Tomas's weight gaining journal

tomas99

Established Member
Reaction score
Jayman motivated me about this and I do not want to disturb his own thread. My goal is exactly the opposite, to gain weight.

I am 6'2" and my weight is 130lbs. The aim is 150 at least, actually 155-160 could serve good for me as I am lean naturally. Scale was not supposed to measure my body fat but dietician think it could be about 2%. This summer was colder for me than ever:)

Facts: super fast metabolism, I always had this. I have lost some weight in last months, my usual was 134 for years. It seems I can not eat more than 2x 200mg meat per day as my kidney does not like it too much.

DIET

Moning: 400 mg Yogurt with probiotics, whole grain bread sporadically
Lunch: Soup, some pastries with meat or some meat like chicken steak with potatoes, fish with rice etc. During lunch I always eat in restaurants.
Afternoon: the same as in the morning
Dinner: regular food which is in the same quantity and composition like lunch.
Evening: Very often the same as for breakfast, so some yogurt or cheese with whole grain bread.

I have improved my diet in last month which resulted in gaining about 2 pounds.

I eat often fishes, legumes, eggs, chicken, pasta, rice and dairy.During day some fruits and veggies every day. I am eating about 10-20g of soy protein each day. Drining about 3 litres of water/green tea.

Sleep is little bit problematic, 6.5 hours per day on average which is not helpful for gaining weight. Can not avoid cardio as I am playing tennis 2x times per week.

Right now, I am only doing press-ups, not going to gym. I am doing 2 series of 15 ( :) ) press-ups three times per day and I am raising this number. No other excercise. No calories counting. In fact I do not make any weight lifting as I think I need to gain some material to work with.

What would you suggest to implement into diet? I need to gain some muscles at shoulders, arms, back and chest. Are press-ups enough for this when done in high amounts?

tomas99

Established Member
Reaction score
Exactly, my face is thin too, from high school where I did not eat too much so maybe my metabolism speed-up and it stayed like that in recent time.

s.a.f

Reaction score
eat more than 3 times a day. 4 or 5 meals.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
tomas99 said:
DIET

Moning: 400 mg Yogurt with probiotics, whole grain bread sporadically
Lunch: Soup, some pastries with meat or some meat like chicken steak with potatoes, fish with rice etc. During lunch I always eat in restaurants.
Afternoon: the same as in the morning
Dinner: regular food which is in the same quantity and composition like lunch.
Evening: Very often the same as for breakfast, so some yogurt or cheese with whole grain bread.

I have improved my diet in last month which resulted in gaining about 2 pounds.

Are press-ups enough for this when done in high amounts?

How many calories per day would you guess you consume? Did your dietician give you your maintenance caloric intake guideline per day? IE how many calories per day do you need to maintain your weight?

2lbs per month is nothing. At your height and weight, it should be easy for you to gain 1lb per week minimum. At 2% body fat, I wouldn't care if I gained even 10% more bodyfat.

400mg yogurt? Unless I'm not very up on the metric system (possible since I'm a typical American), 400mg = 0.4g. My yogurt container says there are 227 grams of yogurt in 8oz. 0.4g = less than 1/4 spoon full of yogurt. 1/4 spoon of yogurt and 1 piece of bread is maybe 80 calories. You almost burn that just by sitting there for an hour.

Unless I'm not understanding the metric measurements you used, you're probably barely eating above your basal metabolic rate per day. This is a diet your dietician put you on?

And no, you can not get huge just doing pushups. Get a membership to the gym and squat, deadlift, bench, row and military press.

I hate f*****g dieticians. They usually don't know anything except how to wh*** out their brand of supplements.

My advice:

Fire your dietician - expensive and not worth it IMO
Get a gym membership and start lifting
Eat 0.8g - 1g protein per lb of bodyweight per day
I'm assuming your basal caloric intake = ~1700 calories per day (taken from http://home.fuse.net/clymer/bmi/). Eat 2200 calories per day. If you don't gain 1lb in 1 week, increase your calories by another 500 and so on.

Yes, it sucks to count calories, but to begin with, you should do just that. Since you're severely underweight, you obviously don't eat a lot...So by keeping track of your eating habits, it will allow you to see just how little you really eat and change accordingly.

