This guy has a great toupee

Would you consider a toupee an option?

• Total voters

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
MB, there is an adhesive dryer/sealer you can buy at sallies for $5. If you spray it on tape or any other sticky glue, it will not be sticky anymore, in 1/2 second. The trick is not spraying too much, so you don't smell like it. It also dulls the shine. If you stretch ST30 tape and let it recoil before putting it on, that gets rid of the shine too. Only problem is thickness. Some guys use a blow dryer to get it softer, then use the tape backing to press it flatter. The only problem i see with that is if you press it and it goes too far forwards, it will be hard to clean up.

I'll definitely start with basebond, since I think it will be much easier to slide into place before it sets. But I bought ST30 tape so I can swim or go camping for a week. Stubble will not move it at all. The bond never ends. It just gets stronger, which can be bad if you wait more than a few weeks and it gets stuck to your lace.

This is what I read on toplace forums.

You spray it on so it won't be sticky anymore?
That makes no sense....
just leave the tape off and it won't be sticky!
Tape is supposed to be sticky.

Heat up the tape with the hairdryer and press it flatter with the backing on?
Your pressing the tape down into the lace and forcing it to the otherside and into the hair.
Have fun cleaning it later.

Any Bonding agent will hold as long or longer than a Tape, even swimming.
The bond never ends? It just gets stronger? OH REALLY!
It may last forever on the unit, but certainly not on the head!
It just gets gooyier and gooyier.

One of the problems with any attachment is the "too the head part"
The head is constantly excreting oils and shedding skin layers.
Aproximatly every 23 days or so we shed our total outer layer of skin cells.

The new line of extended tapes are great, Duraflex, Proflex, T30, and many other names.
But they are not magic... they are just another tool in our box of attachment methods and solutions.

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually the glue drier does make sense, it`d be good for erasing the tackiness at the very front so it dont collect dirt and dust and form a dirty dark line. Guys with thin density in front and hairstyles with the hair back would love a good front sealer.

I currently use something for that but it doesnt always work so great.

When he speaks of pressing the tape down, he`s talking about the guys who apply tape to the scalp first, then apply the hair.

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
MichiganBaldy said:
When he speaks of pressing the tape down, he`s talking about the guys who apply tape to the scalp first, then apply the hair.

Alright! that makes more sense.
Being I'm always apply the unit to someone else and standing above them I don't use that method. But I can see where it would work well at home.... I like it........

(OFF Topic)
I love the customer who comes in with a month or TWO of tape, glue and goo build-up, hairs folded under between the layers of tape and adhesive, matted and fading, snarls that have never been combed thru. And normaly grumbles about the $45 or so they get charged for coloring conditioning and generaly making them look half way passable.

Had a dude the other day with a Straw blonde unit and dark ash brown sides and back. He thought the color was OK and wanted to know how much for the color before he agreed. I include the color charge in all service appointments so I don't need to have them refuse color, thinking they will save a couple bucks.

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
Toup your service charge which includes coloring plus the fact that you`ll do work on lace is more than fair in the hair replacement environment.
People always ask about places to go, since not everyone wants to order hair and do it themselves.
I tell them theres alot of places out there but a VERY short list of those who do it right and are reasonably priced.
I think you should be on that short list, if you arent already.

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
But if I were on the short list:
I could end up with someone like CCS sitting in my chair!!!
I already have one paranoid schizophrenic living on my back patio and hanging around the shop.

Anyway, I'm here in Seattle if anyone in the area needs me.

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
I already know who you are my friend, and in fact we`ve already talked before, a long time ago maybe 3 years ago.

If you can PM me to verify/update your contact info, seeings it was so long ago and I probably cant find it, you`ll be on that short list right away.

Not that people will be knocking down the door, but they do up up now and then Toup.............

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That is a decent rug, nevertheless.. it is a rug..
I love hair but I'd rather have a horseshoe thanks.

CCS

Reaction score
Re:

SE-freak said:
Cassin said:
[quote="SE-freak":3w1pug23]You mean the "No one will get grafts or toupee coverage on the sides"part? Enlighten me :)

Why wouldn't they?

I have never seen graft implantation on the sides. I never researched hair transplant in depth though.

I guess most of the time it is hard to get enough donor hair to create a dense hairline, no one would waste grafts on the sides, although this is the area that basically betrays a hair transplant on first sight.[/quote:3w1pug23]

i have grafts on the sides. They are thin though. i agree: not temples, you look old.

wesb

Reaction score
CCS said:
MB, there is an adhesive dryer/sealer you can buy at sallies for $5. If you spray it on tape or any other sticky glue, it will not be sticky anymore, in 1/2 second. The trick is not spraying too much, so you don't smell like it. It also dulls the shine. If you stretch ST30 tape and let it recoil before putting it on, that gets rid of the shine too. Only problem is thickness. Some guys use a blow dryer to get it softer, then use the tape backing to press it flatter. The only problem i see with that is if you press it and it goes too far forwards, it will be hard to clean up.

