shown in trials to grow more hair than fina so dont make any sense what you say.
Thing is. For me Finasteride was great and dutasteride thinned me out like crazy. I stopped shedding hundreds of hairs but it seems i am shedding 200/300+ hairs again a day

Mustang

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok, this stuff is definitely not for me. I took dutasteride for several weeks a while ago and noticed some chest tenderness and quit. Now after only a few weeks of this .05 topical(murray apothecary), same thing and now the top of the nipple on 1 side is really red and inflamed looking(also looks like some discharge because my shirt has a stain there). Years of finasteride has given me some mild gyno, but never anything like that. Coincidentally, the gyno is mostly on the same side as this irritated spot. So much for not going as systemic. Crazy that I had an even stronger reaction doing a few once a week applications compared to once a week oral for a bit longer than that. F that, never touching again

Have you tried CB0301 ?
It's proven very effective at just 2.5% on the hairline for some
Dutasteride always works best on vertex and crown