To all T-gel users!

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
When picking up T-Gel I noticed that there were all these different variations. I know allot of you revere T-gel and was wondering which kind you use. I ended up getting one with a 2% coal tar extract. It also says orignal on the top. Any thoughts?

canigia

Reaction score
I was wondering about that. I think there are 2 variations on t-gel. the therapeutic and the anti-duntruff. the first has coal tar. so anyone has any ideas which is better?

The Gardener

Reaction score
I use the normal TGel, on the days I do decide to use it. All of the TGel shampoos have the same active ingredient, Coal Tar. The main variations are that some of them are labeled 'Extra Strength' and I believe they may have either 3% or 5% Coal Tar as opposed to 2%. Since I am taking this as a preemptive anti-inflammatory and not for actual dandruff, I stick to the 2% of the normal TGel. I believe that there is another variation of it that contains Menthol? Menthol is a superficial additive, not an anti-inflammatory, but it might help soothe people who have itchy scalps because Menthol has a topical anesthetic effect. There is yet another shampoo in the same series, TSal. This is different than TGel, the active ingredient is not Coal Tar, but Salicilyc Acid which to my knowledge is an Alpha Hydrox and helps exfoliate and dissolve dead skin cells. I don't believe this is an anti-inflammatory, but for people with actual dandruff it helps control flaking.

hopewas

Reaction score
i use the intensive anti flake dandruff control one. to me it's the best one

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses. It seems like I got the 2%, one of the gentler of the variations. If I had known I probably would have opted for the intensive anti dandruff flake control one but I'm glad I made the mistake. My scalp can't handle any more harsh products then its already enduring.

hairGain

Reaction score
Hi, i just got Folligen, does it have the same benefits as applying the T-Gell. I will be taking Proscar/4, applying the minoxidil and the folligen. Anyother sugestions?
Thanks.

:freaked2:

George Costanza

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, i just got Folligen, does it have the same benefits as applying the T-Gell. I will be taking Proscar/4, applying the minoxidil and the folligen. Anyother sugestions?
Thanks.

Yea, Tgel. :lol:

avri

Established Member
Reaction score
Let's be clear about the types of T/Gel:

Original - 2% Coal Tar Extract (0.5% Coal Tar).

Stubborn Itch Control - 2% Coal Tar Extract (0.5% Coal Tar).

Extra Strength - 4% Coal Tar Extract (1.0% Coal Tar).

The Original T/Gel was used in the Propecia stuides. "There are animal and human occupational exposure data to show that coal tar is carcinogenic", and though the FDA approves of the use of coal tar in shampoos (short while as it is washed off within minutes), excessive amounts are not desireable.

avri

Fuzz

Reaction score
Salicylic acid, like in TSal, is also an antiseptic and disinfectant. It is basically the liquid version of aspirin and helps to reduce inflammation.

I know Dr. Lee's Regrowth Treatment Shampoo contains 2% ketoconazole and 3% salicylic acid, attempting to prevent the synthesis of DHT in the scalp. I am not sure if the Salicylic acid is just to control flaking or if Dr. Lee feels it can prevent the synthesis of DHT in the scalp.