Those More Experienced, How Do I Keep It Together Whilst Balding?

begonethotdenity

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new here. I'm 21M and have been on finasteride for 2.5 years and minoxidil for 1.5 years. I thought I was maintaining/making progress but in the last month I seem to have to lost my gains and started to thin out towards the middle of my hairline and weirdly enough the sides of my head as opposed to just the temples which had always been my issue. As a response I've ordered some dutasteride and will see what effect that is going to have and have just begun incorperating dermarolling.

Without sounding big headed, I'm a good looking guy and a lot of my self-worth is based on me being a good looking guy and being successful with women etc. With my hair seemingly on the way out at such a young age I find myself with a massive lack of confidence. I dont want to go out, I just want to wear hats when I am out. I want to check my hair every five minutes. I'll be studying and all I can think about is "i wonder if my hairline is showing' or 'I wonder if my hair is thin enough that this lighting is going straight through it?". Wind is my worst enemy. I think I'm pretty up to date on what I can do for my hair in terms of treatments for keeping it, but mentally this is not a great place to be as I feel like a wreck having this on my mind the whole time. Someone who's been in my position or maybe someone a little older or further down the road who feels more mentally stable regarding their hair loss, how did you get there? I'd love to hear it. :)

Here are some pics of me and my hair from around 4 months ago for context, its got thinner on one side from this point. https://imgur.com/a/ZIBbDva

justinbieberscombover

My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay I'm not a professional but AFAIK losing some density on the sides isn't a big deal and might not really mean you're balding.

Anyway, you look great in the last pic. Girls def won't even register you as balding at this stage.

I'm almost 7 years older than you and honestly my confidence was shattered at one point due to hair loss, but I bounced back big time with two FUE sessions (I never took any meds to halt hair loss tho). My situation was much much worse than yours, NW4-5 with crown balding and certainly at the point where I was forced to buzz my head. Now I rock the same trendy hairstyle that every Hollywood star has.

So basically - if I were you I'd just tell myself that I look good right now and keep in mind that sometime in the future I could get a transplant.

I'd also avoid taking tons of selfies from different angles and lightings bc that sh*t is stressful and drives a man insane.

Lastly you gotta stay strong mentally bc the Internet is full of sh*t (this forum included).

Good luck dude.

Hairicane

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In that last pic you can see your hair grows, so you should be fine for a while.
My hairline us similar to yours but I can only get two inches of growth on the front and top of my head, but it'll grow forever on the sides.

Matt3535

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First of all, you look great. I don't see any need for you to worry about getting girls any time soon.

Having said that, your hair is indeed starting to go. You caught it early and if it keeps like this, no one will consider you balding. You already seem to have your sh*t together and you are also doing everything you can. Remember that and let it give you some peace of mind. You're already in control - and there are even more solutions.

I agree with @justinbieberscombover here. Even if it gets worse despite medication you can still get a transplant. You got amazing density left and if the temples are your only problem, I think you shoulder consider yourself lucky. Your hairstyle is amazing and only really achievable if you have enough hair left which alone should make you feel normal. It makes you look young, as it should.

Most of all though, I think you should enjoy where you are right now. I'm ten years older than you and while I wouldn't want to be that young, inexperienced or poor again, there is an argument to be made for youth. You're young only once, same goes for your peers. If you're successful now, crush it. And remember: Everyone ages. The girls you're with right now, the other guys you're competing with. They'll all age. And as you've said, you're a good looking guy. You're only gonna fall down so far.