Thinning At a Young Age and the Effectiveness of the Big 3

member5959

Reaction score
Well, i'm almost 19 and a half and have been on propecia for 4 1/2 months and on minoxodil for 3 1/2 months as well as nizoral and t gel. So far things are not going well, i'm probably about a norwood 2 and recently have noticed a thinning crown...I know that it is relatively early, but i'm starting to get very discouraged. Well anyways my question is, have any of you guys who started to thin a young age experienced good to moderate results with the big 3?

Vampa

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much if I were you. In the first sticky thread, one of the users posted an article about finasteride and basically everyone gets an increased shed at around 3 months (I know you're slightly beyond that, but it's still reasonable). Plus, the minoxidil may be increasing the actual shed you have. However, both of these are proven to work on the crown so I really think you're going to do better than you think in that area.

As far as your temples, well, I think there was a study someone threw up on another board that said 52% of people who applied minoxidil to their temples saw growth, but I wouldn't expect too much. I know you're young (same age as when I started dealing with this, I'm 21 now) but that Norwood 2 won't bother you as much as you'd think so long as you keep the rest of your hair in good shape.

supernova

Established Member
Reaction score
Been losing hair since high school. Over 5 years later, I've done alright on the big three.

MrBen

Reaction score
I just started month 4 yesterday for propecia and I have shed quite a bit but I guess if I just maintain what I have now I'd be fine... I guess. I have a friggen bald spot forming and receding temples, but it's not too noticeable yet as long as my hair is about 1.5 inches long. I hope it gets better.