Tomas's story (picks UPDATE)

tomas99

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I want to describe my issue, which could be no issue for most people :) . I have realized that there is something wrong with my hairs at the end of November 06. Till that time, I had no idea that I could be loosing my hair. However, than I have noticed that my front long hair (headspring?) are not so full as it have been used to and I have realized that I have bigger temples that before. Few days after that, I have realized thinning hair on vertex since I have never watched my head from this view (who does, except from those who suffer hair loss? :)

I was very scared, but firstly thought that it could be something related to my lifestyle - last year very few rests, sleeping so little and half of my diet has been coumpounded from fast food meals (in fact I am slim but aware what s*** it is). I have arranged meeting with dermatologist, waiting almost two month and I was told that I am OK, I have LOT of hair and NO lost on temples and I shouldn't worry, don't look so much on my and so on. And if I still have feeling it is bad, then use Rogaine for some period, as it is "general help for growing hairs". Btw., it was dermatologist in one of our best hospitals. I started to believe that from where I am, doctors would start doing something once half of my head is bald. If you look OK, it is OK - no matter that a year ago, you could have +30% hairs than now....

Right now, I am the stage where everyone tell me that my hairs are OK, that I have no tempes (see the pics) and that I should eat more healthy and will be ok blah blah... In fact, my hair is thinning, I shed little more than I used to (about 80-100 hairs per day, don't honestly know) and most of my hair I shed are thick from one half in comparing how is my normal hair thick. If I think about it, my right side was little weaker year before, but of course I did not realized this. Before 9 months, all my hairs have been pretty strong and the same size I guess, no excess shedding. It could start about 1.5 year earlier I guess, not earlier. I think I could be diffuse thinner, I have bigger temples, loosing mostly in front and on top, while at the back are hair as always.

I believe it is best to prevent and to fight against such issue as hair loss is (since there is no general cure that solves it completely) from every view possible. Last days and probably few weeks, I have studied as much as I could - considering Immortal Hair regiment, finasteride only, minoxidil and so on. I don't know how is my hair loss agressive, but it can be pretty much.

Right now, I have ordered Spectral DNC as it seems to be useful than Rogaine (I mean not so greasy hairs after using it).

- except minoxidil, I am also considering 0.5 - 1 mg finasterid if private doctor, which I am going to, give me GO signal
- also considering something from immortal hair regimen, at least top 3 + changing eating habbits in his way (lowering rafined sugar and oils)
- using another anti-androgens like topical spironolactone, nizoral, tricoming, Azaic acid
- taking many other supplements which could help with this (zinek, biotin, iron, omega 3, fish oil etc.)

I hope this long term approach could improve something and also maintain my hair for years. When I realized loosing hair, I was thinking about shaving my head (something like Zinedine Zidane has), but on the other side, I really want my hair and I think that we are in time when more powerful treatements will be ready soon, also HM is coming, so I think after ten years of doing nothing and with new possibilities, I could regred that I didn't do something for maintaining my hairs. Also, I look very young, I am 24 now but people think 19-20 sometimes even 17-18 and when there are girls (if any at all!:) that choose/like me in the clubs or pubs, they are 15-17 (no, I am really not pedophile if you ask me). So I am used to look young and that people think I am very young and it would be pity and sad to change my look from teenager to 30 years old man within two years :lol:

Anyway, I really believe that diet has some impact - is it just fact that Asians in Asia aren't so bald and when they travel to Europe and start living and eating like Europeans, they are going bald. Of course, someone with perfect genes could eat anything, but other one can have wrong genes and simply start his male pattern baldness by such a crap we are used to eat in our Western civilization.

First picks (20th February 2007)

Last picks (4th April 2007)

Firstly, I have really short hair now, much shorter than usual, about 1/2 inch. First photos are with 2 and 1/2 inch lenght.

It loos like it is thin mostly on vertex but it is thin on TOP in general. I dont think that my hair is thinner, I just have much less hair as it seems NO (not even thin) new hair is growing. Also it is thinner on sides and back. Temples are the same as in February.

----------- THOUGHTS ON LIFE WITHOUT HAIR -----------

There were many post I have seen on this issue. I know that I am not at the stage where it is notticable by others, but I really think that best think to do is to live your life as before. Don't get me wrong, I am pretty sure that if I lose my hair, girl won't be turning for me at the street and flirt-eye contact in public or clubs will almost disaper, but I am sure if everyone see that you are OK and enjoying your life, they will accept you and will not make deal about it. And finally you want to be with girl that respect you for what you are. If you think that she sould be beautiful too, than you have to offer something and be simply good catch for her - just be very good in what you are doing - job, sport, whatever.

Maybe I am lucky, from what you say, here in Europe and especially in my country, girls are not so picky and superficial as many hot girls have balding young guys. Perhaps it is because we are most balding nation in the world, so girls are probably used to :D http://www.aderans.co.jp/e/company/info ... index.html
And if you ask me, our girls are one of the most beatiful girls in the World, like this one http://i2.ct24.cz/5/1144567428_miss.jpg I understand that some girls don't like bald guys, but in my country, only superficial b*****s that are stupid when you are talking to them would look at you in different way than to other people. I don't know any in my friendship circle.

