Thinning crown help!

George1994

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, I'm 26 and over the past 6 months I've noticed my crown showing a lot of my scalp! I've been obsessed with trying to fix this and It's effecting my mood and feels like it's taking over my life. It's making me more stressed which I know can result in more hair loss. I've started doing scalp massages with hair oil to see if that helps but I know I won't see any results for a while. But it's at a point where I really need some advice and help. What should I do? Thanks

Attachments

• AB9D29F9-1865-49F8-9468-8484DB46BC35.jpeg
    AB9D29F9-1865-49F8-9468-8484DB46BC35.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 15AB3077-F64D-4FC9-84FD-3B5B3DB805F6.jpeg
    15AB3077-F64D-4FC9-84FD-3B5B3DB805F6.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 2BBC2B0F-92EF-40BD-95D2-08C2F297BC4D.jpeg
    2BBC2B0F-92EF-40BD-95D2-08C2F297BC4D.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 40EE4A30-2668-414C-9075-6EB51B7D05F5.jpeg
    40EE4A30-2668-414C-9075-6EB51B7D05F5.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 164
  • A704202B-1E12-43D1-8D2F-2877DE9F431E.jpeg
    A704202B-1E12-43D1-8D2F-2877DE9F431E.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 173
  • C92CE036-9CBB-472F-9D02-6E7DF9444B52.jpeg
    C92CE036-9CBB-472F-9D02-6E7DF9444B52.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 163
  • 4A9F12C8-FA0E-4A45-9FD6-D35C3CF18B77.jpeg
    4A9F12C8-FA0E-4A45-9FD6-D35C3CF18B77.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 166
  • CB5DF061-242A-46AE-8CFB-19033506C3C4.jpeg
    CB5DF061-242A-46AE-8CFB-19033506C3C4.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 168

Ourkes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@George1994
I see a full head of healthy dark hair, and a whorl / cowlick displaying scalp, in the normal way when you combine lighting, camera exposure with dark hair and light skin. Throw in fine hair, straight hair etc and the visible impact is even more pronounced. My 13 yr old nephew has hair like this.

I do not see thinning.

Perhaps you never looked much at the back of your head and now you’re studying it, from all angles and under lighting, it is becoming exaggerated in you mind.

The back of my head is like this, last time I noticed was 30 and i’m now 41, no change.

any balding in your family?

George1994

My Regimen
Reaction score
@George1994
I see a full head of healthy dark hair, and a whorl / cowlick displaying scalp, in the normal way when you combine lighting, camera exposure with dark hair and light skin. Throw in fine hair, straight hair etc and the visible impact is even more pronounced. My 13 yr old nephew has hair like this.

I do not see thinning.

Perhaps you never looked much at the back of your head and now you’re studying it, from all angles and under lighting, it is becoming exaggerated in you mind.

The back of my head is like this, last time I noticed was 30 and i’m now 41, no change.

any balding in your family?

Thanks for replying!

Your right I've only recently been looking at the back of my head and worrying about it because I've never seen it before.

My family does pretty well with keeping their hair. My father is 56 and has started thinning around his crown and also receding at his hairline but this is natural for someone his age. I've bought a 23andMe kit to see what that tells me about my hair health etc, hopefully, I'm just stressed over nothing and it will be fine. I normally have shorter hair which I guess doesn't make it as pronounced?

Do you have any suggestions with regards to hair health and how you have been able to keep your hair healthy and full?

Thanks a lot.

Ourkes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for replying!

Your right I've only recently been looking at the back of my head and worrying about it because I've never seen it before.

My family does pretty well with keeping their hair. My father is 56 and has started thinning around his crown and also receding at his hairline but this is natural for someone his age. I've bought a 23andMe kit to see what that tells me about my hair health etc, hopefully, I'm just stressed over nothing and it will be fine. I normally have shorter hair which I guess doesn't make it as pronounced?

Do you have any suggestions with regards to hair health and how you have been able to keep your hair healthy and full?

Thanks a lot.
@George1994
You’re welcome. In all fairness, I don’t do anything in particular to maintain my hair or its health.

I simply try as much as possible to stay fit (which I am - always been active) and I eat very well, most of the time.

If my hair starts to deteriorate, I will look at applying topical finasteride or dutasteride with liposomal gel in the first instance.

