to those applying minoxidil on the front and back...

grabber

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you apply 1ml on the back and 1 ml on the front, giving a total of 4ml per day ?

Or do you just put half on the front (0.5ml) and the other half on the back of the head ?

Thanks.

CCS

Reaction score
merk upjohn anticipated that you would just be putting it on the back when they said 1mL, but now we know to put it everywhere. i personally use 3-4 per session, but am trying to get down to 2mL to cut costs, or dilute with rubbing alcohol to spread more and get higher penetration (according to bryan).

some people on here are affraid you'd get to much systemically if you use more than 1mL. use using more does mean more systemically, the fact is most people can handle xandrox 15%, so i think you will be fine.

i can't get 1 mL to cover my whole scalp. some people say their box says that if they place drops every half or inch, i forget which, I thought they said every inch, the minoxidil will diffuse under the skin to get the other areas. however, Bryan says dr proctor does not believe that occurs much.

if you are just using minoxidil and propecia, i think you should use as many mL of 5% as needed to get everything covered, though not drownded.

bryan says the propylene glycol is mainly to dissolve more than 2.9% minoxidil to make the 5%, and is not needed to increase absorption, because optiomal absorption occurs with 90% alcohol. I don't know if the propylene glycol counts as an alcohol here, but rogaine does have 15% water in it. perhaps that is so your skin does not burn as much.

i'm going to dilute my 5% to 3.5% for more coverage. I just wish i knew how much the water in the alcohol is a problem, and am going to look into perfumer's alcohol, though i don't want any methanol.

Thin

Established Member
Reaction score
college, how many teaspoons or tablespoons of rubbing alcohol should i put in a regular bottle of minoxidil? Would any rubbing alcohol be fine? i peeled my label so i wouldn't know how many ml is one bottle.[/quote]

Reaction score
I have 5% minoxidil 1ml per time , twice a day.

Each time I apply 1/3ml on the crown, 1/3ml on the frontal hairline, 1/3ml on the temple.

The instruction says "Never exceed 2ml/day", but doesn't give reason.

Apoc

Established Member
Reaction score
Systemic sides are the reason. You can soak your head in a bucket of minoxidil if your body can take it.

Felk

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
however, Bryan says dr proctor does not believe that occurs much.

When did he say this? Bryan is always quoting Proctor's belief, of how medications do treat areas to which they are not applied, though Dr P says himself he's not entirely certain how.

beaner

Reaction score
Felk said:
collegechemistrystudent said:
however, Bryan says dr proctor does not believe that occurs much.

When did he say this? Bryan is always quoting Proctor's belief, of how medications do treat areas to which they are not applied, though Dr P says himself he's not entirely certain how.

When I first started using minoxidil I was also under the incorrect impression that it was only to be used on the crown so that is where I used it. My hair thickened in places I didn't apply it including slow regrowth on the sides of my head and the corners of the temples.

acd483

Reaction score
I think you should do .5 in front and .5 in back am & pm. I found over-application caused flaking.

shh5455

Established Member
Reaction score
I do 1ml front 1mL back at night and like .75mL front / .75mL in the morning. I don't use as much in the morning b/c I don't rub it in. If I did my hair would get really white. It still gets a little white, but it's tolerable.

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I apply 1mL througout the scalp with emphasis on the frontal part of my head.