Tocotrienols + 2% nizoral

zetler

Reaction score
I was looking for an alternative to to finasteride and found a study done on the effect of tocotrienols (type of vitamin e) on hair loss. Heres the abstract of the study:

"Effects of Tocotrienol Supplementation on Hair Growth in Human Volunteers
Studies have shown an association between oxidative stress and alopecia. Patients with alopecia generally exhibit lower levels of antioxidants in their scalp area as well as a higher lipid peroxidation index. Tocotrienols belong to the vitamin E family and are known to be potent antioxidants. Hence, a study was conducted to investigate the effect of tocotrienol supplementation on hair growth in volunteers suffering from hair loss. Twenty one volunteers were randomly assigned to orally receive 100 mg of mixed tocotrienols daily while 17 volunteers were assigned to receive placebo capsule orally. The volunteers were monitored for the number of hairs in a pre-determined scalp area as well as the weight of 20 strands of 1 cm length hair clippings at 0 (before supplementation), 4 and 8 months. The number of hairs of the volunteers in the tocotrienol supplementation group increased significantly as compared to the placebo group, with the former recording a 34.5% increase at the end of the 8-month supplementation as compared to a 0.1% decrease for the latter. Nevertheless, the cumulative weight of 20 strands of hair clippings did not differ much from the baseline for both supplementation groups at the end of the study period. In conclusion, this trial demonstrated that supplementation with tocotrienol capsules increases hair number in volunteers suffering from hair loss as compared to the placebo group. This observed effect was most likely to be due to the antioxidant activity of tocotrienols that helped to reduce lipid peroxidation and oxidative stress in the scalp, which are reported to be associated with alopecia. "

Source: Tropical Life Sciences Research; Dec2010, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p91-99

The study says there was a 15.2% increase in hair counts after four months, and a 34.5% increase after 8 months.

So heres what I'm going to try out for at least four months and see if it works to simply maintain my current amount of hair:

1 Toco-Sorb Mixed Tocotrienols softgel per day (contains 57mg tocotrienols, a fair bit less than the 100mg/day listed in the study)
Nizoral 2% shampoo 2-3 times/week

Bit about myself:
25 years old
Started on finasteride 1mg at age 23 once i had a fair bit of thinning on top, it was very effective in regrowing and maintaining hair. Decided to get off of it in July 2011, no sides experienced, just didn't want to be taking it the rest of my life. Started noticing hair loss in September 2011 so started looking for things to try.
Been using nizoral 2% for 3 years

Any suggestions or questions are welcome

guy12345

Reaction score
Good choice :)
I was taking year ago tocotrienols 2 months, and yes it is the best natural internal treatment (flax seeds are good too)
Hair shedding decrease visibly (from 110, 100 to 40), so it is good natural blocker, better than saw.