Thought about young hair transplant patients

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Having just read a post by someone saying how a transplant in someone in their 20's by a Dr. such as Armani could "come back to haunt them" later in life I've been having a few thoughts.

1) what is the difference really between being bald on top and bald on top, with a hairline? surely the more hair you have, the better?

2) hairlines, define the face. Jsut look at someone like Zidane who has a hairline but is balding behind. I'd take a strong hairline over a weak crown anyday.

3) personally I'd like to really live my life day to day and make the most of things whilst I can because who knows what is lurking around the corner. Why not go for something sooner if it'll improve your life rather than conservatively waiting til mid 30s.

4) some of these ARmani patients get such good coverage that even when the other hair dissapears they're still going to have great heads of hair!

What are people's views on all this.

soccerguy11

Reaction score
this has been argued several times on this forum and others. an argument against young hair transplants is that when you lose hair behing the hairline, it probably wont look as natural as Zidane, there will be a clump of thick donor hair at a linear hairline instead of slow thinning like his.

also you might not be able to shave down like zidane does because you will have a zipper looking scar going across the back of your head.

that being said, I'm young and I still am looking into hair transplants, so let's hope technology keeps improving so things will get better as the years go on.

Full Head of Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
JDW, I agree.

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JDW said:
Having just read a post by someone saying how a transplant in someone in their 20's by a Dr. such as Armani could "come back to haunt them" later in life I've been having a few thoughts.

1) what is the difference really between being bald on top and bald on top, with a hairline? surely the more hair you have, the better?

2) hairlines, define the face. Jsut look at someone like Zidane who has a hairline but is balding behind. I'd take a strong hairline over a weak crown anyday.

3) personally I'd like to really live my life day to day and make the most of things whilst I can because who knows what is lurking around the corner. Why not go for something sooner if it'll improve your life rather than conservatively waiting til mid 30s.

4) some of these ARmani patients get such good coverage that even when the other hair dissapears they're still going to have great heads of hair!

What are people's views on all this.

I had bad hair transplant when I was about 20. Though it's been partially corrected, I'm screwed for the rest of my life. I don't feel like I can ever have a relationship because I have to hide it now. It can be pretty obvious when I wake up in the AM. I can't cut my hair short, ever. The scarring. Say if I get cancer and need chemo? All the ridging and scarring will be there for everyone to see, and I'll have to go to work looking like that..

But had I not done it, I would have been a balding 20 year old. I would probably have never gotten laid. I don't know. I'm just praying propecia keeps my remaining hair and that they invent something better in the future.

Just figures I had to go to a butcher.

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
soccerguy11 said:
that sucks recboi, who did you get butchered by?

This guy named John Kiely in Rockville, MD. he used punch graft (plug) techniques. I went to MHR to have it hidden, they used up the rest of my donor area but made no improvement in appearance at all. I guess maybe didn't take. I then back in 2001-2002 started to see Dr. Bernstein in Fort Lee, NJ and he did three graft excisions over a year or so period, put me on propecia, and it looks much better than it used to, but you can still sorta tell, though I've had no comments since it's been done, so I think I could for now passs off as just looking like I have a receeding hairline. The back is still horribly scarred though. Big strip scar, and all the open punch graft scars. I wish my hair were straight. My hair looks terrible long, and if it's short, you can see the scars. I really hope I can do something one day with BHT or hair mulitiplication. I just don't want to lose my youth to this. I already lost out on my entire 20s hiding under a hat because I had bad hair transplant. At least I finally god it partially fixed..

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
puts stuff into perspective. I'm so sorry for you man...
The next few years could change your life forever with everythign that is hopefully coming to the table so to speak.

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
JDW said:
puts stuff into perspective. I'm so sorry for you man...
The next few years could change your life forever with everythign that is hopefully coming to the table so to speak.

I hate for my life to be an example of not what to do, but seriously, if you get hair transplant, make sure it's done by someone who is REALLY good. I completely lost out on my entire 20s, what's supposed to be the best years of your life, because I had bad hair transplant. I didn't even really have my first girlfriend until I was about 28 after I had my graft excisions done........

s.a.f

Reaction score
You sound a lot like me. :( You cant get that time back but you can hope that the future is better and if it is you will appreciate it more than the next guy.

hair23

Reaction score
LINK TO OLD ZIDANE TOPIC

Hey everyone,

I started this thread with a similar topic about 6 months ago, and Ive posted it here:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?t=27215&highlight=

Seriously, I'm thinking about taking the plunge based on the fact that being a Zidane is an ABSOLUTE WORST CASE SCENARIO (given a good surgery), which may not even materialize given new drugs and new procedures that will be coming out. Please take a look at my thread again and tell me what you think.

As for the person who said you can't shave down due to the scar, what if FUE was done then?

s.a.f

Reaction score
My advice wait until you are atleast NW3 and only then if you have stabilised/halted the loss with meds etc.
But there are so many guys on here who are early 20's nw1.5 talking about getting a hairline hair transplant :roll:

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The thing is would you prefer 5 years with perfect hair, living your life to the max & carefree or the rest of your life feeling self concious, insecure and depressed?

Ivan007

Reaction score
I agree with JDW, and im going for a FUE hair transplant To Brussels next year (got to earn money first :) ).
Im a 1.5 Norwood and 20 years old and know i will need about 600-800 grafts.
I dont care how will my hair look in the future, but i KNOW i wont regret it. And besides the Doctor that i want to make my hair transplant is one of the best.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Surgery aged 20 at nw1.5 (ridicoulus) any ethical surgeon would'nt touch you ! :roll:

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Ivan007 said:
I agree with JDW, and im going for a FUE hair transplant To Brussels next year (got to earn money first :) ).
I dont care how will my hair look in the future, but i KNOW i wont regret it. And besides the Doctor that i want to make my hair transplant is one of the best.

Absolutely crazy.

G

hairwegoagain said:
Ivan007 said:

Absolutely crazy.

Is it any crazier than getting 3 transplants before the age of 27 like collegechemistrystudent did, with over 4000 grafts? This guy is only getting 600-800.

Ivan007

Reaction score
whoah there people, didnt expect that sorta reply.
I think you guys are a bit too sensitive about having a hair transplant at this age :/
Dont get me wrong but i have read some threads here and people here are really a bunch of cowards. People here are even scared of taking finasteride at low doses, lol i take 2.5 mg proscar daily and NO sides.
I can say that people who like me are not afraid and know the possible consequences should go. I only will do FUE and i i must then i will go for a nother transplant and another and... etc. until i dont have any donor left.
This should buy me enough time untill some better drugs are created or HM will come out. If not then ill go for a hair system.

Ivan007

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Surgery aged 20 at nw1.5 (ridicoulus) any ethical surgeon would'nt touch you ! :roll:

Ethical dosent mean good.
And you people are quite funny by saying that ethical doctors wont do a hair transplant...lol like its a honor and a priviledge to be a hair transplant patient. I have the money so he will have to do a hair transplant.In Europe we have something that is called consumer rights.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:

I echo that sentiment! Wait until the hair progresses past the hair transplant'd hair if it isnt stabilized and he'll be chasing his male pattern baldness it for yrs!

I know for a fact Dr Mwamba in Brussels wont even touch this guy. He is one of the most ethically minded surgeons out there as well as the most up and coming. He designed my hairline last summer at Dr Cole's clinic.