Toco-Sorb & Toco-8 vs. Tocotrienols from Food

polaris

Reaction score
Here's the link for the study used for the patent application
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7211274.html

It did mentioned under the section "Study Design" that capsules containing a mixture of about 50 mg of tocotrienols were taken twice daily after food. So, I guess you can calculate the dosages for both Tocosorb & Toco-8 accordingly.

the Last Fight

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that .. ive been taking it away from meals or in shakes, i wonder if taking it after a meal makes that big of a diff.

polaris

Reaction score
It does make a difference in terms of its oral absorption if tocotrienol is taken with food. Tocotrienol, like any other fat soluble vitamins, need to be processed in the stomach before it can be absorbed into the blood system. The presence of food will ease the processing & improve its solubility, thus improving the amount that can be absorbed by our body. Therefore, most fat soluble vitamins should be taken together with food.

However, recently there has been some formulation/products that can improve the oral absorption of tocotrienol. One such example is the one posted by squeegee earlier:Tocomin® SupraBio™ Bio-Enhanced Natural Full Spectrum Palm Tocotrienol / Tocopherol Complex. The manufacturer claims that the patented formula increases the amount of tocotrienol that is absorbed up to 300% regardless of food intake. With this type of special formula, then we can expect to have a consistent absorption whether it is taken with or without food.

the Last Fight

Established Member
Reaction score
With Toco 8 they claim that there product is water soluble and can be taken with anything, that is why i didnt necassarily take it with meals, but reading that patented study has me thinking differently

polaris

Reaction score
I suppose it is all right if you are taking it with milk shakes...it doesn't need to be solid food....just need some form of oily stuff taken together..

Reaction score
Here's an excerpt from the 7,211,274. patent:

"At the end of the supplementation period, all volunteers in the tocotrienol formulation group had positive results, recording an increase in the number of hairs in the evaluation area. Seven volunteers (64%) showed regrowth of between 10 35%while 3 volunteers (27%) had 50% or greater regrowth. One volunteer had regrowth of more than 100%. The mean percentage of increase in the number of hairs is 42.4±40.9% (mean±SD). (Table 1 and FIG. 1). The increase is statistically significant(p<0.05) when analyzed using paired sample t-test."

It's been a while since I've studied statistics, but that's CRAZY. Right? How do you get a statistically signficant result when your standard deviation is that freakin' high?? I would love to see the math on that. Like I said, been a long time since I've taken stats, but that strikes me as odd.

billythekid

Established Member
Reaction score
the large standard deviation is because the results (of the % increase in hairs) ranged from 10% to over 100% (with only one result being over 100% and probably close to 120%). so there's nothing wrong with the numbers in that sense.

the biggest concern about the tests is the sample size

only 11 people!!!

that alone makes the study 'statistically insignificant' imho

also, i'm pretty sure a genuine poster was using toco-8 and all he got was improved cardio but nothing noticeable in terms of hair growth. so it's likely to be a bs product.

Reaction score
billythekid said:
the large standard deviation is because the results (of the % increase in hairs) ranged from 10% to over 100% (with only one result being over 100% and probably close to 120%). so there's nothing wrong with the numbers in that sense.

the biggest concern about the tests is the sample size

only 11 people!!!

that alone makes the study 'statistically insignificant' imho

also, i'm pretty sure a genuine poster was using toco-8 and all he got was improved cardio but nothing noticeable in terms of hair growth. so it's likely to be a bs product.

I'm withholding judgment. Vitamin E (depending on the form) has been shown in studies to downregulate expression of androgen receptors. If Toco-8/Toco-Sorb have the right form of Vitamin E, it's possible they could exert some beneficial effect on hair loss.

***I don't remember off-hand if the study showed downregulation of LNCaP or wild-type AR. That's a pretty big caveat, since they're structurally different; LNCaP (lymph node prostate cancer cells) express a mutated AR with a different ligand binding domain. For Vitamin E (or any other AR downregulating agent) to work against hair loss, it would need to downregulate wild-typeAR (the natural, unmutated AR we have in our dermal papillae).