Time to Give up?

runner32

Reaction score
Hey all! Just lookin for some general tips/advice/suggestions.

Basically I started thinning in my mid 20s but nothing major. I never really addressed it because I had such a short almost buzz hairstyle anyway so it didn't look that bad. Years later I chose a longer hairstyle and the hair thinning was much more obvious.

It wasn't until about 5 years ago (at age 33) when my sister said to me "are you going to do something about your hair? You are way too young to be sporting a comb over". It was pretty harsh, but maybe I needed to hear it.

So I started using propecia and rogaine topical. I pretty much saw dramtic results and started to see thicker hair and started to get compliments that my hair looked fuller. My hair stylist even said the next time I saw him which was about a year later- said I had waaay more hair than before. So I know it was working. This lasted for about two years.

Then I lost my job and paying for extra things like propecia and rogaine took a back seat so I stopped using them, not entirely but I certainly wasn't using them regularly. Hair started to thin out again. I realized that propecia for $70 a month was way too much so I stopped taking it all together. I was using the rogaine every once and awhile. I also started cutting my own hair instead of going to a stylist. I cut my hair pretty well and like to have it cleaned up and cut weekly.

It wasn't until about 5 months ago that I saw online that you could get Proscar for way cheaper than Propecia by just cutting the pill into quarters. I was ecstatic. I immediately started on the Proscar taking 1.25 mg (a quarter pill) every morning and taking the rogaine at night before bed and when I woke up I would take the rogaine again but in the morning it wouldnt be on my head long because once I shower it rinses off probably. This produced great results and my hair started getting thicker and thicker and I noticed it almost immediately.

I kept this up for the past 4 months or so but stopped the rogaine about two months ago because I thought that the Proscar was the reason for the drastic results. So, I probably stopped rogaine for maybe two months but stayed on and am still on the Proscar. What blows me away is that in a span of what seems like one month, my hair is drastically thinning again and going back to where it was prior to discovering Proscar 4 months ago.

I just can't believe how fast it is thinning again! Was it stopping the rogaine? Am I getting immune or used to the Proscar? Anyway, I started back up on the rogaine twice a day and proscar but am kinda freaking out wondering if I should see a dermatologist or just continue back w/ proscar and rogaine and see what happens? I am also contimplating giving it up all together.

I used to sport a buzz cut back when I was younger and in college so I may be able to pull off the shaved head look but I'd rather not if it can be avoided. One of my best friends was going through the same thing but he never tried any of the treatments. He just shaved his head and is dealing with it. He's a good looking guy and still gets attention from women but I know he is very self conscious about his head. I know I would be the same way.

I also take multi vitamins and a 1000mg Biotin everyday for hair, skin health. Don't really shampoo much in fear that hair will fall out.

That is another thing, I never really notice the shedding or hair falling out anywhere. Not sure where it goes but it definitely is thinner?

When I style my hair it looks good in pictures and out at the bars/clubs and nightlife but I know it looks terrible during the day and under the light because of the way I style it.

Oh, by the way- the thinning is all throughout the top/middle of the head. Kind of like a large peanut shape balding spot. My hairline is good and it is pretty full in back top and sides.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Time to shave the head? I'm about ready to throw in the towel and I definitely can't afford or want any of the transplant stuff.

Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated!

Northman

Established Member
Reaction score
You are roller coastering with your hair. That is why your results are all over the place. You need to use the products consistently pretty much for as long as you want the results. You are shedding because you stopped the minoxidil. Start again.

A

andrew lincoln

He has a point, stopping minoxidil like that probably has a lot to do with the shedding....

runner32

Reaction score
Thanks

View attachment Old Pic 02_12.pdfView attachment Recent Pic 02_13.pdfThanks for the reply. I've learned alot on these forums. I never really quite understood how the minoxidil and finasteride worked. I should have never stopped minoxidil. I assumed the finasteride was sufficient. Boy was I wrong! I guess it's just hard to say if the drastic thinning/shedding/hair loss was from stopping minoxidil for several months or from recently starting back up? Oh well, I recently (within last few weeks) started back on minoxidil and just the other day bought some Nizoral 2% as I never heard of the big three and it seems like many on these forums have had success. I know the finasteride/minoxidil combo worked in the past so i'm hoping adding the Nizoral will also help.

I plan to keep up and start 1.25 everyday and 5% minoxidil twice a day and Nizoral once every few days. I took a pic a few weeks ago. I'll continue and keep up hope and will post pics as I go along

The first pic is from about a year ago when I was still on the minoxidil/finasteride...the second pic is from a few weeks ago...

Thanks

runner32

Reaction score
Update...I've been reading alot about the success of the Big 3. I've had good results from the Big 2 in using finasteride/Min before I became inconsistant and was going on and off the meds. Now that I have decided to go back to finasteride/Min, I'm wondering should I add the Nizoral and do the Big 3. It seems many people's regimine is a finasteride/Nozoral combo only or the Big 3 finasteride/Min/nizoral. I haven't seen too many or any at all for that matter that just use finasteride/minoxidil. My issue is not sides, but I am more concerned with now that I intend to stick with a regimine and not waver, is it a good idea to add Nizoral? Now that i'm back with finasteride/minoxidil, will starting Nizoral again cause an increase in shedding and set me back again? Plus it appears that it is or may be discontinued or out of stock ect. I just ordered a couple red box 100ml bottles from pharmcom for $35 on some new zealand website. My concern is starting on something and then not being able to get more of it due to availability/price ect...suggestions?

