Too much of a good thing? Leave in conditioner

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Am I applying too much leave in conditioner to my hair?

I spray very liberally each night after I shower and I brush it through with a wide tooth comb. Now, I know I have a tendency to by the type of person that feels like more is always better.... directions say 1 tide pod, I put 3. Recipe says 1 cup of sugar, I put 4 so I know I drench my hair with leave in conditioner.

I also use it each morning albeit not as generously because I actually use it as a styling aid so if I use too much it won’t work correctly for what I need.

I started thinking am I using it too much to where it’s having an adverse effect on the hair AND am I using it too much that it diminishes the bond being there are oils in the conditioner.

How much conditioner and how often should I be using to create an adequate balance?

Noah

Reaction score
I can only speak for myself. I mainly use leave-in conditioner to get the sunscreen (I use one which has sunscreen added), so I only use it in the morning. Usually a fairly light misting, since basically the purpose is to protect the hair on the top of the unit from getting sun-bleached. For the task of keeping the unit hydrated and glossy I use argan oil, and that is what I would use after a shower. I like it, because it doesn't seem to weigh the hair down.

Are you shampooing your piece every night?

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I was also going to ask JMC if he's shampooing daily. That would be the first thing to stop!

I use leave-in conditioner daily too, probably a medium amount, because it's the only styling aid I use and it gives the hair a decent shine and hold. The shine makes the hair look more realistic by far. I've put up pics previously on this forum, so you can see what I mean from those.

I doubt that the conditioner weakens the bond.

What I find is that a few days of conditioner will eventually make the hair feel greasy and heavy, so it's then necessary to wash it out. BUT even then, I rarely use shampoo: instead, I just let water run through the hair for a few minutes. I use shampoo maybe once a month (on the system only I mean).

Sometimes, less is more, so maybe try out different amounts/techniques and find what works for you.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I only shampoo maybe twice a month, each time I take the piece off.

The unit I am wearing now is very high density so I have to use conditioner to get the knots out after a shower and in the morning.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I have been purchasing a lot of different adhesives to try lately since I have an oily scalp. I purchased Vapon No Tape and was reading the instructions and it specifically states: “Avoid the use of conditioners and cream rinses on hair; these products contain oils that willl decrease the life of the adhesive.”

This furthers my theory that too much leave in conditioner has an adverse affect on the bond. We all can agree that oils from our scalps greatly diminish the bond correct? If this is so then how would the oils in conditioner not do the same?

This also makes me think that spray on conditioners are NOT the way to go with a hairpiece because those tend to run through the lace and on to the scalp and adhesive. I think the creams would be better for hairpiece as you have more control of where it goes and they tend to be thicker and can sit more on the hair then go through the lace.

Last edited:

Fanjeera

Reaction score
So I have been purchasing a lot of different adhesives to try lately since I have an oily scalp. I purchased Vapon No Tape and was reading the instructions and it specifically states: “Avoid the use of conditioners and cream rinses on hair; these products contain oils that willl decrease the life of the adhesive.”

This furthers my theory that too much leave in conditioner has an adverse affect on the bond. We all can agree that oils from our scalps greatly diminish the bond correct? If this is so then how would the oils in conditioner not do the same?

This also makes me think that spray on conditioners are NOT the way to go with a hairpiece because those tend to run through the lace and on to the scalp and adhesive. I think the creams would be better for hairpiece as you have more control of where it goes and they tend to be thicker and can sit more on the hair then go through the lace.
By creams you mean regular conditioners that have to be washed out?

How would you make the hair more oily and protect from sun damage then, if you don't use leave-in conditioners? Can't see a way around leaeve-in conditioners, although, I'd love to stop using them, if possible.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No I mean the leave in conditioners that you don’t actually spray. The ones that are more in a cream format. I feel like those you could run through your hair and avoid the scalp whereas you don’t have that type of control with a spray.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
No I mean the leave in conditioners that you don’t actually spray. The ones that are more in a cream format. I feel like those you could run through your hair and avoid the scalp whereas you don’t have that type of control with a spray.
Does Hairdirect sell them? Thanks!

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I’m not really sure. If I’m not mistaken, Noah posted up the one he uses and I thought I remember it being a cream. Here is one I have that I have used and I like.

L'Oreal Paris Elvive Total Repair 5 Protein Recharge Leave In Conditioner Treatment, and Heat Protectant, 5.1 Ounce (Packaging May Vary) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0751LB83D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_lEo2FbG8ZXBMP
I understand Noah uses spray.

This loreal one doesn't seem to have UV protection which is a must for hair system. Every norma leave-in conditioner has it.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is the one Noah posted that he uses. It doesn’t seem to be a spray to me.
5056E6BE-CDB2-4FDE-B0AC-63B3527D05F2.png

Noah

Reaction score
You're both right. I have used spray in the past. This one is cream, so I put a little in my hand and dilute it with a little argan oil, and then apply it.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have also now tried 3 different glue adhesives. Two of them are clear bonds and one white. I get no more than 2 days out of them no matter what. The latest clear bond I used I could just scrap off completely with my finger nail because it was so oily.

Now I know I have an oily scalp so I’m sure that contributes and on top of that I use leave in conditioner.

Since I must use leave in conditioner then I need to focus on how to reduce scalp oiliness.

Anyone have any guidance on this? I may be forced to use a shampoo that can do this at the expense of my units not lasting as long.

JMC

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Which I could try different scalp protectors. I’ve got one, but haven’t used it consistently enough to give an accurate assessment to its effectiveness.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
You're both right. I have used spray in the past. This one is cream, so I put a little in my hand and dilute it with a little argan oil, and then apply it.
Is it more difficult than spraying? Do you get all the hair covered?

What could maybe be done: spray the leave-in conditioner on your brush and then brush.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are UTS units affected by oils & other lubricants the way lace ones are (loosened knots)?

Or is the only way to remove hair from UTS to break it off?

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are UTS units affected by oils & other lubricants the way lace ones are (loosened knots)?

Or is the only way to remove hair from UTS to break it off?
I haven't seen any impact on my UTS with regards to products causing hair to loosen and fall out. The v-loops aren't so easily extracted.

However, over time as the unit ages, hairs will break and hence shed - but the v-loop "root" will remain in the UTS and this can look unsightly as well as exposing too much UTS. This is the reason many UTS users snip away at the skin on the hairline as the unit ages.

Sometimes the v-loop can loosen a bit and the whole v-looped hair will pull out. This is rare though and again it happens when the system is a few months old and the consistency/size of the base has changed over that time.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I haven't seen any impact on my UTS with regards to products causing hair to loosen and fall out. The v-loops aren't so easily extracted.

However, over time as the unit ages, hairs will break and hence shed - but the v-loop "root" will remain in the UTS and this can look unsightly as well as exposing too much UTS. This is the reason many UTS users snip away at the skin on the hairline as the unit ages.

Sometimes the v-loop can loosen a bit and the whole v-looped hair will pull out. This is rare though and again it happens when the system is a few months old and the consistency/size of the base has changed over that time.
Ya, I remember having a poly perimeter on 2 pieces & tweezing at the hairline, noticing those disgusting roots...

I have to try UTS...