Tips And Tricks For Applying Topicals

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For the first time today I applied a topical to my scalp (honey - for the antimicrobial and antiinflammatory effects) and had a bit of a hard time with it so I figured folks here have a lot of experience applying topicals and might advise on the best way to do it.

I have some temporal recession and some thinning up top, but I still have a lot of hair and I have long hair, which makes it difficult to apply things and the honey I was applying was very viscous so that made it hard. A lot of what I tried applying ended up on the hair, not the scalp. Any advice?

I found the following to be a good approach:
1) go against the hair
You start where the hair begins to grow (your forehead for the top of the head, base of your head for the back for the base of the head), put your finger on the scalp and you run your fingers through, all the way to the end (back of the head). This will lift the hairs as you go along and allow you to get to the scalp.

2) use all fingers
This may not work for other topicals where dosing needs to be more careful, but with honey where you can put on as much as you want, the best way is to lather it onto all your fingers and then run all your fingers through your hair at the same time, like a rake, as opposed to using just one or two fingers at the same time. That way you cover more surface area quicker.

3) wet hair
In retrospect, I think it would have been a lot easier to get past the hair and get to the scalp had I wet my hair beforehand.