Thin's story - (Diffuse Thinner: Looking for input. Pics)

Thin

Established Member
Reaction score
Well let me know what yall guys think. A few months back I went to Dr. Lee's office hopeing that I would get a consultation from the man himself, but I ended up speaking to his right hand man. He said its male pattern baldness. I think its more than male pattern baldness. Any recommendations/comments good or bad accepted. Speak your mind. No need to beat around the bush. Check below for my regimen.

Its my nextel camera phone. Thats all I have, but my hair problem is definately noticeable. Its worst in person. The hair on top of my head is about an inch right now while my sides are about half inch. Before I was losing my hair with this haircut my scalp was never this visible.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a108/ ... /dos13.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a108/ ... /dos12.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a108/ ... /dos11.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a108/ ... /dos10.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a108/ ... /dos09.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a108/ ... /dos08.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a108/ ... /dos07.jpg

So

Established Member
Reaction score
It probably is male pattern baldness.

I suffer from diffuse as well, basically the same as you, although because i keep my hair 2 to 3 inches it's a little less visible.

I am on month 4 of Propecia, in Australia, I can honestly say that the hair loss has not stopped.

That being said I also seem to think it's something more than male pattern baldness, because in many cases people suffering from traditional male pattern baldness are able to slow and halt their hair loss with Propecia.

The problem you and I share is that we have no idea what else it could be or more importantly what will stop the loss.

Diffuse thinning is probably harder to combat...

WithTheLidOff

Established Member
Reaction score
Honestly...it doesnt look too bad. I doubt anyone thats not balding themselves notices it. Your hairline is still pretty good. I had somehting similar...only a worse hairline and a more pronounced bald spot. The big 3 have helped me out substantially. Also your hair looks like its begging for a thickenin shampoo.

CCS

Reaction score
thick shampoo for thick thin hair. but his hair is not thin, it is thinning.

the first response said he had the same problem and no help.

the second responder said he had a bald spot and temple recession and did get help from the big 3.

the big three are just a good starting point in case it is male pattern baldness, but i'm not sure it is. he also said his eyebrows fell out once.

I've seen this on other guys, and it is noticeable. i've heard guys talk about other guys, saying "if an ant crawled around on his scalp, you could see it."

this needs to be treated, but it needs research. I could google it myself again, but you should ask Bryan or the women on this site if they know what it is. If they don't know, and 2 hours of google searching does not help you, then tell me and I will find it for you.

search with the key words totalis, aurta, hair loss, and thinning.

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
I doubt it's anything more than male pattern baldness, it's just diffuse thinning. And from what I've read so far, diffuse thinners have a harder time fighting hair loss with the current products than guys with the classic male pattern baldness. So just b/c the Big 3 isn't working for you, doesn't mean your situation is more than just male pattern baldness.

Have you ever shaved your head with a zero or one guard? For balding men, diffuse thinners are the best at pulling this look off because they still have their hairline intact and the shaved head lessens the look of thinning hair. It's almost as if they have no signs of male pattern baldness at all.

ANDREW_J_I

Experienced Member
Reaction score
is it true that diffuse thinners have a harder time?

thing is, if u are completely bald at ur bald spot or temples it is MUCH harder to get hair growing again, surely?

also, i think mate, u have very thin hair anyway by the looks of it, on ur sides too. but i wud say it is male pattern baldness. just give these treatments some time, and wait for HM to come out :).

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi Thin,

College might have a point. Diffuse thinning is very deceptive and can be a result of many different things - diet and stress being the two most common (as well as male pattern baldness). You hair now is pretty similar to the way mine was about 2 years ago - it only takes one more prolonged shed and you're screwed, so you need to check out all the possibilities now. I ignored my thinning, had the shed and now I'm desperately trying to recover what I lost. You're on the big 3 so that's fine - I wish I had been that wise - have you tried having your thyroid tested?

I would add a zinc and a vit B6 supplement to the regimen - just a suggestion. I think they have helped me a little.

Good luck with it.

Thin

Established Member
Reaction score
WithTheLidOff said:
Honestly...it doesnt look too bad. I doubt anyone thats not balding themselves notices it. Your hairline is still pretty good. I had somehting similar...only a worse hairline and a more pronounced bald spot. The big 3 have helped me out substantially. Also your hair looks like its begging for a thickenin shampoo.

Yeah, I actually was using thicker fuller hair shampoo until i ran out and now I use vive thickening shampoo. Used both for about 3 months ago and still using.

Thin

Established Member
Reaction score
tchehov said:
Hi Thin,

College might have a point. Diffuse thinning is very deceptive and can be a result of many different things - diet and stress being the two most common (as well as male pattern baldness). You hair now is pretty similar to the way mine was about 2 years ago - it only takes one more prolonged shed and you're screwed, so you need to check out all the possibilities now. I ignored my thinning, had the shed and now I'm desperately trying to recover what I lost. You're on the big 3 so that's fine - I wish I had been that wise - have you tried having your thyroid tested?

I would add a zinc and a vit B6 supplement to the regimen - just a suggestion. I think they have helped me a little.

