to all sufferers...

claretnick

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’m a journalist in the UK, and I’m looking for some help in collecting information.

First, a bit of background. My fiancée has just turned 24. She’s been losing hair for around 7 months. It’ll stop for a while, then start again. In all honesty, it’s not too bad, but it has been so depressing for her, and I must say it’s been fairly tough for me watching it happen to her as well. In my opinion, there can be little more distressing to a girl of her age – it’s really torn her apart. No GP has taken her seriously, and no-one really seemed to care. She visited a London “hairloss centreâ€, who diagnosed female patter baldness, and scared her so much by saying “if we don’t catch it now it will all fall out†that she was forced to fork out a considerable amount of money. She has absolutely no genetic history of pattern baldness, and, like I said, it’s been happening for about 7 months – losing around 200 hairs every couple of days, primarily in the shower.

I did not believe this “clinic†one bit, and went onto discuss the situation with one of the UK’s leading trichologists. Further research suggested this “clinic†employs no trichologist at all, and despite their claim that they offer “prescription treatmentsâ€, none of their staff are registered physician, so their claim is just plain rubbish.

Anyway, to tie off the story, she’s now been correctly diagnosed with telogen effluvium (we’re still working on the cause).

I am so disgusted with the clinic she went to, that I’ve conducted even more research, particularly into Minoxidil, which, as I’m sure we all know, does nothing for Androgenetic Alopecia sufferers. It claims to help anything between 20 and 60% of women with regrowth – and it’s my suspicion that that’s because 20 – 60% of women are diagnosed wrongly, and their Telogen Effluvium self-repairs, making it look like minoxidil works.

I’m now looking to write on this subject, and looking to fully investigate some of these clinics. I’m looking to open dialogue with any UK-based females under the age of 30 who have a similar story to tell. My information comes largely from a very reputable source within the trichology profession, and I intend to get more testimony from other leading authorities. The article has interest from several UK newspapers - my aim being to expose some of the dirty dealings of this terrible industry.

Please, please get in touch: I may even have answers which will help you all – or I WILL be able to point you in the right direction to get your problems resolved. And if nothing else, I can be a friendly ear for you.

Just reply to this topic or PM me and we can talk discretely – and I will be completely anonymous with anything I write..

Thinking of you all,

N

SnapD

Reaction score
Great, but too late?

Just wanted to say that I think what you're doing is great and I hope that you expose all the scaming clinics out there who are preying on desperate and vulnerable people. I'm not from the UK, so I'm not useful to you, but I've had my own clinical-scam experience here in Canada, BC. Thanks for your work and interest. I hope you still keep in touch with this website.