Thinking of throwing in the towel

lkm370

Established Member
Reaction score
In 3 months I will turn 25. I have been battling hair loss for about 2 years. started both finasteride and dutasteride a year ago and it kept the rest of my hair from falling out. my brother was visibly bald by my age now so the meds did their part. despite the fact I have retained my hair, I'm thinking of just tossing in the towel and sending the rest of my hair to the Norwood cementary. Why?

1) my hair continues to thin and recede albeit slowly.
2) my hair is always greasy, brittle, and thin
3) I have terrible dandruff that never goes away
4) worried about what unknown effect dutasteride and finasteride will have on my future health
5) I'm beginning to suspect these drugs are giving me severe mood swings and depression. ever since I started my regimen, I have frequent bouts of severe debilitating depression.
6) massively shedding lately. cant run my hands through my hair without a s*it ton of hair falling.

and most importantly of all:

7) just time to up and face the fact I'm not meant to have hair. despite taking both finasteride and dutasteride, I'm still losing hair. whats the ****ing point anymore. the inevitable is coming.

here I sit with a Norwood 1.5 hairline and I just don't have it me to keep fighting this. I never thought I'd accept letting myself go bald but for the sake of my sanity and peace of mind, I just want to say **** it.

am I making the right decision on this or am I just being hasty?

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
In 3 months I will turn 25. I have been battling hair loss for about 2 years. started both finasteride and dutasteride a year ago and it kept the rest of my hair from falling out. my brother was visibly bald by my age now so the meds did their part. despite the fact I have retained my hair, I'm thinking of just tossing in the towel and sending the rest of my hair to the Norwood cementary. Why?

1) my hair continues to thin and recede albeit slowly.
2) my hair is always greasy, brittle, and thin
3) I have terrible dandruff that never goes away
4) worried about what unknown effect dutasteride and finasteride will have on my future health
5) I'm beginning to suspect these drugs are giving me severe mood swings and depression. ever since I started my regimen, I have frequent bouts of severe debilitating depression.
6) massively shedding lately. cant run my hands through my hair without a s*it ton of hair falling.

and most importantly of all:

7) just time to up and face the fact I'm not meant to have hair. despite taking both finasteride and dutasteride, I'm still losing hair. whats the ****ing point anymore. the inevitable is coming.

here I sit with a Norwood 1.5 hairline and I just don't have it me to keep fighting this. I never thought I'd accept letting myself go bald but for the sake of my sanity and peace of mind, I just want to say **** it.

am I making the right decision on this or am I just being hasty?

1.5?

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
i know lol. WTF

are you trolling op?

post a damn picture so we can see through the BDD u most likely have

lkm370

Established Member
Reaction score
no I'm not trolling. though from a distance my hair looks fine, up close its wimpy, thin, greasy, constant dandruff flakes, etc...

yes, I'm lucky I've kept my hair but having to deal with these persistent symptoms plus massive shedding lately is driving me nuts

I literally have so much dandruff, I cant leave the house someday. and yes, I've tried damn near every shampoo including 150 dollar dermatologist shampoos. what the ****s the point of keeping your hair when it just looks ****ing disgusting and is so greasy it smells.

pic:

2uieys2.jpg

The Far Side

Established Member
Reaction score
any side pics? at a glance I'd be ecstatic to be in that situation

lkm370

Established Member
Reaction score
any side pics? at a glance I'd be ecstatic to be in that situation

ill post some.

its not BDD lol, its just that even though im keeping my hair, I have severe dandruff, oil over production resulting in constant greasy hair and other problems as listed above. I cant wear black shirts because of my dandruff and there's always flakes falling from my head when I move. no joke. its just making me sick of trying to treat this.

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
Against oily dandruff, you have to try everything. I have had sebborheic dermatitis since the beginning of puberty so I know the nightmare it can be !
I've started using propecia a month ago and it made my dandruff problem A LOT worse, maybe because of the increase of T levels I don't know. Anyway I've improved my regimen and it's better now.

First, you need a healthy diet : as little fat as possible, lots of vegetables, no junk food. Also, too much alcohol is likely to make you have more dandruff for a few days.

Then try zinc pyrithione, if it doesn't work, drop it, if it works but not enough, alternate with another product, like coal tar, ketoconazole, cycloprox olamine, salicylic acid etc. Repeat this until you find your ideal combo.
The only natural remedy I've found to work is apple cider vinegar.

None of these products alone has worked for me. Right now I use salicylic acid, ketoconazole and sometimes apple cider vinegar. Salicylic is the best for removing dandruff and the other two are here to prevent it from appearing again.
Five minutes before shampoo, I mix 500mg or 1000mg of aspirin in a glass of water and apply it on my scalp, then I shampoo with nizoral 2% (every 2 days). Once a week, I apply apple cider vinegar on my head for 30-45 minutes before using a gentle shampoo. Then I repeat this cycle.

You have good looking hair, you may regret it if you abandon your treatment, though if you're sure this is what causes your dandruff, I'll understand.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
your hair is thick as ****ing ****

altho its possible there was slight crown thinning and u jumped on finasteride for it

but if that was the case why the **** did u need to get on finasteride AND dutasteride?

just finasteride is good enough, jeesus ****ing christ. finasteride AND dutasterise when u are a thick as **** norwood 0.5?

talk about overkill

thats probably the reason for the scalp issues

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain that is close to a NW2. No perfect hairline, but it's no Norwood 7 lol.

lkm370

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain that is close to a NW2. No perfect hairline, but it's no Norwood 7 lol.