Good luck with it.

tchehov,

I can see the lil peach fuzz that I have left, which is how I can tell where my hairline use to be. Your right, one more shed and these lil suckers are gone. I haven't gotten an real thyroid test. I asked a doctor that i went to to see if he could see if i would need a thyroid test. All he did was placed his hand in front of my neck right below my cheeks and said I my thyroid system is okay. I read that somewhere that doctors normally do that to check to for signs of thyroid problems. I'll go ahead and add zinc and vit b6 since its affordable until i can get a lil more $

CCS

Reaction score
you can pull off the shaved look, but i don't think it is quite that bad yet. borderline. I really think it is the thyroid, since that would affect all hairs simultaneousy. have you looked at http://www.altbaldspot.com yet? On the left menu bar it has every type of hairloss and links to info.

Thin

Established Member
Reaction score
ANDREW_J_I said:
is it true that diffuse thinners have a harder time?

thing is, if u are completely bald at ur bald spot or temples it is MUCH harder to get hair growing again, surely?

also, i think mate, u have very thin hair anyway by the looks of it, on ur sides too. but i wud say it is male pattern baldness. just give these treatments some time, and wait for HM to come out :).

HM, thats what i'm also hoping will come out soon, andrew. I been on this finasteraide stuff for quite a while now. Might as well keep using it for the next few years. Hopefully this minoxidil is going to do something.

Thin

Established Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
you can pull off the shaved look, but i don't think it is quite that bad yet. borderline. I really think it is the thyroid, since that would affect all hairs simultaneousy. have you looked at http://www.altbaldspot.com yet? On the left menu bar it has every type of hairloss and links to info.

i'm just getting back from the OC right now. I wanted to go ahead and reply to the responses first and then spend some time on http://www.altbaldspot.com. one more response and ill check it out. thanks for the site

Thin

Established Member
Reaction score
kalbo said:
Have you ever shaved your head with a zero or one guard? For balding men, diffuse thinners are the best at pulling this look off because they still have their hairline intact and the shaved head lessens the look of thinning hair. It's almost as if they have no signs of male pattern baldness at all.

I would but for some reason when i was younger something happened to me before i was 16. The first time I shaved my head for fun it was quite shocking to find that I had a bunch of bald spots on my head. Since that time it wouldn't cut it short until now. If my hair was thick as usual you would be able to see those bald spots when my head is shaved. With the haircut I have now the bald spots sort of blend in with all the thinning so it isn't as visible. If I go any farther you can see the bald spots on my head. Sucks.

CCS

Reaction score
i always used to be jelous of the diffuse thinners because they at least have all the hairs, but just thinner, so they can be revived. they do have a lot more surface area to cover, which makes topicals harder. but I have a lot of skin with just the tiniest peach fuzz, and i'm not sure if i can bring it back or if that even is the original hair minaturized or just normal fuzz.

i think I'll use proxiphen and RU and dutasteride and find out.

Thin

Established Member
Reaction score
i always used to be jelous of the diffuse thinners because they at least have all the hairs, but just thinner, so they can be revived. they do have a lot more surface area to cover, which makes topicals harder. but I have a lot of skin with just the tiniest peach fuzz, and i'm not sure if i can bring it back or if that even is the original hair minaturized or just normal fuzz.

i think I'll use proxiphen and RU and dutasteride and find out.

the reviving part for thinners seems impossible. i know what you mean about some of the peach fuzz. I notice that my peach fuzz starts close to the middle of my forehead and back towards my hairline. i think its half original hair minaturized and half normal fuzz in my situation.

Thin

Established Member
Reaction score

The http://www.altbaldspot.com looks like a good site for getting information. Lets see what I can dig up. Thumbs up. Thanks again.

viperfish

Reaction score
I am a diffuse thinner and have been fighting this with very little success over the last 10 years.

Felk

Reaction score
Aplunk1 is a diffuse thinner with results.

Balthazar was a diffuse thinner, one of the latest big success pics using mainly minoxidil (so successful that i questioned his pictures at the time, but he posted more pics, and ppl told me i was being too suspicious) He regrew at least 3/4 of his hair.

Also that english fellow, the "need help posting pics, well worth seeing" one. He was thinning all over his head and he regrew heaps of hair as well.

Rockinreel's hair is thinning on top, though perhaps its crown thinning and a bit of recession. Anyway he has been very successful, he says a lot of his hair are thicker than when he was 18, and he's 39 now.

TheMoose is a diffuse thinner i believe, and i tihnk he's maintaining on propecia, but i could be mixed up.

Thin

Established Member
Reaction score
Felk said:
Aplunk1 is a diffuse thinner with results.

Balthazar was a diffuse thinner, one of the latest big success pics using mainly minoxidil (so successful that i questioned his pictures at the time, but he posted more pics, and ppl told me i was being too suspicious) He regrew at least 3/4 of his hair.

Also that english fellow, the "need help posting pics, well worth seeing" one. He was thinning all over his head and he regrew heaps of hair as well.

Rockinreel's hair is thinning on top, though perhaps its crown thinning and a bit of recession. Anyway he has been very successful, he says a lot of his hair are thicker than when he was 18, and he's 39 now.

TheMoose is a diffuse thinner i believe, and i tihnk he's maintaining on propecia, but i could be mixed up.

Thats good to hear that there are people with results. If thats the case I obviously stumbled on only the people with negative results.