I'll definitely start with basebond, since I think it will be much easier to slide into place before it sets. But I bought ST30 tape so I can swim or go camping for a week. Stubble will not move it at all. The bond never ends. It just gets stronger, which can be bad if you wait more than a few weeks and it gets stuck to your lace.

This is what I read on toplace forums.

I've been wearing for a few years now, and ST30 does not work that well for me. I tried all of the tricks, blow dryer, stretching, etc. Blue lace tape works the best for me so far, though cleanup can be a pain if left on too long.

It is good to read and absorb information, however in this case everyone has different scalp texture & body chemistry, you have to try these things for yourself to see how well they work. You can't bank on something that works for another. If you read posts over a long period of time, you will find that a product that is the cat's meow for one person, stays on for a week or more, easy cleanup, yada yada. Another person, same product, it's coming loose the next day.

wesb

Reaction score
IBM said:
If it is someone with cancer its acceptable for society to wear it but if it is male pattern baldness folk its no acceptable.

And where do you get this information? There is a stigma due to toupee jokes and skits from movies & tv, but this should have little or no bearing on a person who wears a natural looking system. Some guys poke fun at fake breasts on women too, but most of us just admire the view.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Good thread, lots of useful information. Bravo to those of you who choose to wear systems. I believe you are taking control of the situation in the most practical way. For those of us who are truly bald, it is the only solution that makes sense since meds and transplants are a waste of time for us. For all the nay sayers out there, you would probably still be making fun of these people if they choose to go bald so imo, you all deserve to be deceived. If it looks good, who cares. If it gives you confidence, then it is a blessing. Keep on. :punk:

Snip

Reaction score
Very nice. Pretty natural. Looks like the kind of work the service I use does.
Here's a link to something that's always impressed me replacement-wise:

http://www.hairloss-hair-replacement.com/content/view/65/198

I'm from Westchester NY, so this is the company to use if you live around the metropolitan area.
Tried plugs - didn't work. Used other replacements to no avail. Also, Jane, who runs the company, couldn't be sweeter.

daedelus

Reaction score
Re:

Overflow1114 said:
The amount of misinformation about hair systems and toupees in this thread is mindbogglingly staggering. While posts like The Gardeners may have been true about older styles of systems, and while they may still be true about the commercialized ridiculous looking monstrosities put out there by the big chain companies that want to charge you $2,000 a unit, the reputable companies can and do make units that are completely undetectable to even the most trained eye. Yes, it does require some maintenance and discipline on the part of the wearer, but nowhere near the amount purported in this thread. Anyone considering going this route would be doing themselves a HUGE favor to take Michigan Baldy's advice and check out his video. It takes you through everything about wearing systems from design, to styling, to attachment, to where to find great and realistic looking and modern units affordably. And to those saying that his unit is not real, the video proves that not only is it real (he attaches, removes, and even cuts in several of these units), but it really looks as good as those photos... maybe even better.

Hey! Was wondering if you or someone else reading this could provide me with the link to this video. I searched for it but couldn't find it.

thanks

Cassin

Reaction score
Cassin said:
Toupee's have a bad rap, but damn, this isn't bad at all. Even though I have had good success with my treatments, I know one day they may fail me. If they do, I don't think an hair transplant is for me. Seeing this makes a toupee seem like an option for me should it come to Plan B.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jadenkrosis

I think toupee's have a bad image due to guys getting cheap ones that they never maintain. I can normally spot a toupee a mile away but I doubt I would ever spot this one.

my my my...how times change. I would never get a toupee...when the day comes I will go out and buy the nicest pair of clippers I can find and be done with this mess.

Petchsky

Reaction score
Same here. I would not consider a wig at all, but all power to those that do. The ones out today can fool me.

die_hard

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree that they look great but I could never ever ever imagine living life with a wig either. Just couldn't make it work.. It would be such an inconvenience and hard to live by.

emex4

Established Member
Reaction score
my god i know. imagine having a piece of carpet glued to your head 24/7. it would feel so un-natural. you would always be worried about if people can spot it or if its on right. you would have to do so much maintenance. im a lazy guy. id rather be ugly than wear one of those.

emex4

Established Member
Reaction score
sometimes, though, i think about like say getting a good looking wig to wear to the bar one night in a city where i dont know anyone and just seeing if i would do better with girls.