Thoughts on Astaxanthin?

dehoha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I came across this supplement while I was researching on eczema and pityriasis rosea.
Astaxanthin is tauted as a "miracle" antioxidant that fights free radicals and INHIBITS production of 5-a reductase.
Some websites mention that at small dosage, astaxanthin can lower DHT while increasing T level and at high dosage, it can even lower estradiol level.

Of course, there are many other supplements that inhibits 5-a production such as beta sitosterol and saw palmetto, but they aren't necessarily beneficial for hair.
Here are the sources you can read about this supplement.

http://astaxanthin.wellwise.org/astaxanthin-benefits/astaxanthin-for-men
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/astaxanthin

There are more websites that mention same effect on the body, but they also sell supplements simultaneously, which is pretty fishy.
Has anybody tried this thing? What are your thoughts on this?

beholder

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks interesting but I will research this a bit more. Claims of it being "the strongest" antioxidant actually tell me someone is trying to oversell this.

chipsy

Reaction score
I'm currently taking this once a day for the last two months getting great results but am taking it as part of a combination of suppl plus minoxidil. So can't say exclusively it helps, but it ain't hurting!

beholder

Established Member
Reaction score
well, let's be skeptical for a moment: supplements pretty much never hurt. We need real studies on this one instead of just marketing claims. Check here, http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=160132

As for "strongest" antioxidant.. I was thinking. Antioxidant effects of most antioxidants are dose-dependent which means that the more stuff is there, the stronger it is. So if you really want strong antioxidant action, just overdose on ascorbic acid (vitamin C). It's cheap and available in bulk, if you really look for it. I have a kilo of this stuff in my fridge right now.

Also, don't be too hung up on antioxidation. Minoxidil, which pretty much everyone uses here, is a free radical NO donor. Nitrous oxide (NO) molecule reacts in body with superoxide to form even more dangerous peroxynitrite. And still minoxidil and other vasodilating NO-donors induce hair growth.

dehoha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks interesting but I will research this a bit more. Claims of it being "the strongest" antioxidant actually tell me someone is trying to oversell this.
I definitely had the same thought. I also read somewhere that too much antioxidants can actually hurt. Granted most of us on this forum are pretty young (10's, 20's, early 30's), antioxidant shouldn't have much effect on our bodies.

One question I have had for a long time is if increase in testosterone will be good for male pattern baldness sufferers. I never see a clear-cut answer on this topic. Some say higher T -> higher DHT conversion -> more hair loss. Others say higher free T -> lower DHT (think of it as free T + DHT ~ constant) -> less hair loss. Even though my opinion is it's best not to mess with your hormone level without physician's advice, I am still curious about this topic. If astaxanthin helps raise T level (not sure free or total), it will most likely have some impact on hair loss. Would that impact be positive or negative is left to be an open-ended question.

jandrsn27

Reaction score
I was using a regimen of minoxidil, keto shampoo daily, and an omega 3/astaxanthin supplement. Astaxanthin total mg equaled roughly 12mg daily. The results were amazing, within 3 months I was on a path to a norwood 2 from a 3-4. Unfortunately I couldn't tolerate minoxidil at all. The sides were mild to moderate, and no they were not imagined. My face swelled slightly, my eyes turned dark, and face had aged drastically in that time period. I had to discontinue use unfortunately. I don't have any regimen at the moment, just due to the fact that I am still scared off all chemical interventions. Still taking the supplements and hairloss has stabilized, with thicker hairs, but not the regrowth I got on minoxidil/keto.