Yeah, I'm heading into NW2 territory. Id say I'm currently in between NW1 and NW2.

your hair is thick as ****ing ****

Not really. The lighting and the camera quality do it no justice. I have always had naturally coarse thick hair so a little looks a lot. I've probably lost about 40% of my hair density since I started balding but it still manages to look thick until you get up close.

but if that was the case why the **** did u need to get on finasteride AND dutasteride?

just finasteride is good enough, jeesus ****ing christ. finasteride AND dutasterise when u are a thick as **** norwood 0.5?

talk about overkill

thats probably the reason for the scalp issues

Here's why: I have a brother whose 2 years older than me so he was basically thinning into a NW5/6 pattern before I began losing hair. I thought I had escaped having the hairloss gene because my father is 60 with a head full of hair and I take after my fathers thick, coarse, and wavy hair. Before I began losing my hair at 22 yo, I had probably the thickest, coarsest, fullest hair out of any guy I knew. It was insane. I had to straighten it twice a day, put tons of gel just to get it under control, I mean it even added 1.5 inches to my overall height. I literally got laid solely on how good my hair looked and how nicely it framed my face.

I began losing my hair around 22 years old, at first it started with always having a ton of hair on my pillows and after straightening my hair followed by the male pattern baldness itch and constant dandruff(yes I had dandruff problems before I lost my hair). I didn't think anything of it till I hit 23 and one day lifted my bangs and looked in the mirror, my hair had grown thinner. I still took no action until 4 months later because I was in self denial about losing me hair. My hair used to be so thick, it literally formed a wall above my forehead, like you could not see in between other hairs or any scalp but now I could. By now my brother was visibly balding so rather than risk just relying on finasteride to save my hair, I threw in dutasteride.

- - - Updated - - -

I have tried nearly every shampoo you listed including apple cider vinegar and some 150 dollar shampoo by derm prescribed. nothing works and tbh its just so damn exhausting. I spend more time checking for flakes in the mirror than I do even caring about losing my hair anymore. My brother who is Norwood 5/6 just shaved his damn head and he had all the same problems until he shaved it.

The wierd thing is that I also get dandruff and skin flakes on my beard and eyebrows...like WTF? Its not even just my scalp.

bald29

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are mainly looking for advice, mine would be: don't give up. There really is no life without hair, especially at such a young age.

Also, have you seen a doctor? It sounds like you are just prescribing and diagnosing yourself, which is generally not a good idea (I could be wrong though but I get that idea from your posts).

lkm370

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are mainly looking for advice, mine would be: don't give up. There really is no life without hair, especially at such a young age.

Also, have you seen a doctor? It sounds like you are just prescribing and diagnosing yourself, which is generally not a good idea (I could be wrong though but I get that idea from your posts).

Been to a derm, didn't help. once i told her my brother was balding and my moms father went bald, they were pretty much like your ****ed, heres propecia

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
how long have u been on propecia?

u need to be on it a whole year AT LEAST before u can judge its effectiveness

also nizoral shud help with the itchiness

and upload a picture in natural mid day sunlight

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Proper care of hair is very important because its an important part of our beauty.

Such a loaded statement. So if one takes all the precautions to take care of their hair but yet still goes bald due to GENETICS, then who's responsibility is that failure? The correct answer is NO ONE. Because it's not your fault you went bald. YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THIS SO STOP ASCRIBING SOME DEEPER BLAME TO THE AFFLICTED!! A hole.

IDW2BB

Established Member
Reaction score
Such a loaded statement. So if one takes all the precautions to take care of their hair but yet still goes bald due to GENETICS, then who's responsibility is that failure? The correct answer is NO ONE. Because it's not your fault you went bald. YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER THIS SO STOP ASCRIBING SOME DEEPER BLAME TO THE AFFLICTED!! A hole.

nobody is to blame. but control can be attained for most.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
no I'm not trolling. though from a distance my hair looks fine, up close its wimpy, thin, greasy, constant dandruff flakes, etc...

yes, I'm lucky I've kept my hair but having to deal with these persistent symptoms plus massive shedding lately is driving me nuts

I literally have so much dandruff, I cant leave the house someday. and yes, I've tried damn near every shampoo including 150 dollar dermatologist shampoos. what the ****s the point of keeping your hair when it just looks ****ing disgusting and is so greasy it smells.

pic:

2uieys2.jpg

Is this some kind of sick joke?

lkm370

Established Member
Reaction score
no offence, but if you honestly think I posted this as a troll thread than you guys are a bunch of assholes. it was a legitimate thread looking for legitimate advice. whether or not you believe it I dont care. just because I still have hair on my head dosent mean im not losing it. if you have nothing to contribute to my post then dont write your knee jerk "this is another troll post" reaction as seems to be common on this forum.

all I wanted to know was judging by my symptoms whether or not I should quit dutasteride and finasteride and just lose my hair. if you have no opinion then dont write comments here accusing me of being some troll. im not exactly happy about the fact im losing my hair and its made me depressed for the last year.

like I said, yes I have hair as shown in the pic but my lately ive been shedding excessively, my scalp is ridiculous flaky, my hair greasy and oily, and my temples receding fast. all I want to know judging my these symptoms is if I should just call it quits and let the godamned hair fall out.

2bald2young

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I was going to give you a golden tip to have a bigger chance off keeping your hair because I had the same problem, but apparently we are just bald phaggots? :/ Also people that someone is still a nw2 doesn't mean he is not losing his hair, I think he is serious.