I think it is really necessary to keep hair shorter, long hair with bald spots really don't look very good. Check Zinedine Zidane for instance, his head is not completely shaved but still looks very good even with bald spot (having it from his early 20's). Also, good dressing style and keeping your head up and shoulders back (not literally! :) ) makes difference to. Plus there is also key feature called SMILE :lol: it breakes ice almost everytime. With possitive attitude, respecting yourself for your skills and knowledges, you should have no problem with feeling embarrassed.

In fact, about feeling like a loser or something like that - usually you are what you think you are because it can be seen in your eyes. If you think you are loser, than everyone will see you like a looser because without knowing it, by subconscious process that happens into your mind you will start treating like a loser. Also, you can start treating like someone unattractive if you think you are. I have lot of experience with this way of thinking in my life and know how it works - in possitive or negative way.

I know baldness sucks, nothing that makes you happy, but life still goeees ooon and if you worry, you make it double.

Cheers,
Tomas

P.S. I have found lot of useful information on this forum too, so I would like to thank you!

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i would see a dermatologist or a doctor who specializes somewhat in hair loss, just to take a close look at your scalp and identify solid signs of male pattern baldness. it's really hard to tell where you are now.

if you are certain male pattern baldness is affecting you, i would start with JUST finasteride and that should get a handle on the problem before it turns into a problem. plus, you won't have to apply topicals every day.

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Read the posts by docj077 and michael barry and decide what else you might want to use. And Revita shampoo I'm gonna order when it's out.

And why do you care what a doctor says about whether you should use finasteride or not? Is he going to perform a battery of tests before he gives you the "ok"?

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Follically Challenged said:
Read the posts by docj077 and michael barry and decide what else you might want to use. And Revita shampoo I'm gonna order when it's out.

And why do you care what a doctor says about whether you should use finasteride or not? Is he going to perform a battery of tests before he gives you the "ok"?

i dunno if your commenting on my comment or just on his thread. i recommended he see a good hair Doctor just to make sure treatments are necessary at all.

tomas99

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I have visited the most specialized dermatologist in our country - it is only and first big centre specialized for hair problems. That's why I was really p***ed off because I believed this is the best place and when they in fact refuse you... But I think it is because our public health is not private and is financed by state, so unless you have serious trable (like all hairs gone in one week), they wont bother with you. They will say it is normal with man, you are getting OLDER. So I think that private center for hair problems will make for me detailed trichogram tests, biopsy, blood test and microscopic test if my hair is thinning and so on...

About asking doctor for Finasteride, I just wanted to know his experience with other people that are using this (if any), about their sides and so on... Anyway you can see my starting hair loss from picks, they should work know.

bababa

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey tomas,

Man you have a similar situation I'm facing. I'm 23 and noticed just over a year ago that my hairline was starting to look a little funny on one side (my right). I also started to notice I was combing out a lot more hairs in the shower than what I usually noticed.
After I found out about finasteride, I went to my local GP to see what could be done about me getting on it. The first one said I was dreaming, but I wasn't buying it... I went for a second opinon, and they sent me straight to a dermo to get on it.
From the looks of it you might be losing a bit on the hairline (more on your left than your right), but other than that your hair looks good. Your very intelligent to be getting onto something so soon, your future looks bright. I'd ditch the idea of topicals and head straight for the finasteride and Nizoral shampoo and see how it goes after a year to make any more decisions...

Oh, on the subject of side effects. I personally haven't had any of them, and I'm 7 months in. In fact my sex drive seems to of increased due to my new found sense of confidence that I'm actually doing something about this vile beast. I have had a few big week long sheds, but other than that, it seems to have stop/dramatically slowed my hairlose. I'm gonna give it a year more before making in decision on addin Rogain foam to my hairline.

Peace

tomas99

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

has your hairline receeded or stayed as it was before starting finasteride?

Only what I am afraid are sides from finasteride. No so much about sex libido:), cause I suppose I do not became impotent overnight, it could just lower it and when I quit it would be probably back.

I am rather afraid of gynecomastia as it could be about 2-5% of people who (I don't mean only large breasts but also nipple tenderness) could have problems with this. However, I don't want to have women's nipples either:) so I am looking for some studies or info that help with preventing this (have found some articles at hair transplant already)

Anyway, I must admit that if I start such thing like finasteride, I would definitely save my sperm into bank. Maybe sounds like paranoia, but I definitely want to have children in future and do not want to risk anything there.

bababa

Established Member
Reaction score
lol, look I'm sure you'll be fine. You can try it, and if your body doesn't adjust to it overnight, give it a couple of weeks and see what happens. Then, if its still bothering you, you can stop it.

So far my hairline seems to have stopped, or at least slowled its rate of lose. I can't really say because I didn't take photos when I started. When I see my dermo in 3 or 4 months, then I'll tell you what he thinks. So far I think its beginning to do its job. Though I still get the occasional day or 2 of shedmania, it seems to becoming less frequent and violent. As I said, you really gotta give the stuff a year to really work.

