Time for avodart to get OUTA MY DAMN SYSTEM??

Thinning1

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've decided to drop avodart after nothing but very very bad shedding and no signs of improvment. My question is, how long will it take to get the stuff outa my system and can I do anything (take anything) to speed this process up somewhat?

I've been told that its half life is 6 weeks, but whats a half life?

Cheers,

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinning1 said:
Hey guys,

I've decided to drop avodart after nothing but very very bad shedding and no signs of improvment. My question is, how long will it take to get the stuff outa my system and can I do anything (take anything) to speed this process up somewhat?

Cheers,

Half life=the period that a drug is staying in your system and having an impact on it.

You can do nothing. I think Avodart will stay in your system for 2-3 months - maybe more - but it's effect will subside gradually over time.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thinning1 said:
Hey guys,

Cheers,

How long did you take it?

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Social, maybe you can buy his stuff too :hairy:

Thinning1

Reaction score
I took it for about 5 months. I was still taking propecia once daily and was taking avodart .5mg 3 times a week. I've been on propecia for 2 years, minoxidil for about 6 months.

I've just been shedding far to much since taking avo. I understand that people have the initial shed, but for me its too big a risk to take losing this much hair.

I'm going to go back to just the big 3 and thanks to Social Drinkers posts about Dermatch, I'm hoping this ties me over for a while yet.

As I was only taking it 3 times a week and not daily, would that reduce the half life? I know people claim that its 2-3 months, but i did read a study somewhere that said it's only actually about 6 weeks, I just can't find the web page at the moment.

Cheers guys,

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
found this with a google search

"The half-life of dutasteride is approximately 5 weeks at steady state. The average steady-state serum dutasteride concentration was 40 ng/mL following 0.5 mg/day for 1 year. By following daily dosing, dutasteride serum concentrations achieve 65% of steady-state concentration after 1 month and approximately 90% after 3 months. Due to the long half-life of dutasteride, serum concentrations remain detectable (greater than 0.1 ng/mL) for up to 4 to 6 months after discontinuation of treatment."

Thinning1

Reaction score
thanks for that BHD, i appreciate your help. Unfortunatly I'm not sure if I follow.

Does that mean it the majority of it should be outa my system in around 6 weeks?

thanks heaps

oni

Reaction score
If I was you I would not have taken both I tried it and all my hair did was shed nonstop for 4mths that I was on both. If you are not getting the results you need on finasteride try switching to dutasteride 0.5mg once a day and if the price is to high for you on Avodart try switching to a generic I did after 3mths on Avodart and now I am on the 9mths mark on dutasteride, 6mths on generic and very happy with results. :)

Ps If you are happy with finasteride stick to it and keep up the minoxidil and Nizoral.

Thinning1

Reaction score
thanks oni,

So after the 1st four months you droped the finasteride and just stuck with avo?? Did it take long to gain what you had lost?

I dunno. I'm keen to keep trying, but I've just shed a heap, i mean its really really noticably and I just can't justify the risks. I'm going to do as you suggested and just keep using the finasteride and minoxidil.

Thanks for your help.

swjmdonwon

Reaction score
just wanted to let you know I had a really bad experience with Avodart. Severe rashes that led to bleeding. After stopping the medication, it subsided within a couple week. But I do have a dark patch now where the rash was. That has NEVER happened to me befoore I took the medication. I actually got a similar rash the first week of the med, but that went away in like a week or so. The bad rash came about a month and a half into taking hte medication...I would be catious....

oni

Reaction score
Thinning1 I was on Avodart for three months before I switched to finasteride and a generic Avodart together which I kept up with for 4 mths before keeping to just generic Avodart so at 9 mths I have been on dutasteride on it's own for 2 mths. I would say after the first month of giving up finasteride my hair settled down and my girlfriend started to see the pores on my scalp darken and after another month my hair looks alot better. I do keep my hair quite short which helps as my new hair growth does not have to grow very long to be noticed. I don't know if taking finasteride and dutasteride together is too powerful which cause these huge extended sheds or maybe these drugs just don't mix well but I would liked to have had the guts to keep at it for a year to see how my hair would have turned out but one third of a year was to much for me with all that shedding but on a plus point I never really got any real side effects just a bit of rage at mth 2 on Avodart :) I hope my story helps.

Thinning1

Reaction score
thanks mate, yeah, i didn't have the guts to keep going - not after what I was seeing on the brush, in the sink, in the pillow...etc..etc..