Thinking Of Switching From Finasteride To Dutasteride

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Duasteride blocks 5AR1 100x more than Finasteride and 5AR2 around 3x more than Finasteride. The fact is some people may not do great long term on Finasteride and others may do better of Duasteride. 5AR2 is what is responsible for hair loss and Duasteride more completely inhibits this. It inhibiting 5AR1 is unhelpful and can cause worrying long term side effects such as lipid issues. If I were to take Duasteride, I would take a lower dosage such as .5mg 3x per week. Before switching from Finasteride to Duasteride I would try oral+topical Finasteride and oral Minoxidil (low dose).

Koval

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to bump this thread,
but I'm really curious to know if anyone has made the jump from finasteride to dutasteride, but now regrets that decision.
I just want to get both sides of the story, good and bad, before I proceed.

Long John Silver

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to bump this thread,
but I'm really curious to know if anyone has made the jump from finasteride to dutasteride, but now regrets that decision.
I just want to get both sides of the story, good and bad, before I proceed.

One of my Bros switched from finasteride to dutasteride and said he couldn't think straight and it destroyed his temples. He switched back to finasteride. Just one story so take it with grain of salt bro since too many factors.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
this thread is legendary !
wonder if the dude is taking an aromatase inhibitor and low dose of test ( his physique on the last pic is suspicious)
I bet he would have been a great responder to fina too !

Thoughts on that combo or was it a joke?

Low dose TRT/low dose Natural AI (alchemy) and Finasteride?

I’ve been on topical finasteride for about two months still shedding like crazy. T dropped but been ok with sides otherwise. Lift and run marathons and was thinking of mixing in oral finasteride with low dose androgel.

Koval

My Regimen
Reaction score
One of my Bros switched from finasteride to dutasteride and said he couldn't think straight and it destroyed his temples. He switched back to finasteride. Just one story so take it with grain of salt bro since too many factors.
I wish dutasteride were simply an addition, but taking it means giving up finasteride, and potentially replacing something that works with something that doesn't. Then again, it might actually revive some of my miniaturised hairs. It's a gamble.

ljb118

Reaction score
I wish dutasteride were simply an addition, but taking it means giving up finasteride, and potentially replacing something that works with something that doesn't. Then again, it might actually revive some of my miniaturised hairs. It's a gamble.

I thought some people add a once or twice weekly dose on top of their finasteride regime in some cases?

Either way dutasteride would be my last resort in terms of addition. And I’d get a hormone panel done beforehand. I suspect lower testosterone individuals are more prone to harsh sides.

shadowcast

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I suspect something similar will happen here. I'll worry about it for a bit. Then, one day, the sight of my defoliated noggin will push me into action.

This is me, except I worried for like 10 years before finally jumping on finasteride. No sides, but my hair is too far gone to be repaired. After a year of finasteride with no regrowth, it didn't take me long to jump on dutasteride. Glad I did so far.