Should i just keep up with the finasteride/Min (1/4 proscar and Rogaine 5% foam)or should I add the nizoral and go full blown Big 3. Don't rogaine and nizoral do the same thing? It seems like rogaine and proscar are going to be easier to keep up with than all 3 due to limited availabilty with no indications it will come back to US or retailers here in US.....Thoughts?

runner32

Reaction score
Time to give up Update-4 months back on Rogaine

Update: 4 months back on Rogaine foam twice daily. 1/4 (1.25mg) Proscar daily.

photo-2.jpgphoto-3.jpgphoto-1.jpgphoto-4.jpg

runner32

Reaction score
Great results... runner32

Keep up the treatment.

Thanks Terral. I'll keep it up and continue to update on my progress.....

Side note...my hairline isn't too bad so I'm not that worried about it. My major concern is the top of my head where it is so darn thin all over....I've also been dabbing small amounts of Rogaine on/near my hairline to see if that helps but I really haven't noticed any improvements there...

runner32

Reaction score
What's up all. I thought I'd jump in here and post an update. I am pretty much goin on 7-8 months or so now on the rogaine foam(twice daily) and 1.25 proscar daily. I seemed to be cruisin along since starting back on the rogaine, but I seemed to have my most significant results around the 4-5 month mark. The re-growth seems to have halted recently and I feel like I am goin through a pretty significant shed. (I haven't shed since starting back in feb or march). I originally was feeling quite good about my results and am suddenly getting disouraged. I even had a co worker on my birthday the other day point out that "you must be gettin up there in age ..you are losing a little bit up on top there"...."at least it's just a little bit on top and not the front and sides like mine"....needless to say that was discouraging to hear. I mean I know i'm thinning, but I guess it hits home when someone makes a comment about it. I had been doing so well....anyway..here are the pics I have taken not to the exact day, but pretty much every 30 days......let me know your thoughts if anyone has any...also...has anyone else experienced a shed out of nowhere after initially seeing decent results?

month1.jpgmonth2.jpgmonth3.jpgmonth4.jpgmonth5.jpgmonth6.jpgmonth7.jpgmonth8.jpg

anonymous

Established Member
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, I'm 11 years younger and my hair is much worse than yours.

I think you're a fast responder to minoxidil. The gains you made before you stopped were all minoxidil and I don't think the finasteride as kicking in yet. Just stick to your guns for as long as you want your hair.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi
Lots of people experience second or thrid sheds from Minoxidil after some very impressive results so don't get discouraged and stick to it. Judging by the pictures, your hair looks much thicker in the last one than in the first one. It must be working ! Congratulations!

Helel

Established Member
Reaction score
"You are way too young to be sporting a comb over."

Wow. What the **** does that mean for the rest of us.

runner32

Reaction score
Haha yeah I'm 22 and concealing via combover.

Well, we'll see what happens guys. I just don't remember a shed last time around. I attributed the loss of hair after the initial good results to being lazy and inconsistent with the treatments. I've been on the proscar and rogaine steady now for about 7-8 months so I'm a little worried. I mean what is the point if you experience growth then lose it all...gain it back, then lose it all....ugh...so frustrating. It's either stick with it, or just buzz/shave my head. Not quite ready for that even though i'm almost 40. Still fightin the fight. I'm goin kickin and screaming..lol

Be glad you younger guys are trying to do something about it early. I wish I did...i think I initially started noticing slight thinning when I was about 26 ish but I didnt do anything about it until it was really bad at about the age of 34...ugh.....

I'll stay with it and continue to post my results.....

- - - Updated - - -

Well, we'll see what happens guys. I just don't remember a shed last time around. I attributed the loss of hair after the initial good results to being lazy and inconsistent with the treatments. I've been on the proscar and rogaine steady now for about 7-8 months so I'm a little worried. I mean what is the point if you experience growth then lose it all...gain it back, then lose it all....ugh...so frustrating. It's either stick with it, or just buzz/shave my head. Not quite ready for that even though i'm almost 40. Still fightin the fight. I'm goin kickin and screaming..lol

Be glad you younger guys are trying to do something about it early. I wish I did...i think I initially started noticing slight thinning when I was about 26 ish but I didnt do anything about it until it was really bad at about the age of 34...ugh.....

I'll stay with it and continue to post my results.....

On a side note.....it looks like Nizoral may be back in stores? I actually have a couple bottles that I haven't been using yet. I wanted to just use proscar and rogaine. I was afraid if I got dependent on the nizoral and it wasn't available anymore or too expensive, I'd be s.o.l. Now that it seems available does anyone recommend me adding that to my regemin and making it the official big 3? Any chance of it not being a good idea jumping in now with the nizoral? Also does anyone advise on 1% or 2%..i'm not sure but I think I have the red bottle 2% at home....anyone...anyone?

Ziuri

Reaction score
It's NEVER time to give up. I'll keep on fighting until my last hair has shed and even after it has, I'll spend the REST of my life trying to take back what is MINE.

runner32

Reaction score
Update. Closing in on close to a year back on the Rogaine Foam and Proscar. I've been using pretty religiously and added nizoral 2% a couple times a week the last couple months. Months 1-8
month1.jpgmonth2.jpgmonth3.jpgmonth4.jpgmonth5.jpgmonth6.jpgmonth7.jpgmonth8.jpg

runner32

Reaction score
Thought I'd give an official update since I'm about 12 months in. I also found a few old pics from about 08/09' just as I started trying finastrad/minoxidil. If anything, it's clear that it certainly is better than doing nothing and it does work...I just wish it worked much better......
12 months in...photo.jpg

Mo 1 photo (2).jpg Mo 12 photo.jpg Here are the older ones from 08/09 SDC11259 (2).jpgday1.jpg

The Far Side

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update and the pictures, I think the results are pretty impressive. As far as relying on Nizoral etc. I believe the main thing is the 1 or 2% Ketoconazole ingredient which you can find in other shampoos (Regenpure springs to mind), so you won't be s.o.l.