Thinning patch on side of my head! Is this male pattern baldness?

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,
I have the typical bald crown and thinning front/top male pattern baldness, but now I've noticed this thinning patch on the side of my head. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I normally have the sides very short but been busy recently and let it grow only to see I have a patch on the side :(

Attachments

• 20210717_142956.jpg
    20210717_142956.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 153

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone?

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bump

joeblack2017

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. Early sign of male pattern baldness. It's normal as you age. It's your blood and your genes.

dudealpha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,
I have the typical bald crown and thinning front/top male pattern baldness, but now I've noticed this thinning patch on the side of my head. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I normally have the sides very short but been busy recently and let it grow only to see I have a patch on the side :(
Three possibilities:
- tellogen effluvium - pretty unlikely since you seem to have it localized in that area
- alopecia areata - could be something like this. Google the symptoms (it's not just about the scalp hair loss afaik), as I am not that knowledgeable in this topic, but it's basically an autoimmune disease that destroys your follicles in random circular patterns around the scalp
- retrograde alopecia (androgenic alopecia on the sides of your head and/or nape) - not much scientific literature on this, but you do seem to have that sort of pattern. Could you check the hair around your nape too?

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Three possibilities:
- tellogen effluvium - pretty unlikely since you seem to have it localized in that area
- alopecia areata - could be something like this. Google the symptoms (it's not just about the scalp hair loss afaik), as I am not that knowledgeable in this topic, but it's basically an autoimmune disease that destroys your follicles in random circular patterns around the scalp
- retrograde alopecia (androgenic alopecia on the sides of your head and/or nape) - not much scientific literature on this, but you do seem to have that sort of pattern. Could you check the hair around your nape too?
What is "nape"?
Sounds like retrograde alopecia - if crown and receding wasn't bad enough ughhhhhh

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think that so-called DUPA is likely to be the same phenomenon as male pattern baldness but for some reason for people with higher fringe, it plays out much more like female pattern baldness in that there is seldom any sort of "bald spot" but instead gaps between productive follicles that tend not to progress past a certain point. This might account for why such hair is often of poorer quality as well as wispy. Perhaps blood flow is crimped to these areas but not completely cut off. Microneedling might help as well as usage of topical meds on the entire scalp and not just on the crown and hairline. I think that "temporary diffuse thinning", male pattern baldness and DUPA are all related in causation and treatment as far as I can tell from looking at pictures and hearing the accounts of others.

ClisOiv

My Regimen
Reaction score
You should ask your relatives. If any of them has something similar, it's genetics.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
nape means the back of your neck
Yes, I can see thinning back of neck as well. I'm seeing some good progress with new regimen around the crown, so this is retrograde alopecia is very annoying. 1 step forward, 2 steps back - uuuuugggggghhhhh

Grim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, I can see thinning back of neck as well. I'm seeing some good progress with new regimen around the crown, so this is retrograde alopecia is very annoying. 1 step forward, 2 steps back - uuuuugggggghhhhh
Usually retrograde does its own thing, its seperate from your hairline and crown. I see nw1 guys with retrograde. The best thing to do is just tackle any hairline and crown loss.