Those That Have Switch From Topical Min To Oral.

DesertFoxx

My Regimen
Reaction score
What has your experience been like?

I was taking topical finasteride/min from October-april last month but I decided to ditch it a few weeks ago for oral minoxidil. I've been experiencing that famous minoxidil she everyone mentions but I don't have the swollen eyes that topical gave me anymore.

taking 2.5mg oral min, half in the morning and the other half at night. I've also been taking dutasteride since December, was on finasteride for a while before that. I hardly lost any hairs since I've been on dutasteride but I started to notice more hair shedding for the first time around March/April.

What has your experience taking finasteride/oral min or dutasteride/oral min been like?
I take dutasteride every other day and oral min everyday.

Thanks fellas

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was using 10mg oral minoxidil along with topical+dermarolling for roughly a year, i stopped using the topical quite a while back now after the foam product i used was discontinued and noticed no difference to my hair tbh, oral min was doing most of the heavy lifting and the topical wasn't really needed, give it 12 months. I think results from oral might take a bit longer to see than topical.

DesertFoxx

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you still on oral min?
It's my first time dealing with noticeable minoxidil sheds, pretty scary stuff! I'm out of options at this point, going to stick with taking dutasteride every other day and oral min.

FilthyFrancis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I did switch from topical to oral, with no noticeable shedding but no noticable gain either.

Were you a good topical min responder? It seems the response rate for oral is much greater than for topical. It could be you are just experiencing the effects of minoxidil (shedding at first, then noticeable regrowth).

Don't worry. Stick to it.

DesertFoxx

My Regimen
Reaction score
Topical finasteride/min made my face and eyes swollen. I did see some regrowth but it was too much of a hassle and overpriced to continue.

I've been on Oral minoxidil 2.5mg for a month. I'm definitely shedding a lot at the moment, its a bit scary since during the months I was on topical I never experienced that famous shed. So far what I like about oral min is that it doesn't mess with my face like topical did.

How's your experience with oral min been like so far?

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
People usually get worse sides from oral min than from topical min. It is very strange that your sides would be worse from using it topically. Part of the reason people use it topically is that less goes systemic than from using it orally, and as a result, side-effects are milder.

DesertFoxx

My Regimen
Reaction score
I might be because of the dose I'm taking, I'm only taking 2.5mg a day. Topical finasteride/min just once at night gives me the facial side effects.

dm900

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been on dutasteride 0.5 mg every day for 5 years now. As i've stated before i literally dont shed any hair. Not even a normal amount of shedding. I've let my shower "accumulate" hair for a month to just see and still nothing. Doesn't actually seem normal. That being said, literally nothing has worked at regrowing the minor diffusing in the front. Ive been on topical minoxidil solution twice daily for like 22 weeks and have seen literally nothing, no shed or anything noteworthy. Even started putting it on my face to see if it has any growth whatsoever on hair that imo response rapidly and easily to minoxidil, still nothing. Facial hair is the same. Maybe dutasteride is interfering with that too so i guess ill never know. I'm going to give topical minoxidil the 12 month full try and if its true im the total non responder like it appears i am, ill try low dose oral.

So you said you actually started shedding after switching? No shed on topical? I've always thought that a shed meant it was doing SOMETHING and for me i was hoping for one. Even when i stopped taking it after a 4 month trial a few years ago there was no shed.

TLDR minoxidil has had completely no response for me so far, curious about your switch.

DesertFoxx

My Regimen
Reaction score
Been on dutasteride 0.5 mg every day for 5 years now. As i've stated before i literally dont shed any hair. Not even a normal amount of shedding. I've let my shower "accumulate" hair for a month to just see and still nothing. Doesn't actually seem normal. That being said, literally nothing has worked at regrowing the minor diffusing in the front. Ive been on topical minoxidil solution twice daily for like 22 weeks and have seen literally nothing, no shed or anything noteworthy. Even started putting it on my face to see if it has any growth whatsoever on hair that imo response rapidly and easily to minoxidil, still nothing. Facial hair is the same. Maybe dutasteride is interfering with that too so i guess ill never know. I'm going to give topical minoxidil the 12 month full try and if its true im the total non responder like it appears i am, ill try low dose oral.

So you said you actually started shedding after switching? No shed on topical? I've always thought that a shed meant it was doing SOMETHING and for me i was hoping for one. Even when i stopped taking it after a 4 month trial a few years ago there was no shed.

TLDR minoxidil has had completely no response for me so far, curious about your switch.
I'm also a diffused thinner. The shed slowly started coming before switching but it wasn't anything too wild. I've been shedding a lot lately its a bit scary since dutasteride every other day made me hardly lose any hairs. I know the shed is normal but its my first time experiencing it. I don't plan on going back to topical finasteride/min. If this doesn't give me anything in a few months idk what else to try.