Thinning? Please Help!

t.smith0987

Reaction score
I've had a full head of hair for so long the thought of balding is one of the scariest things I can think of; especially at 25. I want to be proactive but I don't want to overreact and throw chemicals at my hair if I don't have to.

I've always been able to see my scalp because I use styling gel but it's more noticeable in the crown. I thought it was just because of how I combed my hair as I went against the cowlick and it always kind of hung over itself as oppose to laying flat in the direction I combed it (the pictures might make sense of that). I guess giving an appearance of a comb over.

I cut my cowlick a little short in the last haircut and I'm wondering if I've exposed the thinning. I attached pictures, they're just normal everyday with styling gel. Some with direct lighting others without; and one close up. Please let me know what you think. Any help is appreciated.

I apologize if I'm overreacting but it's just one of those things you can't ignore if you have any doubts. Thanks again.
photo 1.jpgphoto 3.JPGphoto 4.jpgphoto 5.JPGphoto 2.JPG

Nightcall

Reaction score
might be some thinning going on there but it´s hard to say. Please post a photo of your hairline (with your hair pulled back)

t.smith0987

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Here is my hairline. It's always been a 'deep v' shape and I comb it back everyday. I've never noticed any receding or thinning. It part why I told myself I was being dramatic, but then I read of other people thinning at the crown first. Thanks again.
photo 1 (2).JPGphoto 2 (2).JPGphoto 3 (2).JPG

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
your fine. I think you just have fine/thin hair.
Does balding run in the family? If so then try propecia. If not then maybe just Minoxidil.

It looks alright. Then again at 25 Mine was passable and now at 34 its just bad.

Pbot64

Reaction score
In my opinion, you are most definitely showing early signs of balding. Get to a dermatologist for a professional opinion.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm afraid I agree, it looks like you have some moderate thinning around the region of your crown and early temporal recession. Generally if you can see relatively big patches of scalp through your hair at the crown and beyond, it's not a good sign. I'd get on finasteride at a minimum, and maybe consider minoxidil down the road. Maybe it is just the way the grain of your hair grows combined with thinness and hair gel, but best not to take that chance.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd get on finasteride at a minimum, and maybe consider minoxidil down the road.

be careful just throwing around finasteride over minoxidil like that. I would never treat finasteride as just hair asprin anymore after my ordeal with it.

Be very careful with it if you go that road.

badgenetics1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
be careful just throwing around finasteride over minoxidil like that. I would never treat finasteride as just hair asprin anymore after my ordeal with it.

Be very careful with it if you go that road.

The sides for finasteride are more common and scarier, but finasteride will actually treat the cause of male pattern baldness while minoxidil will not. So, I think it's best for someone to see if they can take finasteride without any sides. If no side effects, great - they can keep taking it and they will halt their hair loss or at the very least slow it down dramatically. If side effects do occur, then ditch finasteride and use minoxidil which will at least delay the cosmetic effects of male pattern baldness several years (probably best to also get on a topical anti-androgen as well to provide some follicle protection).

t.smith0987

Reaction score
I appreciate the response guys thanks. I'm going to make an appointment with dermatologist to confirm and see what he recommends. I brought it to friends and coworkers attention and they say I'm crazy but I don't think they look as closely as me. I've been obsessing over my hair now going back and forth telling myself that the crowns thinning and back to I just cut the cowlick too short. I had a glimmer of hope when I wet my hair and combed the cowlick the way it wanted to lay and took some pictures. It didn't look as bad as when I combed back over/against it the way I style my hair normally but I'll post them to see what you think. Maybe it's just denial... Also, is it me, or does the camera and lighting make thinning amplified? Not saying it's isn't there but it doesn't look as visible in same conditions to the naked eye. Makes me feel like when I walk around it looks that noticeable. Thanks again.

photo 1 (3).JPGphoto 2 (3).JPGphoto 3 (3).JPG