May I ask, how severe is your Dad’s crown loss? Do you think it has been like that for years and it’s just showing up more now?

George1994

My Regimen
Reaction score
@George1994
You’re welcome. In all fairness, I don’t do anything in particular to maintain my hair or its health.

I simply try as much as possible to stay fit (which I am - always been active) and I eat very well, most of the time.

If my hair starts to deteriorate, I will look at applying topical finasteride or dutasteride with liposomal gel in the first instance.

May I ask, how severe is your Dad’s crown loss? Do you think it has been like that for years and it’s just showing up more now?
I don’t live with my Dad but I would say the past 5 years it’s slowly started to go. I’ve only recently noticed it more.

George1994

My Regimen
Reaction score
You are probably fine, mine looks the same, and i have 2 of them, so be glad at least you only have 1.
So far I’ve had mixed responses, some say get on a treatment and others say don’t worry about it. What do you do with 2 of them?

Ourkes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don’t live with my Dad but I would say the past 5 years it’s slowly started to go. I’ve only recently noticed it more.
@George1994
Probably just the normal loss of density which generally occurs as we get older.

Before you get on treatment, see a dermatologist or hair transplant surgeon as I disagree that what you are displaying thinning hair. There seems to be little regard on this forum for the factors I mentioned in my original post to you. It seems that if there is any visible scalp, people shout 'thinning get on treatment'. But what you are displaying is perfectly normal - particularly given you hair attributes, plus colour contract between scalp and hair, plus lighting and camera exposure. Take a look at the hair whirl and / or cowlick of others under such light and you'll see the same.

Of course, you could be thinning, like we all could, but it normally presents in a different way. Typically, you'll see uniform loss of density across an entire area, such as the crown. However, from what you have posted here, I do not see it.

If you are, treatments are fine, and there are many of them. However, seek the opinion of a medical professional before taking the plunge.

George1994

My Regimen
Reaction score
@George1994
Probably just the normal loss of density which generally occurs as we get older.

Before you get on treatment, see a dermatologist or hair transplant surgeon as I disagree that what you are displaying thinning hair. There seems to be little regard on this forum for the factors I mentioned in my original post to you. It seems that if there is any visible scalp, people shout 'thinning get on treatment'. But what you are displaying is perfectly normal - particularly given you hair attributes, plus colour contract between scalp and hair, plus lighting and camera exposure. Take a look at the hair whirl and / or cowlick of others under such light and you'll see the same.

Of course, you could be thinning, like we all could, but it normally presents in a different way. Typically, you'll see uniform loss of density across an entire area, such as the crown. However, from what you have posted here, I do not see it.

If you are, treatments are fine, and there are many of them. However, seek the opinion of a medical professional before taking the plunge.

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it! I'm going to book an appointment to see my GP first to see what they think, they may suggest I see a dermatologist as you said. I guess treatments work for a lot of people of the forum so they push others onto it because they know it works for them and it's something I will consider! Maybe a small dosage of Finasteride or something. Maybe it is just normal but it's frustrating as I still don't want a 'thinner' patch of hair around my crown. I could grow my hair longer to cover it but would rather make sure I've tackled the issues properly if I have one!

Ourkes

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it! I'm going to book an appointment to see my GP first to see what they think, they may suggest I see a dermatologist as you said. I guess treatments work for a lot of people of the forum so they push others onto it because they know it works for them and it's something I will consider! Maybe a small dosage of Finasteride or something. Maybe it is just normal but it's frustrating as I still don't want a 'thinner' patch of hair around my crown. I could grow my hair longer to cover it but would rather make sure I've tackled the issues properly if I have one!
@George1994
Pleasure. In all fairness, your GP will probably be clueless, mine was. You'll most likely have to pay for a private derm consultation which in the UK is about £150 - £200. Be sure to ask them directly about miniaturisation of the hair on your crown. My crown looked like yours (still does) and it was the area I was concerned about most, until a derm held a dermatoscope against it and let me see the hair on my crown up close. I was surprised to see so much normal hair was growing, very little miniaturisation - remember, we all have a little bit of this, even non balding folk. Just goes to show that scalp showing at the whorl or cowlick can be somewhat of an illusion of thinning.

jazz1

Reaction score
The BIG3, see a professional first and get tested as that looks like male pattern baldness, these will work:

Finasterice
Minoxidil
Ketaconazole