To stay on Propecia or Not.

sfperc

Reaction score
I have been on Propecia for about 3 monthss and I think my hair loss in the temple areas has gotten much worse. Plus, since my new prescription I have felt a burning sensation on my head, in temple areas, most of the time. Not a bad burning, more of a tinging sensation. Is this just proof the Propecia is working? It just seems like the hair is getting thinner and thinner and that Propecia has made it far worse than it was. Please help.

MPBWarrior

Experienced Member
Reaction score
the tingling sensation should've died down after u started using finasteride because that feeling is your body attacking your hair follicle, thinking it's a foreign object (and this is caused by DHT). at the end of the day, propecia could only be making your hair better, unless your hairloss isn't caused by male pattern baldness. i would either wait longer or see a derm, but not stop taking finasteride.

FlashDance

Established Member
Reaction score
Similar situation...

I am in a similar situation. I started Propecia, increased shedding almost immediately, and have had tingling, dandruff, itching, and burning on the top part of my scalp. I believe Ketoconazole is only exacerbating the situation. I have been off and on Propecia since June of 06 and still have ups and downs with the symptoms...

Pondle

Reaction score
You could drop the Nizoral and replace it with Tricomin, Folligen and/or one of Dr Proctor's products. They don't work in the same way but it's always good to know you're attacking male pattern baldness topically as well as systematically.

Jm0311

Reaction score
i think tricomin may be working for me..i am seeing some new hairs sprout...even though it may be my imagination but it looks good to me. plus my hair is healthier

barcafan

Reaction score
Jm0311 said:
i think tricomin may be working for me..i am seeing some new hairs sprout...even though it may be my imagination but it looks good to me. plus my hair is healthier

It will still fall out,

sfperc

Reaction score
umdance,

When you went on and off propecia, did you find hairloss to be accelerated? My burning/itching has died down, but it seems like more hair is coming out around the temples...maybe it's just going to happen. Did you receive another shed when going back on propecia?

jd24

Established Member
Reaction score
i had a period of lots of shedding
i had the burning sensation before use
after use i had it again but less burning and more tingling likeyou said
in these areas ive had re-growth

how long have you been on it?

FlashDance

Established Member
Reaction score
It's a very odd thing. I am wondering also if it's a mind over matter thing as well.

But, when I stopped taking Propecia, after about a week or so, the burning/melting sensation I got on my scalp died down a bit. However, I would still itch and hairs would fall out.

I'm currently going to remain on Propecia for a while, but I definitly notice an overall thinning of my hair. It definitly sucks, but at least there aren't any bald spots.

Also, I would feel MUCH better about the thinning look, if there also wasn't pain associated with it. I never had any pain/problems with my hair before starting Propecia. While I can look at old pictures and see my hair wasn't spectacular, at least it didn't itch or hurt!

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
I have the same thing, extreme burning and itching only it on my left temple and it's thinner than than right one. I heard if you put Apple Cider Vinegarand let it sit for 10 minutes and then wash hair the itch would stop (something to do with the PH in your scalp) I tried it and beleive it or not the itch stopped. Not sure if it will return but so far so good. Hope this helps. Good Luck