Peace...

TheDude

Reaction score
Tomas, if you feel you are losing it, get on finasteride, 1mg per day, My hairline is very similar to yours. I believe I have finer hair then you, mine is definitely lighter as well. And i started Finasteride 3 weeks ago. I've started to shed a bit, I'm not sure if it's from finasteride or just a coincidence. But if you feel you are losing it, All you really need is finasteride and some nice shampoo.

Good Luck.

tomas99

Established Member
Reaction score
I suppose that finasteride could be the main weapon, but perhaps is useful some kind of minoxidil like Spectral DNC. Also, I am really not 100% sure if finasteride is enough, maybe for first or second year, but once your hormones change little bit, you can start loosing it. Also, hair loss is also important to. I am considering Tricomin or some another stuff like this for damaged follicles. Also, I have changed my eating habbits recently and just ordered supplements from Immortal Hair regimen:

Double-Strength Cod Liver Oil
Biotin
Nettle Root
Double-Str R-Fraction Alpha Lipoic Acid
Acetyl L-Carnitine
Green Tea Extract
7-Hmrlignans from Norwegian Spruce Tree 1
+
Chasteberry Fruit

However, still not sure if it is not much inhibitors together (with finasteride), but hope it will be ok and will serve well.

Lorenzo_91

Established Member
Reaction score
Tomas take it easy man. Stop going to all these doctors. It's just a waste of time. You have more info than they would ever care to take a look at.

Take a ton of pics. Compare in 6 months. Keep a close eye on your hairline. If it moves back get on .5 finasteride to start. Edit ypou said it already move back then you already know.

.5 finasteride is good but ask around if it's worth it instead of 1 because the regrowth happens in the first 2 years and you will want to get the most out of that.

Looking great, nothing to worry about. I would not even consider a full mg of finasteride yet unless you want to regrow a bit and not just maintain what you have.

tomas99

Established Member
Reaction score
- Three weeks on Minoxidil 2x daily (Spectral DNC), applying it on Norwood 5-6 scale. Dropper does not help to much to avoid minoxidil to stay on hairs, so I will try hypo.

Few days using this:

- Retin-A at night at temples and frontal part of scalp, 30-60 minutes after this apply Spectral
- Cod Liver Oil few times daily, omega 3 daily
- Nizoral 2 times per week but causes itching I think, so I will switch to Revita once it is delivered
- Tricomin daily on all scalp, on weekends I will use it twice a day.
- Started MSM 1000 mg daily yesterday

- Starting 1/4 Proscar within next week once receive prescription

Tomorrow will know results from blood tests (hormones, vitamins, proactin, DHT, liver - simply everything connected with hairs), but I belive everything is OK and it will just confirm genetic hair loss.

Hairs are thinner especially on one part of head but it is just diffuse thinning, hairs (even those thick) have different dirrection and are something like standing, so I guess this is part of degradation process. Temples are as they were, left one which was better is thinner than in January, so I hope it will be fixed with Retin + Minoxidil.

Seems little more shedding last days, perhaps reaction to three-weeks use of Spectral.

Is it possible to apply Tricomin after Minoxidil, doesnt this wash minoxidil off?

tomas99

Established Member
Reaction score
As I said I visited spec Doctor to ensure everything is OK so I can start finasteride with no hassles.

However, after I received blood test results, I was pretty shocked.

My hormones are really unbalanced (testosteron high, prolactin high, estrogen low and so on) and I have several diseases, infections and bacteria such as:

Stomach problems (gastritis), Borrelia, Streptococcus + other two, including one auto-immune reaction.

As it seems my one temple dissapeared within last 8-12 month and there is no improvement or change to worse since my first picks in January, I have lost tons of hairs within last 4-5 months, most is visible last 2 months. I suppose this is not usual and even an accelerated Androgenetic Alopecia, so it is probably related to one of my internal problems. I hope so:) In that case, Doctor said that he had several cases that after gastritis is gone, peoples hairs returned, so I hope my diseases did not make any nonreturnable damages on follicules.

Will post pics to compare change in last 2-3 month this evening. From what I have learned and was told I believe infections are very related to hair loss and it can be even shown in pattern type of hair loss (actually I think I have lost hairs on sides and back too). Also, infections and diseases can cause that hairs are thinner so firstly it is considered as typical Androgenetic Alopecia. It is of course often disease + Androgenetic Alopecia together, however, very rarely Androgenetic Alopecia developed the way that you lose 1/2 hair (literally half of it) within 6 months, so I think if it goes quickly, detailed blood test which covers every aspect are very handy.

tomas99

Established Member
Reaction score
I can not believe it is going fast but it really depressive to want how is hair thinning :cry: , hope it is not my own paranoia. Decided to buzz it down recently because I am not able to wait in this way....on the other side, I have never been with shaved or buzzed head so this won't be pleasant, too... :wink:

RaginDemon

Reaction score
I feel you bro, my hair had gone from being super thick to super thin within 2 yrs.

pologuy514

Established Member
Reaction score
Tomas, give us an update. I hope everything is going well for ya bud.