Thinning hair due to long-term diet and stress - reversible?

Manly5000

Reaction score
Hey all,

First time at the forum here. I'm not suffering from hairloss per se, but my hair is not as thick as it used to be. Just a bit about me first -- I'm 34 and have long hair, to just above my shoulders now but I plan to grow it as long as I can (hopefully to the small of my back at least) depending on my terminal length.

My ENTIRE life for the most part, I've had one of the worst diets you can imagine. Tons of junkfood, hardly any veggies, drink a 2 liter of Mt. Dew per day, that sort of thing. I also have a short temper and am always under a lot of stress. There are times though when I get serious with bodybuilding and eat better, but still neglect essential things (like veggies). Lately I've been reassessing myself and my life, and coming out of a long and miserable marriage I'm getting a chance to start things over. Been starting to eat much better and come up with a plan for great health and elimination of bad habits.

I feel very fortunate that I still have the same head of hair I did when I was young aside from thickness, especially considering I've taken absolutely horrible care of myself health-wise. I've always had a fairly high hairline and a somewhat unsightly cow-lick on the crown area, even as a little boy, but would hope to improve on them if at all possible.

My question is this -- if somebody is suffering thinning of hair or other hairloss ONLY due to a long-term horrible diet and high stress levels, would making a complete reversal of these problems result in restoration of the hair over time?

If I could get even a LITTLE thickness back I would feel a million times better about my mane, especially if I got enough back to improve the cowlick on the back. I would be similarly ecstatic if I could prompt new growth at the hairline and bring it down a little bit as well. I guess I was born somewhat unlucky in those regards, but I strive to restore or even surpass thickness and quality of hair I had when I was in my teens. Even back then my diet was total crap. Yes, I'm ashamed... :p

Your thoughts are appreciated. Look forward to the replies and to chatting with y'all!

s.a.f

Reaction score
Its most probably just age related thinning. Like so many others who've posted on here you're just fooling yourself thinking that its due to diet and stress. Hair is 99% genetics.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Manly5000. I can't tell from your post if you are thinning at the crown or what.

Many men at 34 will have moved into a more mature hair line at the front, that is not male pattern baldness.

On the other hand, many at that age may start to see male pattern baldness (thinning of hair at crown or in the front hair line). Mine did not start till about age 46! For me, it is more to do with DHT than age.

Don't get into denial thinking its a bad diet or stress or even age. Okay I'll give you this, bad diet or stress or age could have helped trigger male pattern baldness earlier than otherwise, but there are millions of dudes that eat and live perfect, yet go bald.

If you are seeing more hair than usual in the drain or brush, itchy inflammation, or seeing your scalp through thinning hair, that is your warning bell.

If yes to the above then get on Nizroal and finasteride now.

It it easier to keep hair with finasteride than to attempt to regrow hair lost to DHT damage, so don't muck around thinking you might try it next year or maybe its the weather or maybe age or this or maybe that. Read the forums etc., apply some science dude.

Manly5000

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

No, I have the exact same hairline that I've had my whole life. I was born with a high hairline and a cowlick at the crown. If I look at pics from when I was 8 years old, my hairline and crown region is identical to how it is now. I see the same amount of hair in the drain that I always have, maybe a dozen strands after a shower but usually less. My hair was never terribly thick, looking back at my senior picture in high school last night (where I also had it long) it almost looks identical to how it is now thickness wise.

Decent hair genetics on each side of the family -- Father still has a full head of hair at 61, his dad had most of his hair when he passed in his mid-80s. Mother's side hair is a bit thinner though so that's why mine isn't that thick to begin with, but I believe my only uncle on that side still has a full head.

I grew my hair out several years ago but cut it for a job, but I hadn't had it long since high school before then. My head of hair is exactly the same as it was when I grew it in 2005-2007, except in a bit better condition because I've learned a lot about proper haircare since then. :)

I'm convinced that I'm not suffering from hairloss, but regardless I've purchased some MSM and grape seed extract and will be adding many more supplements to my diet. One of my other horrible behaviors is that I almost NEVER drink water, which is huge for not only hair growth but normal bodily health and function. I'm certainly going to correct that!

If hairloss drugs can cause hair to grow where it's NEVER been before (i.e. bringing a high natural hairline forward), I might consider trying them in the future if I'm not happy with my natural approach and results.

Looking forward to more input. Thanks guys!

Edit: Forgot to mention - as to the question of where it's thinning, it's not "thinning" in one spot, or in the classic sense. Overall my hair is just uniformly thin and very "blah" for lack of a better term. :ermm:

s.a.f

Reaction score
Manly5000 said:
I'm convinced that I'm not suffering from hairloss, but regardless I've purchased some MSM and grape seed extract and will be adding many more supplements to my diet. One of my other horrible behaviors is that I almost NEVER drink water, which is huge for not only hair growth but normal bodily health and function. I'm certainly going to correct that!

If hairloss drugs can cause hair to grow where it's NEVER been before (i.e. bringing a high natural hairline forward), I might consider trying them in the future if I'm not happy with my natural approach and results.

Those supplements are not going to help you regrow hair. I'm telling you now this is just age. You should consider yourself lucky, did you really think that your hair would stay the same for your entire life?
It sounds like you dont have classic m.p.b ie going bald but like most things your hair is going to deteriorate slightly as you age.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Its most probably just age related thinning. Like so many others who've posted on here you're just fooling yourself thinking that its due to diet and stress. Hair is 99% genetics.