Since you don't like a lot of meat, it's perfectly reasonable to get your protein intake mostly from dairy or whey protein. I know a few bodybuilders that don't eat meat and rely solely on legumes, dairy and whey protein for their protein intake.

tomas99

Established Member
Reaction score
Harie

Thanks! About yogurt - I was mistaken, of course my yogurt is 200g (not mg), which means I eat about 400 - 1000 g of yogurt per day, not small amount:) One yogurt has 93 calories, so i consume about 279 - 465 calories per day only from yogurt which I have for breakfast and as a snack.

Yogurts are on average 300 calories daily.
Lunch: 184 calories from meat, 565 from pasta
Dinner: 358 calories from 200g tuna, 600 from rice
320 calories from 50g of nuts
200 calories from fruits and vegies (about)

+ I eat about 20 pure protein.

So to me it is 2500 calories per day, is it possible from this food?

Dietician - I dont like her too much too, but her husband is Doctor and he helped me a lot with some infections I had. She is right I really need to gain some weight, even from health reason, but she also offers great supplements from one firm and I am well aware how works in this business :)

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thomas,

If I had a recommendation, I'd say buy oatmeal and learn to love it. If you eat 8oz of oats per day, that adds quite a bit of low GI carbs.

Also, how much water are you drinking per day?

You said you play tennis 2x/week, do you do other activities that burn a lot of calories besides tennis?

When you only gained 2lb in a month, did your dietician up your caloric intake?

tomas99

Established Member
Reaction score
I drink about 80-100 OZ. of water/tea per day....

She said it is OK for me to gain 2 lbs per month as I also play tennis (if weather is OK and I have time, I have been playing it even every day) so there is lot of cardio.

I have been running serveral times per week, but currently I am not doing this.

She did not up my caloric intake, in fact we did not count calories /she only told me how much I should receive).

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
2lb gain per month is very low. With weight training, it's very normal for a beginner to gain 25 - 30lbs in 6 months, when combined with eating big.

Definitely don't run, especially if you play tennis multiple times per week. No wonder you're 130lbs.

CCS

Reaction score
Harie said:
2lb gain per month is very low. With weight training, it's very normal for a beginner to gain 25 - 30lbs in 6 months, when combined with eating big.

Definitely don't run, especially if you play tennis multiple times per week. No wonder you're 130lbs.

Huh??? I never gained that much weight ever. My strength more than doubled when I began lifting, but my size and weight stayed the same. Been the same for years. I my have put on 10-15 pounds some time after graduating from high school, but I don't think it was all muscle. My arms maybe increase 1/2 inch. Been lifting on and off for years and been consistent at 150 pounds.

And I am perfectly capable of eating more. Lots more. It just goes on my belly. I think the key is in the squat and the HGH/testosterone boost it brings. Can't do those. My knees hurt too much.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Anyone put any stock in body mass index calculations/classifications?

CCS

Reaction score
hairwegoagain said:
Anyone put any stock in body mass index calculations/classifications?

they are completely worthless because they do not differentiate fat from muscle. any good calculator will at least ask for your waist size and either your neck size or arm size or something to compare to your waist.

Body fat percentage calculators are much more accurate, though even they can be off by 5%. for good health you want to be at 7-15% body fat.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
Huh??? I never gained that much weight ever. My strength more than doubled when I began lifting, but my size and weight stayed the same. Been the same for years. I my have put on 10-15 pounds some time after graduating from high school, but I don't think it was all muscle. My arms maybe increase 1/2 inch. Been lifting on and off for years and been consistent at 150 pounds.

And I am perfectly capable of eating more. Lots more. It just goes on my belly. I think the key is in the squat and the HGH/testosterone boost it brings. Can't do those. My knees hurt too much.

Weights + no added food = strength
Weights + food = strength & growth

Check out the HGH thread. I posted 2 variants on the squat which has no weights placed on your shoulders. Even someone with a bad back should be able to do both.

tomas99

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I have realized my problem. I have calculated protein intake and my usual was about 60-80g protein per day, where I should have at least 110 - 130 or more daily. I am increasing this and will see results.

Reaction score
tomas99 said:
I think I have realized my problem. I have calculated protein intake and my usual was about 60-80g protein per day, where I should have at least 110 - 130 or more daily. I am increasing this and will see results.

holy crap 6ft 2in @ 130 lbs? that's reallllllly skinny man!
anyway yes if you want to increase muscle mass you need to take over 1 g of protein per lb of bodyweight at the least!

also you must remember that you have to eat, train, and get plenty of rest as if you were let's say a 150 lber for starts. if you're eating the same amount of calories as when you were 130 lbs, don't expect to be anything above 130 lbs.

train with 100% intensity but also learn to listen to your body.