Thyroid Hormones Directly Alter Human Hair Follicle Function

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
Thyroid Hormones Directly Alter Human Hair Follicle Functions: Anagen Prolongation and Stimulation of Both Hair Matrix Keratinocyte Proliferation and Hair Pigmentation

Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, doi:10.1210/jc.2008-0283
The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism Vol. 93, No. 11 4381-438

Nina van Beek1, Eniko Bodó1, Arno Kromminga, Erzsébet Gáspár, Katja Meyer, Michal A. Zmijewski, Andrzej Slominski, Björn E. Wenzel and Ralf Paus

Department of Dermatology (N.v.B., E.B., E.G., K.M., R.P.) and Cell and Immunobiological Laboratory (B.E.W.), Department of Medicine I, University of Lübeck, D-23538 Lübeck, Germany; Institute for Immunology, Clinical Pathology, and Molecular Medicine (A.K.), D-22339 Hamburg, Germany; Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine and Center for Cancer Research (M.A.Z., A.S.), University of Tennessee, Memphis, Tennessee 38163; Agricultural and Molecular Research Institute (E.B.), College of Nyíregyháza, H-4400 Nyíregyháza, Hungary; and School of Translational Medicine (R.P.), University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PL, United Kingdom

Address all correspondence and requests for reprints to: Ralf Paus, M.D., Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Schleswig-Holstein, University of Lübeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, D-23538 Lübeck, Germany. E-mail: ralf.paus_AT_uk-sh.de.

Context: Both insufficient and excess levels of thyroid hormones (T3 and T4) can result in altered hair/skin structure and function (e.g. effluvium). However, it is still unclear whether T3 and T4 exert any direct effects on human hair follicles (HFs), and if so, how exactly human HFs respond to T3/T4 stimulation.

Objective: Our objective was to asses the impact of T3/T4 on human HF in vitro.

Methods: Human anagen HFs were isolated from skin obtained from females undergoing facelift surgery. HFs from euthyroid females between 40 and 69 yr (average, 56 yr) were cultured and treated with T3/T4.

Results: Studying microdissected, organ-cultured normal human scalp HFs, we show here that T4 up-regulates the proliferation of hair matrix keratinocytes, whereas their apoptosis is down-regulated by T3 and T4. T4 also prolongs the duration of the hair growth phase (anagen) in vitro, possibly due to the down-regulation of TGF-?2, the key anagen-inhibitory growth factor. Because we show here that human HFs transcribe deiodinase genes (D2 and D3), they may be capable of converting T4 to T3. Intrafollicular immunoreactivity for the recognized thyroid hormone-responsive keratins cytokeratin (CK) 6 and CK14 is significantly modulated by T3 and T4 (CK6 is enhanced, CK14 down-regulated). Both T3 and T4 also significantly stimulate intrafollicular melanin synthesis.

Conclusions: Thus, we present the first evidence that human HFs are direct targets of thyroid hormones and demonstrate that T3 and/or T4 modulate multiple hair biology parameters, ranging from HF cycling to pigmentation.

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/conten ... 93/11/4381

Sorue

Reaction score
What da heck. Can't say i'm too pleased to hear that. I had pretty bad hyperthyroid issues which 'coincidentally' lead to my hair all being reaaally thin despite not having any bald spot. I only find out when i went to a dermatologist for my thinning hair and after the blood test results she had me go on meds. Now i'm left wondering if that kick-started my male pattern baldness process and had it go into overdrive :shakehead:

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism = hairloss?? WTF..

Thyroid Self Test
There is a self test based on body temperature, developed by Dr. Broda Barnes, M.D., using an ordinary thermometer. Immediately upon awakening in the morning, while still in bed, place the thermometer under your armpit for 10 minutes. A normal temperature range would be between 97.8 to 98.2 degrees. Anything less than 97.8 indicates low thyroid, or hypothyroidism. Anything above 98.2 could indicate hyperthyroidism, or over-active thyroid. (Of course, we are not recommending that this test replace a doctor's advice.)

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Would being in bed not alter the results? Do you know how or why this works?