Topical 17a-estradiol (e.g. Ell Cranell Alpha)

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've recently given topical 17α-estradiol another look. Having just finished reviewing the literature for data relevant to its its safety and efficacy (the former being the primary concern, since most things are in the experimental stage), it appears a worthy candidate. It's a chemical that, while probably not terribly effective on it's own, might make a good addition to a good topical antiandrogen such as spironolactone or RU58841. I wouldn't use it as a standalone agent.

The question is of course: is it cost-effective? Millions of drugs work against Androgenetic Alopecia to some extent. The difficulty is in narrowing down the list to those most worth of one's time and expense. It will need to be relatively inexpensive for it to be worthy of attention. Please post source information and prices if you have them.

BTW, please do *not* use this thread to share your perceived personal experience with 17α-estradiol, or anecdotes about its efficacy. Please create a separate thread if you must do that. I want to use this thread solely to assess its monetary cost. Thank you.

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
Dave: I need a little education on this one. Is this chemical what they also call Diane 35?

Here's a site you might have already seen, no rx but appears a little expensive? Your answers will guide me into better searching.

http://www.1stop-pharmacy.com/prices.asp?drug=Estradiol

Take a look at this thread on another site that you're familiar with for more information: 17alpha-estradiol

My initial post to this thread was duplicated from that thread. I wanted to solicit opinions from both sites.

It's important to note that 17alpha-estradiol is VERY different from 17beta-estradiol, the latter of which I would NEVER consider putting on my scalp because of toxicity concerns. 17beta-estradiol is what is implicitly meant when people say "estradiol." Indeed, the name alone is what prevented me from giving any consideration to 17α-estradiol until now.

17α-estradiol does not have significant activity at estrogen receptors. In Europe it is used topically to treat Androgenetic Alopecia in males as well as females. It was also tried with mild to moderate success (depending on how you define "success") in a double-blind study of over 50 men and women.

Hoffmann, R., S. Niiyama, et al. (2002). "17alpha-estradiol induces aromatase activity in intact human anagen hair follicles ex vivo." Experimental Dermatology 11(4): 376-380.

"In Europe, topically applied estrogens such as 17α-estradiol are used to treat androgenetic alopecia. The female hormone 17β-estradiol can only be used with women, whereas the hormonally almost inactive isomer 17α-estradiol is used in men as well. Although some clinical studies show considerable success with such an approach, the underlying pathways of 17α-estradiol-induced hair regrowth are unknown. Apparently this is not a receptor mediated hormone effect, as 17β-estradiol is a hormone and 17α-estradiol is not, and because 17α-estradiol cannot bind to estrogen receptors (17). Recently, it has been shown that hair follicles from women with Androgenetic Alopecia express more aromatase activity as compared with male-derived hair follicles (15), and interestingly those women taking aromatase inhibitors tend to develop Androgenetic Alopecia rather rapidly (18). These circumstantial lines of evidence indicate a role of aromatase in the pathogenesis of Androgenetic Alopecia. [emphasis mine]"