Thinking Of Starting finasteride. Need Some Advise

Jtay151

Reaction score
I'm only 22 and my hair has been thinning at the temples for the past 6 months. I usually keep my hair buzzed but I grew it out a little and now the thinning is obvious. Afraid Imma go bald or have a whack hairline in my 20s so I'm thinking of taking finasteride. I'm just afraid it won't stop the hairloss and will cause sexual sides.

Seeing a derm on Wednesday. Just looking for advise.

Here's a pic of the thinning

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 201

kizzle1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude I'd say go for it and worse case is that you quit if you get severe side and there like a 99% chance you'll recover. I'm 22 as well. I was in your position for a few months just agonizing over whether to take finasteride or not, weighing the pros and cons. Such a small percentage of men get any side effects and an even smaller percentage get lasting side effects. I decided taking such a small risk was worth it for hair. I finally went and got a prescription for it and started taking about 4 days ago. So far so good. No side effects other than maybe some minor ball ache but that could be just be in my head. Take it and don't think about it, you'll sleep easier knowing that you're doing something about your hair loss.

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
More photos? Theres some thinning on the side but not so much on top in this photo, best to make sure your hairloss is consistent with male pattern baldness before starting medication. Has your hairline receded also on the forehead?

Edit: No prob if youre seeing a derm wed, they can immediately tell you if its male pattern baldness or not.

Jtay151

Reaction score
More photos? Theres some thinning on the side but not so much on top in this photo, best to make sure your hairloss is consistent with male pattern baldness before starting medication. Has your hairline receded also on the forehead?

Edit: No prob if youre seeing a derm wed, they can immediately tell you if its male pattern baldness or not.

It's not actually thinning on the sides, that's just what the curls on the sides look like sometimes. The thinning is on the temples. See at the corner where the hairline goes inward? That used to just go straight across.
Yeah I'll find out tomorrow what the Doctor says

Jtay151

Reaction score
Dude I'd say go for it and worse case is that you quit if you get severe side and there like a 99% chance you'll recover. I'm 22 as well. I was in your position for a few months just agonizing over whether to take finasteride or not, weighing the pros and cons. Such a small percentage of men get any side effects and an even smaller percentage get lasting side effects. I decided taking such a small risk was worth it for hair. I finally went and got a prescription for it and started taking about 4 days ago. So far so good. No side effects other than maybe some minor ball ache but that could be just be in my head. Take it and don't think about it, you'll sleep easier knowing that you're doing something about your hair loss.
Appreciate the reply. I'll find out if it's male pattern baldness tomorrow at the derm and I'll go from there. Taking finasteride would probably help me sleep better at night since there's a good chance I'm stopping my hairloss in its tracks and a low chance for sexual sides. Are there any other sides besides that though? I seen brain fog on a couple posts but idk of that's true or not.

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes i see a recession there and wondered if you had any receding hairline on the forehead. well, maybe it is too early to see the other sure signs of male pattern baldness but tomorrow youll know for sure anyway so no need to speculate further here.

If you check some other posts here there are some indications that Fina has best effect on late onset male pattern baldness, like guys who get it at around age 30. Unfortunately the results are often diminishing for guys who start losing hair in their teens, theres still no perfect cure.

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I seen brain fog on a couple posts but idk of that's true or not.
Brainfog sideeffects on many medications tend to affect nearly as many placebo users as users of the real medicine. In other words highluy unlikely. Sexual problems is a real side effect, i had a significant reduction in sperm volume on Fina, havent experienced that on dutasteride, i really like Duta but im not gonna recommend it until i used it a few months without incidents, im just on my second week so...

Jtay151

Reaction score
Yes i see a recession there and wondered if you had any receding hairline on the forehead. well, maybe it is too early to see the other sure signs of male pattern baldness but tomorrow youll know for sure anyway so no need to speculate further here.

If you check some other posts here there are some indications that Fina has best effect on late onset male pattern baldness, like guys who get it at around age 30. Unfortunately the results are often diminishing for guys who start losing hair in their teens, theres still no perfect cure.

There's nothing noticeable in the front of the hairline but in bright light I think there is some diffuse thinning in the front. I still have a full head of hair so if anything the male pattern baldness is in an extremely early stage. Haven't heard anything about it not working well in your 20s though

abcdefg

Reaction score
Go by what the derm tells you. Its the best and only real option so you really have to consider it

Last edited:

kizzle1

My Regimen
Reaction score
Appreciate the reply. I'll find out if it's male pattern baldness tomorrow at the derm and I'll go from there. Taking finasteride would probably help me sleep better at night since there's a good chance I'm stopping my hairloss in its tracks and a low chance for sexual sides. Are there any other sides besides that though? I seen brain fog on a couple posts but idk of that's true or not.

Honestly no side effects other than that so far. The ball ache is kinda uncomfortable sometimes but I hear it passes after a week or so. Haven't experienced any sexual side effects or brain fog so I'm hopefully in the majority of men who don't get sides. I hear finasteride makes some people tired so I've just been taking it at night to be safe.

horunger

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly no side effects other than that so far. The ball ache is kinda uncomfortable sometimes but I hear it passes after a week or so. Haven't experienced any sexual side effects or brain fog so I'm hopefully in the majority of men who don't get sides. I hear finasteride makes some people tired so I've just been taking it at night to be safe.
I have used Fina before and yeah the testicle pain gets better after a while but sexual sideeffects dont start at once on Fina. I got increased sexual ability when i started but it went down after a few days, to normal and maybe a bit below normal. In 1-2 weeks more you should know if theres a decline if you have similar response to fina as i had.