To late to start?

nydheart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have been contemplating for a long time starting the big three regiment. I have a diffuse thinning pattern (no recession at front) and have been shaving my head for about 6 years. I started thinning when I was 18 and am now 28. It has been a fairly slow process overall. I know when I let my hair grow in a bit it seems like i have a strong frontal hairline but like I said diffuse thinning about the top. The questions I have are has anyone started this late and had good success with regrowth? If so what products did you use to attain this? Secondly, should I start using minoxidil or wait and see how the propecia does on its own? If so is the standard 5% good or should I look at something like Dr. Lees azealic acid combo? Lastly, what is the purpose of the nizoral in the whole regime? Is this the same shampoo you can buy from the drugstore? IS THERE ANY HOPE! Thanks in advance.

Nyd,

nikeaddict

Established Member
Reaction score
this is my advise. your not going to regrow super amounts, just a little, maybe an ok amount. if you are willing to work at it everyday with the pill and application you can save what you have left and maybe even add a little. if you do nothing you will keep loosing, if you do something you can save and probably even help your current look. up to you, good luck

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
I too *had* slow thinning for 10 or so years before getting my best results ever after starting minoxidil one year ago, at 29.

After 13 months on minoxidil, me hair looks better than it has in ages. Some decent regrowth and thickening all aboot.

You should give finasteride and minoxidil a shot. minoxidil just once a day if that's all you can handle. Though with buzzed/shaved head applying it should be easy. Get some of Lee's regular minoxidil if you want fast drying and possibly less itch/flake if that becomes a problem.

Start with plain minoxidil for 6 months or so and see if it does the jobby job. Save the more expensive topicals for if minoxidil results aren't satisfactory.

And, most importantly -

Fight On, Hair Warrior!

nydheart

Established Member
Reaction score
Niles, are you using propecia as well as minoxidil? The comment before yours was a little discouraging. I do not wish not grow an OK amount of hair, if thats the case ill just keep shavin the wh***. Did your hair also thin in a diffuse pattern? Thanks.

G

Check out the photo gallery on this website of the members on the big 3. Note Martin especially. He is a diffuser and he has had great results. Maybe your hairloss is like his.

NilesTilden

Established Member
Reaction score
nydheart said:
Niles, are you using propecia as well as minoxidil? The comment before yours was a little discouraging. I do not wish not grow an OK amount of hair, if thats the case ill just keep shavin the wh***. Did your hair also thin in a diffuse pattern? Thanks.

I had been using propecia alone for 3 yrs before starting minoxidil last Feb. My hairline kept getting worse and thinner during that time. I stopped finasteride when I started minoxidil. Then about 7-8 months later I thought I was shedding finasteride saved hairs from the crown area, so reluctantly started it back up every other day last september. My mniox results haven't declined any since starting finasteride back up.

Before minoxidil, I was probably NW2/diffuse, now I say I'm NW1.5 and a good bit thicker. And yes I'd been a diffuse thinner all over the top. minoxidil has thickened it all up significantly. Absolutely worth trying for 6 months.

Your results could be better or worse than mine, so others' minoxidil experience may not be like your own. People respond anywhere from not at all, to damned well. Gotsa try to find out.