Too much sebum

dusty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I am currently on dutasteride ED, finasteride EOD, Kirkland minoxidil at night, and 2% keto 3 times a week. My biggest problem is that my hair gets greasy as the day goes on and in the evening there is enough grease that my hair looks a lot thinner than directly after taking a shower. Also even on keto 2% 3 times a week I still have issues with dandruff.
I was wondering if I should just use keto more often or if there was another remedy for oily scalp that you guys would recommend.

Shipahoy

Reaction score
I had the same problem, but after starting dutasteride it somehow decreased in couple months.
My hair got greasy in couple hours before and had these sebum balls all over.

What worked for me: dutasteride 0,5mg ED and started washing hair twice a day with mild shampoo and nizoral 3-5 times a week. Nowdays i can be a day without showering.
I also started to working out and running (sweating is good i think, because it opens ur pores) and eating healthily and drinking alots of water.

Hope it helps

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
From the results I've gotten, Dutasteride should take care of that excessive oil and sebum production. My scalp would get ridiculously oily throughout the day after showering in the morning, it would be like as if a lot was rubbed on my head. Now my scalp stays nice dry throughout the day thanks to taking 0.5 mg of Dutasteride daily. I would also have the debilitating intensive Androgenetic Alopecia itch constantly and went away I'd say 97-98 percent since getting on the 5-AR inhibitor, and I shed very little hair now while before the treatment massive amounts were falling out. Getting on Dutasteride has been one of the biggest relieves in my life.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Greetings Dusty,

Just curious how long at minimum are you leaving nizoral on before rinse? In the past I found improved results with my seb. derm. if I allowed nizoral sit for 10 minutes before a thorough rinsing. Also you should try to rotate your shampoos/conditioners at least bi-monthly if you have not already. Medicated (including OTC brands) can lose their efficacy over time or regular use. Just some ideas that may or may not help. GoodLuck.
So I am currently on dutasteride ED, finasteride EOD, Kirkland minoxidil at night, and 2% keto 3 times a week. My biggest problem is that my hair gets greasy as the day goes on and in the evening there is enough grease that my hair looks a lot thinner than directly after taking a shower. Also even on keto 2% 3 times a week I still have issues with dandruff.
I was wondering if I should just use keto more often or if there was another remedy for oily scalp that you guys would recommend.

dusty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Greetings Dusty,

Just curious how long at minimum are you leaving nizoral on before rinse? In the past I found improved results with my seb. derm. if I allowed nizoral sit for 10 minutes before a thorough rinsing. Also you should try to rotate your shampoos/conditioners at least bi-monthly if you have not already. Medicated (including OTC brands) can lose their efficacy over time or regular use. Just some ideas that may or may not help. GoodLuck.

I usually leave it in for a few minutes and I probably should leave it in longer like you have suggested . I just started using keto 2% so I don't think it is due to losing efficacy over time. I probably should change my shampoo because I have been using the same stuff for years.

- - - Updated - - -

From the results I've gotten, Dutasteride should take care of that excessive oil and sebum production. My scalp would get ridiculously oily throughout the day after showering in the morning, it would be like as if a lot was rubbed on my head. Now my scalp stays nice dry throughout the day thanks to taking 0.5 mg of Dutasteride daily. I would also have the debilitating intensive Androgenetic Alopecia itch constantly and went away I'd say 97-98 percent since getting on the 5-AR inhibitor, and I shed very little hair now while before the treatment massive amounts were falling out. Getting on Dutasteride has been one of the biggest relieves in my life.

How long did it take for you to see a reduction in sebum after starting dutasteride?

dark&bald

Established Member
Reaction score

if you have a buzz cut, you can wet your hair a few times a day just as you would splash your face with water in the bathroom. You can also carry comb and make quick passes through your hair to collect the extra sebum. I do that all the time and it keeps my hair looking like it was just washed instead of limp and sticking to my scalp.

Just to clarify, with your hair wet, use the comb to collect the sebum.

jjarna

Reaction score

I have the same issue and nothing is working for me no idea what to do anymore