Saf is correct.

A healthy diet at best will slow the process down. It probably will not regrow the hair that you have already lost. Similarly a poor diet will accelerate male pattern baldness, simply because the follicles in your hair are not getting the nutrients and vitamins to encourage healthy hair growth (so is more likely to fall out prematurely).

Don't expect much regrowth, at best just expect a healthy diet to strengthen your existing hair follicles, and may help your maintain.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
hairrific said:
Don't get into denial thinking its a bad diet or stress or even age. Okay I'll give you this, bad diet or stress or age could have helped trigger male pattern baldness earlier than otherwise, but there are millions of dudes that eat and live perfect, yet go bald.

To be honest, from being a college student, most of my peers have absolutely sh*t diets. More to the point: a lot of people probably have very unbalanced diets - which is not uncommon. Also with take away food, ready made meals being easily accessible, it won't suprise me if this is the case.

Many of my friends do not eat enough fruit or veg (it is non existant in their diets), but rather live off a diet of pasta and mince, sauce etc. Alcohol consuption is very high amongst most of my peers too.

Since changing my diet, which was the above ^. One thing I will say, despite not having much regrowth, my existing hair seem much more thicker, as opposed to looking brittle and thin before when dry. It also looks shinier when dry. I can now wear my hair without products, and it looks like it has volume. Before changing my diet I remembered that my hair would look very fine when dry (so would use hair wax, gel) to make it thicker.

The cowlick at the back of my head seems to have shrunk too.

It's hard to believe that a bad diet has no affect on hairloss at all. Same goes with stress.

I agree though that it is all genetics in the end. But I also feel that you can accelerate the process.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Oknow said:
s.a.f said:

Saf is correct.

A healthy diet at best will slow the process down. It probably will not regrow the hair that you have already lost. Similarly a poor diet will accelerate male pattern baldness, simply because the follicles in your hair are not getting the nutrients and vitamins to encourage healthy hair growth (so is more likely to fall out prematurely).

Don't expect much regrowth, at best just expect a healthy diet to strengthen your existing hair follicles, and may help your maintain.

I dont even believe that!
There is simply too much evidenece to the contrary.
I'll say it again hairloss and hair characteristics are genetic. If you think that altering your diet will change that you are wrong. Just look at all the street junkies with awesome hair, there are even people who are seriously malnourished who have decent hair.
Anyone thinking that diet is a effective treatment for hairloss is deluding themselves. Its like an old man thinking that his wrinkles or failing eyesight is due to not eating enough vegetables. :roll:

Wise up guys, sooner or later you'll have to stop clutching at straws.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Oknow said:
[quote="s.a.f":2aaoazqp]Its most probably just age related thinning. Like so many others who've posted on here you're just fooling yourself thinking that its due to diet and stress. Hair is 99% genetics.

Saf is correct.

I dont even believe that!
There is simply too much evidenece to the contrary.
I'll say it again hairloss and hair characteristics are genetic. If you think that altering your diet will change that you are wrong. Just look at all the street junkies with awesome hair, there are even people who are seriously malnourished who have decent hair.
[/quote:2aaoazqp]

Has it ever occured to you that these individuals may not be prone to male pattern baldness to begin with? I dont think a good diet will stop the process, but at best will slow it down.

Similarly, a poor diet can prematurely age you anyway due to the formation of free radicals which can overtime cause cell death. The skin for example. Adequate vitamins is the only way one can prevent this.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Yep keep believing that your multivitamins will save you from hairloss. :whistle:

Sooner or later you'll realise. :shakehead:

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Yep keep believing that your multivitamins will save you from hairloss. :whistle:

Sooner or later you'll realise. :shakehead:

Well if it does get worse, I would probably take propecia. At 24, I don't like the idea of playing with my hormones unless it is absolutely neccessary.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I'd start now if I was you. And remember that you have about a 2% chance of side effects.

Oknow

My Regimen
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
I'd start now if I was you. And remember that you have about a 2% chance of side effects.

Yeah I need to give it some thought, havent ruled it out, my hair atm is quite thick so dont know if it is worth the risk:

Wet (depending on lighting and how it is brushed you can see scalp)

hair.jpg

dry

IMG01630.jpg

Front

top.jpg

With the above said I am using topical spironolactone on my temple points.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Err, where exactly is this thinning hair???????????? :dunno:

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
LOL, I agree. Where is it?

Maybe he is educated about male pattern baldness signs and expecting male pattern baldness in the future, therefore maybe his strategy is to stop male pattern baldness early before it starts or maybe he is just paranoid over a mature hairline?

karl_h

Established Member
Reaction score
Diet and stress would be considered environmental factors of hair loss and can be influenced by the hair loss sufferer.

Improving your diet (i.e. getting adequate amounts of protein, eating healthy carbohydrates) and lowering your stress levels will help you to regrow some of the hair that you have lost.

It is important to remember that hair loss has both genetic and environmental factors.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Yeah 99% genetic and maybe 1% enviroment.

hairrific

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone say if really low iron levels can cause hair loss or hinder regrowth?

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
Iron deficiency can cause thinning hair and some loss.

karl_h

Established Member
Reaction score
Having an iron deficiency can cause you to lose your hair.

Iron is one of the nutrients that are necessary in order to promote hair growth.

Some good sources of iron include meat, lentils and leafy green vegetables.