Thinning hair - Finasteride yes or no?

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So after 4 months on minoxidil 5% I don't see any progress....quite the contrary actually, I think it might have gotten worse. As you can see I'm a norwood 6-7 thinner at age 24.

I am thinking about using finasteride/propecia , but I want your opinion first: Do you think it is worth the risk considering how few hair is left? What I'm looking for is probably not a full head of hair but at least something that covers the scalp mostly.

So guys what do you think, is there any hope or should I just let go?

Attachments

• IMG_6136.jpg
    IMG_6136.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 984

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Has your hair issue been properly diagnosed and confirmed by a well qualified and physician. How would you describe your own hair status before you started experiencing problems?

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Has your hair issue been properly diagnosed and confirmed by a well qualified and physician. How would you describe your own hair status before you started experiencing problems?

I visited two doctors and had my blood and hormone levels tested. They couldn't find any anomalies so they qualified it as hereditary hairloss.

Originally I had a very, very thick woolen mane of hair, with a mature hairline...let's call it a norwood 2 which became a norwood 2,5 this year with a bit less recession in the temples than unsual.

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone has thoughts on this?Too late to get on minoxidil?

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
stay on minoxidil and add finasteride 1.25mg daily. minoxidil causes an initial shed and 4 months is close to the lower limit of when people start to see any actual regrowth happen. minoxidil typically doesn't cause regrowth, only slows down hair loss for most people.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
You can always start finasteride. in conjunction with minoxidil.,at a lower dose and gradually raise the dosage over time. This approach has been anecdotally claimed to potentially minimize /prevent adverse sexual side effects. All the best.

Reecegunn90

Reaction score

Keep you head up mate, I hope everything works out for you and I will be checking in to see how you get on

warner8

Established Member
Reaction score
no, i think you can continue to use the minoxidil 5% twice a day, and ADD 1 mg of finasteride generic everyday and see how it works 6 months from now. I think finasteride takes about 6 months min to see results from the finasteride. minoxidil does cause a shed for up to around 4 months after initial use, but then regrowth is suppose to take place after. i would make sure your entire scalp is covered in the minoxidil, and maybe buzz your hair during this shedding phase where your hair doesn't look as nice. also remember to use the minoxidil twice a day too, don't be cheap with it.

you can also use a shampoo like regenepure dr on the scalp 3 times a week for 10-15 min. The ketoconazole in it is supposedly fights DHT in the scalp. Might as well add it to your regimen so you are on the big 3

1. minoxidil
2. finasteride
3. keto shampoo

good luck

testingit

Reaction score
Yes, I've been on it and would say about 6 years in it's hard to tell how successful it's been but I'm pretty sure I'd be a lot balder now without it no matter what. I have had no noticeable side affects in my case.

Dealing with hereditary hairloss is always an uphill battle, but in my opinion, if you don't even try using a DHT blocker/reducer like finasteride or Avodart it's hard to have any fighting chance. minoxidil has been shown to cause thickening/regrowth but any effect will only be temporary for most cases, although works well in combination with finasteride.

[ not a doctor or medical professional, don't take me seriously, this is just my opinion ]