To finasteride or not to finasteride - 29yo male, no hairline recession

CrownOnly

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 29, always been complimented on how thick my hair is, and how lucky I am. My barber even said to me "You're never going bald mate, you have one thick mop of hair".

I have minimal recession on my hairline, basically NW1 or mature hairline.

It's just my goddamn crown! I'm ridiculously thick everywhere apart from my damn crown! My father started having noticeable crown thinning when he turned 34.

Currently on minoxidil almost 3 months in, these pictures were taken pre minoxidil.

Attachments

• 20200723_061839.jpg
    20200723_061839.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 20200723_063254.jpg
    20200723_063254.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 102
  • 20200723_063255.jpg
    20200723_063255.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 20200725_090347.jpg
    20200725_090347.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 20200725_095104.jpg
    20200725_095104.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 100

Ourkes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@CrownOnly
Until you mentioned your father balding at the crown in his 30's, I didn't completely suspect thinning here, as the visible scalp meets your hair whorl, suggesting perhaps a very unruly cowlick. Is your Father completely bald now at the crown?

How does you hair density on this area look wet?

If your crown is thinning, it's early. Seeing more and more positive reports of topicals (finasteride and dutasteride with liposamol gel) halting hairloss where it's not too aggressive.

If your unsure, see a dermatologist or well regarded hair transplant surgeon.

CrownOnly

My Regimen
Reaction score
@CrownOnly
Until you mentioned your father balding at the crown in his 30's, I didn't completely suspect thinning here, as the visible scalp meets your hair whorl, suggesting perhaps a very unruly cowlick. Is your Father completely bald now at the crown?

How does you hair density on this area look wet?

If your crown is thinning, it's early. Seeing more and more positive reports of topicals (finasteride and dutasteride with liposamol gel) halting hairloss where it's not too aggressive.

If your unsure, see a dermatologist or well regarded hair transplant surgeon.

Thanks a lot for your response. And yes I've suspected it could be an unruly cowlick, I've got one on the front of my head.

My father's baldness in the crown is kinda small but it's noticeable, the crown thinning doesn't cover the entire width of his head. He's 72 now. My mother said she noticed him thinning noticeably starting when he was around 34.

However people mentioned thinning to me when I buzzed my own hair, however that could simply be me unevenly shaving it.

I'll update this thread with wet pictures + I'll have a buzzcut in 2 weeks when lockdown ends here in the UK.

Ourkes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@CrownOnly
You're welcome. A buzz cut and / or photos of wet hair can help gauge the situation better. But sometimes, it really is difficult to assess hair loss from photographs - lighting and camera exposure can really distort things and make areas of hair which naturally split off in different directions, appear thinner. Throw in fine hair, straight hair, dark hair against light skin etc, and it further exacerbates the issue.

That said, as you Dar has lost some hair, you may also follow his patter (which in all fairness, sounds rather mild). And if you are thinning, there are plenty of treatments you can pursue.