Thoughts on finasteride and min? To prevent further loss.

hair4meTomorrow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So I believe I will just continue to lose hair and will ultimately perhaps not be good enough to wear.

I've been taking for for maybe 18 months and I am somewhat sure it's helped, but I'm considering adding minoxidil in to just my temples, sides and nape. Heck I may even just not wear for a year and see how it works all over.

Does anyone do the same? Does anyone have any experience with this?

mroizo

My Regimen
Reaction score
Took finasteride for over 10 years and minoxidil for about 5 after I started finasteride. The drugs work ok but I eventually had too many side effects and too little benefit over time. My frontal hair loss continued slowly and minoxidil is bad for the skin, i.e. it depletes collagen. When I quit finasteride, it took me more than two years to feel the side effects subside. My sides and temples are still full and I found that supplements (vitamins, minerals) help with their growth too. If they get too thin, I'll just go for an undercut hairstyle.

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on both for about 10 years, its been great, it's grew some hair and slowed down my hair loss meaning i still only have to use a really small hairline piece.

Robrover

My Regimen
Reaction score
Or you could just keep on increasing the size of your piece and eventually go full cap. With these you can control everything - colour, density, style, grey (or not), amount of recession, length. No blending, no colour mismatches, no nasty side effects.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
Or you could just keep on increasing the size of your piece and eventually go full cap. With these you can control everything - colour, density, style, grey (or not), amount of recession, length. No blending, no colour mismatches, no nasty side effects.
I think a full cap is a whole world of other problems. You think it's hard controlling a small section of hairline lift..... Try worrying about an entire hairline... full temporal areas.... entire side burn areas and full nape..... sides and bottom..
Personally, I'd toss in the towel before that......

hair4meTomorrow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I did a lot of research in full caps at one point and it does seem problematic.

Think of how your topper just sits on your scalp. There's no movement where it sits. But now imagine attaching to your nape too. Every time you move your head, it pulls where its attached at the nape.

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think a full cap is a whole world of other problems. You think it's hard controlling a small section of hairline lift..... Try worrying about an entire hairline... full temporal areas.... entire side burn areas and full nape..... sides and bottom..
Personally, I'd toss in the towel before that......
A wig secured with hair system tape on the top, would be better solution than a full cap.
For those with no donor hair or extremely thinned out donor hair who are unsuitable for a normal hair system.

Normally a hair system blends in with your side and back donor hair.

Robrover

My Regimen
Reaction score
No movement at my nape. But I've been doing this for a very long time and have learnt all the tricks. Personally I would never go back to a topper.

hair4meTomorrow

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd be very interested in seeing pictures!

On the nwl and toplace forums there seems to have been a period of full caps being very common, but we don't really have active posters anymore for these