Time To Accept Defeat And Shave It All Off?

Eazy12

Established Member
Reaction score
Quick backstory.
Age 27, started losing it at 16. Been taking 0.5 to 1mg finasteride for the past few years now with various brands of minoxidil most days and nizoral twice a week. Sometimes dermaroll but not too regular maybe once a week.
Hair has got slightly worse from when I was, say 21-23 but stayed somewhat steady since.
Im just looking for opinions really, does my hair loss just look a bit 'tragic', like Im silly for holding on to it? Or is it worth keeping and not to shave it off? The finasteride has helped maintain but I was hoping it would fill in my crown but it hasnt and i think ive given it long enough to do so.
I dunno man I feel good about my hair sometimes then other times I just think it looks terrible. I suppose the alternative is get a hair transplant abroad somewhere but no idea what that would cost in £££
Honest thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20180311_012101202.jpg
    IMG_20180311_012101202.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_20180311_013958646.jpg
    IMG_20180311_013958646.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 514

Trying2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey mate who says you have to shave it! I know what the battles like one day your happy next you just wanna give up. But it’s up to you man! Fingers crossed some treatments come in the next 2-3 years replice ect. I think this could help us all. And you no what even if you shave it you still continue your treatments and could make it look better. Best of luck mate

diseasedrat

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would say buzz the sides to a 2 and the top to a three or four. You will looks much much better and it will be a sigh of relief.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
you could go to dutasteride

N003

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How long do you take finasteride?

How is the situation in your family? Father,Grandfather?

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Quick backstory.
Age 27, started losing it at 16. Been taking 0.5 to 1mg finasteride for the past few years now with various brands of minoxidil most days and nizoral twice a week. Sometimes dermaroll but not too regular maybe once a week.
Hair has got slightly worse from when I was, say 21-23 but stayed somewhat steady since.
Im just looking for opinions really, does my hair loss just look a bit 'tragic', like Im silly for holding on to it? Or is it worth keeping and not to shave it off? The finasteride has helped maintain but I was hoping it would fill in my crown but it hasnt and i think ive given it long enough to do so.
I dunno man I feel good about my hair sometimes then other times I just think it looks terrible. I suppose the alternative is get a hair transplant abroad somewhere but no idea what that would cost in £££
Honest thoughts?

Seriously dude, you have baldness in the BEST AREA of the scalp.

It IS A f*****g TRAGEDY, THAT you can't regrow THAT BACK.

If you give up now, You're definitely going to start having hair like HARVEY WEINSTEIN, in which case you
BETTER BE VERY f*****g RICH, if you plan to even think about having Kids.

Just saying...

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
He just needs to regrow his vertex, and take topical Finasteride, combined
with Minoxidil. Possibly a mixture of both.

And as far as topical Finasteride, I would seriously consider using .25%, which is equivalent
to 2.5 milligrams oral.

Hairstyle is a personal choice, especially for us guys.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Quick backstory.
Honest thoughts?

You still have a good amount of hair.

Keep this in mind, if the follicles aren't dead, but in the process of "dying", you
can probably grow them back.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
He just needs to regrow his vertex, and take topical Finasteride, combined
with Minoxidil. Possibly a mixture of both.

And as far as topical Finasteride, I would seriously consider using .25%, which is equivalent
to 2.5 milligrams oral.

Hairstyle is a personal choice, especially for us guys.
I don't know the vertex is a b**ch to get back when it starts. I've been on the end of a losing battle for 20 years now, wont respond to anything and I have literally thrown the kitchen sink at it! I wish id have got a Fue and just covered it up and ended this f*****g misery.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know the vertex is a b**ch to get back when it starts. I've been on the end of a losing battle for 20 years now, wont respond to anything and I have literally thrown the kitchen sink at it! I wish id have got a Fue and just covered it up and ended this f*****g misery.

Believe me, I know exactly what you're talking about. I've been balding for
almost thirty years.

The thing is, if he gets a topical with a high Finasteride dosage ( 0.25% = 2.5 milligrams orally), he
will be much better off. Especially if he combines it with 5% Minoxidil.

I had a vertex, and comb overs, but I grew it all back. I'm close to fifty years old as well.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Eazy12

Don't give up the fight to save your hair.

I strongly recommend you take a 0.25% Finasteride/Minoxidil (5%) topical solution.

Also, I think you should definitely try dermastamping, on your vertex, IN ADDITION to
using Retinol on your vertex.

I really DO think you can grow it all back.

Now, if you wait and do NOTHING, you might as well shave it, because your window
of opportunity won't knock on your door for you.

Eazy12

Established Member
Reaction score
@Eazy12

Don't give up the fight to save your hair.

I strongly recommend you take a 0.25% Finasteride/Minoxidil (5%) topical solution.

Also, I think you should definitely try dermastamping, on your vertex, IN ADDITION to
using Retinol on your vertex.

I really DO think you can grow it all back.

Now, if you wait and do NOTHING, you might as well shave it, because your window
of opportunity won't knock on your door for you.
Where does one get topical finasteride in the UK? Is it used as well as or instead of oral finasteride? Im going to derma twice a week for 3 months to see if it makes a difference.
Also I do use minoxidil 5% 1ce or twice a day, cant find any evidence of retinol making a difference though, you mean guys just dump retinol cream in their hair and rub it in?

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Where does one get topical finasteride in the UK? Is it used as well as or instead of oral finasteride? Im going to derma twice a week for 3 months to see if it makes a difference.
I am not aware of it being available in the UK. I buy it mixed with Minoxidil from Minoxidilmax.com, You can use either the Essegen 6 or the Dualgen 15 plus. It takes a couple of weeks to arrive unless you pay £25 for post.

N003

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Easy12 how is the situation in your family? Grandfather, father, Uncles?

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also I do use minoxidil 5% 1ce or twice a day, cant find any evidence of retinol making a difference though, you mean guys just dump retinol cream in their hair and rub it in?

I know a couple of places that sell it in the United States only, so I cannot really help you on that one.

Retinol just helps Minoxidil penetrate by burning a thin layer off of the scalp, that's about it.

Baldness just sucks.

It's just a shame for you to give up now, because the vertex is the easiest hair to grow back.

It really is.

Last edited: