Topical dutas once a day WORKS!

powersam

Reaction score
the truth is i'm actually starting to find him somewhat amusing.

urban

Reaction score
twohair said:
Bryan, I'm not saying this is the best tratment for you...only this is the best for me. Finasteride can not inibith the type 1 ar, while dutas is very effectively in doing it. Most of the dht in the scalp can be attributed to type 1 5ar. Anyway, you are right, dutasteride comes in a capsule, dissolved in an oil base. Make the compress with Aloe to use briefly (few minutes) under the shower and you'll see.

Bryan has a tendency to correct others. I admit he knows his stuff but he
comes across confrontational that will rub others the wrong way. I guess he loves to make people feel inferior!!

Wobbler

Reaction score
twohair said:
Bryan, I'm not saying this is the best tratment for you...only this is the best for me. Finasteride can not inibith the type 1 ar, while dutas is very effectively in doing it. Most of the dht in the scalp can be attributed to type 1 5ar. Anyway, you are right, dutasteride comes in a capsule, dissolved in an oil base. Make the compress with Aloe to use briefly (few minutes) under the shower and you'll see.

Could you maybe tell us which type of dutasteride you use (brand or generic) and which type of aloe vera?

Thanks!

Verno

Reaction score
I think that topical dutasteride might be effective, but NOT if its in an aloe vera base. dutasteride is very soluble in ethanol and PEG, but not water, and I believe that aloe is water soluble. The point is, putting dutasteride into a water base is going to have very poor absorption. Put it in ethanol and polyethylene glycol if you actually want it to do something.

Wobbler

Reaction score
Verno said:
I think that topical dutasteride might be effective, but NOT if its in an aloe vera base. dutasteride is very soluble in ethanol and PEG, but not water, and I believe that aloe is water soluble. The point is, putting dutasteride into a water base is going to have very poor absorption. Put it in ethanol and polyethylene glycol if you actually want it to do something.

The thing is, maybe you don't want it to absorb completely to prevent adverse effects due to systemic absorption. Duta apparently is already quite capable of penetrating the skin on it's own, so maybe you want it to absorb just enough to do it's work in your scalp.

Of course, scientific basis for this is completely nonexistant :)

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. In fact seeing as taking 0.5mg per day only gets rid of 40% (correct me if I'm wrong) scalp DHT, this could be the solution. Dunno if I can be bothered with the expense, etc. spironolactone and minoxidil are already enough of a pain in the arse to apply to be entirely honest.

Verno

Reaction score
Wobbler said:
The thing is, maybe you don't want it to absorb completely to prevent adverse effects due to systemic absorption. Duta apparently is already quite capable of penetrating the skin on it's own, so maybe you want it to absorb just enough to do it's work in your scalp.

Of course, scientific basis for this is completely nonexistant :)

Good point. I guess if you want to completely avoid systemic absorption, thats probably true. However, my opinion is probabaly biased because I've been using dutasteride orally for about 2 years, so I personally wouldnt care about a little systemic abs if I were using the topical.

Wobbler

Reaction score
I received my Aloe Vera and Avodart today. I ordered the avodart from qhi.co.uk. The pills look a bit weird though. Are they supposed to be yellowish non-transparent gel capsules with rather strong outer shells?

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

I thought finasteride and dutasteride worked because they stopeed the conversion to DHT therefor no (or perhaps less) DHT could reach the follicles. I found no information indicating the finasteride or dutasteride can directly interact with hair follicles, meaning the drug's effect on hair follicles are second hand as a result of DHT reduction. Therefore, how can a topical solution do anything other then the potential absorption benefits which will in turn reduce DHT throughout the body and thus improve hair quality.
I know Merck considered a topical but i belive they concluded that the effectiveness and convienence was better in a pill form.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: re:

Johnny24601 said:
I thought finasteride and dutasteride worked because they stopeed the conversion to DHT therefor no (or perhaps less) DHT could reach the follicles. I found no information indicating the finasteride or dutasteride can directly interact with hair follicles, meaning the drug's effect on hair follicles are second hand as a result of DHT reduction. Therefore, how can a topical solution do anything other then the potential absorption benefits which will in turn reduce DHT throughout the body and thus improve hair quality.

Well, the HOPE is that when those drugs are applied topically to the scalp, they will only inhibit the 5a-reductase within the hair follicles, thus sparing any side-effects from using it systemically; unfortunately, though, there's precious little evidence that they have much of a "local" effect when applied topically, and there's a very serious risk of systemic absorption.

Bryan

momo

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys, stop speculating, just give it a try. The systemic side effects can't be worse than those you'd get by taking the stuff orally, which many of you do anyway. It's not such a long shot. People spend so much money on such less proven treatments, so instead of talking over and over about it, just give it a shot.

Tombolino

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
twohair said:
Bryan, I'm not saying this is the best tratment for you...only this is the best for me.

I really don't think you can tell that for sure, after only a month. Besides, even if it really is working for you after all, it _may_ be doing so only because it's being absorbed systemically. That was the main point I was trying to make.

twohair said:
Finasteride can not inibith the type 1 ar, while dutas is very effectively in doing it.

I don't know if I'd say that it's VERY effective at that. At the standard dose of 1 Avodart capsule per day, it inhibits about half of the type 1 enzyme (or maybe a bit more).

twohair said:
Most of the dht in the scalp can be attributed to type 1 5ar.

Yes, but we don't CARE about most of the DHT in the scalp, which comes from sebaceous glands. What we care about is the DHT that's generated INSIDE THE HAIR FOLLICLE. That seems to come almost exclusively from the type 2 enzyme.

Wait........ is the smoking gun DHT in type 2 or 1? Bryan, you are saying 2 and above someone else is saying 1?

Bryan

hailbrotzu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow this is an old thread. Curious if anyone from here is still using this and if it has continued working?