Thinning from minoxidil?

hoople

Reaction score
Ok, so i've been using minoxidil once a day for the last six months. I started off on 2% and then moved to 3.5%. Before using minoxidil I never counted my hair loss, I basically started minoxidil as soon as I was diagnosed as having Androgenetic Alopecia. I also think I have had Telogen Effluvium for many years. Now that i've been on minoxidil for six months I have seen my hair thin even further, also my scalp is itchy and burns sometimes. I have been shedding 100-200 on shower days and about 50 on non-shower days. I don't know how much I was shedding pre-minoxidil. I also had the minoxidil dread shed. I have however noticed a very small amount of regrowth, but generally my hair has thinned. Is this the minoxidil or just the natural progression of Androgenetic Alopecia? I don't know what to do. Should I stop using it? If I stop I lose the small amount of regrowth I have, if I continue I may further wreck my hair.
Can anyone advise me, I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place :-(.
Thankyou.
Julie

JohnnySeville

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure why you are using those offbrand minoxidil blends, you should be using the Rogaine Foam for best results. Also I notice topical saw palmetto in you regime. That will do nothing for you, either replace it with oral finasteride or if you are apprehensive about sides, then use either Revivogen or topical spironolactone to take care of the DHT issue. You can keep the Nizoral and Laser comb.

hoople

Reaction score
yes i'm a woman, 30 yr old.
I use kirkland minoxidil as I can't afford the foam, unfortunately.
thanks for the advice :)

Snoogans

Reaction score
hoople said:
yes i'm a woman, 30 yr old.
I use kirkland minoxidil as I can't afford the foam, unfortunately.
thanks for the advice :)

buying in bulk from amazon only sets you back $20/month for foam...

its so choice

otis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The three pack foam comes with a ten dollar coupon in side the box you can use that on you next purchase each time you buy it

hoople

Reaction score
Do you think I should continue to use minoxidil then, considering what I think is happening?

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I thought that women weren't meant to use Rogaine foam or finasteride?

hoople

Reaction score
Rogaine is fine, 5% is apparently ok too. I don't use finasteride as i'm not keen on theidea of taking pills.

Jojje

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well i saw a research on 2.5 mg finasteride for wimen... it works... but wimen who are trying to get pregnant or is pregnant should never come in contact with finasterid.
Because it can do damge to the production of the male genetalia.. if the baby is a boy.
Dont know if the research was any good.. but you could try too google it.
Finasterid for wimen.. maibe you can find some research on it.
because i dont remember where i read it sry.
GL though and i wouldnt get off the minoxidil.

hoople

Reaction score
Where is the best place to buy pg-free minoxidil? I can't buy from Dr Lee as I don't own a credit card (amazing I know!)
Cheers
Julie

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
Rogaine foam shouldn't have propylene glycol. I know you said it was too expensive, but if you change your mind.... Also, I think you've made a good choice to not use finasteride, at least not yet.

hoople

Reaction score
Thanks for that, I didn't realise the foam had no pg in it! I checked out Amazon too (as recommended by previous posters reply) and it isn't too expensive for me either. Excellent.
My mum popped round tonight and said that my part is looking narrower, she isn't one to lie about these things, so i'm quite chuffed about that (and there was me thinking my hair was getting worse, hard to be objective when its yourself with the hairloss isn't it)
Thanks guys :)